a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Sniper

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I beat you to it
Btw, talking of Oaks, didn't the Accadies settled in the Louisiane because of the presence of Oaks on the berges?
A Coq d ' Indes is a Turkey ?

A Coq D'Indes is a Turkey, yes. In Metropolitan French, the word has been shortened to Dinde, but that's the origin.

Bayou Coq D'Indes is of course, 'Turkey Bayou'. So-named because of the wild turkeys common in the area when the French arrived.

A lot of local place names are like that. Pointe Aux Pins, Pointe Aux Huitres, Pointe Aux Chênes, Isle Petit Bois, Isle Aux Herbes, Bayou Coq D'Indes, Bayou Coquille, Grande Baie, Baie Aux Herons, Bayou (de) La Batterie, Rivière Des Poules
Rivière des Chiens... stuff like that. The French just named shit after whatever they found nearby... when they weren't naming things after one of the King Louis's. (Usually 9th and 14th).

As to the Acadiens: They didn't settle so much as resettle after being kicked out of Canada by the Brits starting in 1757.
Now, Acadie had been under British rule since 1710, and the Acadiens had proven basically ungovernable-- outright rebellion in wartime and organizing the Indians to raid Anglo settlements in peacetime. After 47 years of this crap, the Brits were getting a bit peeved. So, when the Seven Years War kicks off, the Brits decided they weren't going to have the French at their front AND the French speaking, Catholic, quarrelsome Acadiens at their backs this time.... so, they promptly threw the Acadiens out at the outset of hostilities.

Initially, they were sent to the 13 Colonies, but the Acadiens didn't like that worth a damn, so they left and tried both Sainte Domingue (Haïti) and France proper. Haiti was too hot/disease ridden, and France wasn't a dreamboat either. Louisiana (believed by the Acadiens to still be under French rule) was kind of a last resort.

I'm not sure if Oaks had much to do with it; maybe USMCRET has heard this story.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
now i know that my opinion on Shinto was correct. I wish i could just live in a temple in Japan. Maybe it´s why i enjoy going into the woods ..

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The founder of Aikido changed his thinking after he was influenced by Shinto. The Daito Ryu was changed to Aiki Budo then Aikido (Iwama Ryu). Always liked reading about it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Pointe aux Pins. ..talking of Pins (is a tree)
The pointed steeple that colapsed was built with Pin wood. Thinner and more inflamble. It didn't resist long

Christophe Castaner, Ministre de l ' Intérieur, felicitates : Les Pompiers, the Police and the Operation Sentinelle

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The pointed steeple that colapsed was built with Pin wood. Thinner and more inflamble. It didn't resist long

Christophe Castaner, Ministre de l ' Intérieur, felicitates : Les Pompiers, the Police and the Operation Sentinelle
maybe it had a bit of help? think about it.. as you wrote multiple firms working there. A strange face..who will ask who that person is. Also the Tweet about the fact it was set on purpose from christopher j. hale.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There was lead soldering going on during the rénovation. ..the employees working at the time are being interviewed now
No one has confirmed the presence or absence of heat detectors on site during the renove
Most fires are caused during renovations

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There was lead soldering going on during the rénovation. ..the employees working at the time are being interviewed now
No one has confirmed the presence or absence of heat detectors on site during the renove
Most fires are caused during renovations
well it´s good they are interviewing the workers.. do they all work for the said firms? how long have they worked there? are they known by the police? i think that a person of anti-christian religion went in there and set it alight. France has had a wave of church attacks...but yeh.just a one off..right?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am openly against the "Religion of Peace". not a dreamer. look at their history. when i see these people, if you want to call them that openly celebrating the fire then yes i despise them. It is what it is. no liberal left bullsh$t here .

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
5 different firms were working (all at the same time ? Dont know) There was scaffolders too but i cant see them being the cause
Over 700 million € promised in dontations
3. 5 million already in the government collect pot
Catho's rubbing their hands with joy and praying that the Pope is going to visit, at last
Am worried that the ROMS might steal the Eifel tower and melt it down to be sold at the scrap yard

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
5 different firms were working (all at the same time ? Dont know) There was scaffolders too but i cant see them being the cause
Over 700 million € promised in dontations
3. 5 million already in the government collect pot
Catho's rubbing their hands with joy and praying that the Pope is going to visit, at last
Better to re-build than repair, yes i see where you are going with this and there are a few who share this opinion. I do not share this opinion though. they call people like me right populists now ... :ROFLMAO:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Nôtre Dame is the most visited monument in Europe (didn't know that)
Remember when Windsor went up?

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

No wonder it burned up in 13 minutes. Something structural like that, you need to use yellow pine, preferably heart wood. It's strong as all getout, but flammable as sin. (Yellow heartwood pine is also know as " Fat Lighter").

My ancestral home was built from fat lighter timbers. It would have went up like a goddamned match if it had ever caught. Instead, Katrina took her.