a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spaniards in French Foreign Legion, 1934-1955

H

hannibal

Unregistered
I was wondering if anyone of you know or has heard for any books written by former Spanish legionnaires who had fought in the Legion from 1934 to 1955. After the collapse of the Spanish Republic in 1939 thousands of Spanish Republican soldiers joined the FFL, yet strangely enough I am having very difficult times to locate any memoires or books about them, especially about any who took part in the defence of France 1940, Narvik 1940, Indochina 1941-45 and Syria 1941. Anyone can help? Maybe you Peter? ;)

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The only thing I know is that many republicans Spaniards fought in WWII with the 13DBLE which was part of the Free French Forces.

H

hannibal

Unregistered
Patrick Hervier said:
The only thing I know is that many republicans Spaniards fought in WWII with the 13DBLE which was part of the Free French Forces.
Patrick: Yes, that is true. But I am looking if anyone of them has left any memoires about Narvik campaign? I have so far found the memoires of French, Swedish, Danish, Italian, Belgian, Dutch, German, English and Czech legionnaire from the Battle of Narvik 1940, but sadly none from Spanish, although most of the 13th DBLE was made up from them. I have only found this:

http://andaluciajunta.es/CCVV_FDComu_CAE/0,19057,5263732_7191540,00.html?fpChannel=7191540

Speaking of Narvik 1940 I was wondering if the Legion Memorial in Aubagne also contains any names of the sixty-seven legionnaires of the 13th DBLE who were killed at Narvik. Is there in the Command of the Legion in Aubagne any memorial book dedicated to this battle with their names listed on? I have so far only found about a couple of names and they come mostly from the photos from French military cemetery in Narvik.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I can't remember where I saw it, but one Spanish book about Narvik and the Legion there. And I remember thinking it was strange it was printed in Spain 1941 or 1942, if it was by a Spanish Republican who had joined the Legion after the Spanish civil war.

Another Spanish book which I am sure I saw on the net, but now can't find anything about, is about Spanish during WW 2, and their uniforms/units I think. The cover was a color illustration of a legionnaire. Does anybody know of that book?

H

hannibal

Unregistered
Peter Lyderik said:
I can't remember where I saw it, but one Spanish book about Narvik and the Legion there. And I remember thinking it was strange it was printed in Spain 1941 or 1942, if it was by a Spanish Republican who had joined the Legion after the Spanish civil war.
Hm... :) Peter, I will pm you in a few minutes with the title of a Spanish book which my late friend and I found some months ago while going through some Spanish catalogues. You will then tell me if this is the book which you have had on your mind, OK?

Peter Lyderik said:
Another Spanish book which I am sure I saw on the net, but now can't find anything about, is about Spanish during WW 2, and their uniforms/units I think. The cover was a color illustration of a legionnaire. Does anybody know of that book?
Could this be this one:

Antoine (Antonio) Ysquierdo: "Ces hommes de la Légion ... qui meurent pour la gloire"

L'auteur: Après le désastre de 1940, dès l'age de 18 ans, Antoine Ysquierdo, poussé par sa volonté de participer à la guerre, s'engage à la Légion Etrangère. Pendant plus de 20 ans, il suit l'immense trajectoire des hommes de guerre du R.M.L.E, du 3ème R.E.I, de la Légion Etrangère parachutiste.
Légionnaire de 2ème classe en Tunisie ( 1942), chef de groupe, de la Provence à l'Autriche, chef de section en Indochine où il combat plusieurs années, et participe à la tragédie de Diên Biên Phu, il est capitaine en Algérie. Blessé au combat, quatorze fois cité, il est officier de la Légion d'honneur à titre exceptionnel.
Une carrière civile réussie qui lui a laissé le loisir de rédiger d'autres ouvrages, preuve de son talent d'écrivain:
"Une guerre pour rien" (la Table Ronde) et " De la coupe aux lèvres" (Nouvelles éditions Latines). Nul ne parait plus qualifié que lui pour conter la geste de ses compagnons d'armes, la saga héroique de ces Français par le sang versé. Officier de la Légion d'honneur, quatorze fois cité, dont cinq à l'ordre de l'armée.

L'éditeur: Les éditions du Camelot et de la Joyeuse Garde. 1993. 351 pages. Format 15 x 22. ISBN:2 87898 003 4

Front Cover 1: http://www.livres-legion-etrangere.com/574AUT.jpg

Front Cover 2: http://www.livres-legion-etrangere.com/573AUT.jpg

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
No, it is not that one. The one I saw was in Spanish, and though my Spanish is next to nothing, I am sure the title was about Spanish participants in WW 2. The cover of the book was a full figure illustration of a legionnaire.

H

hannibal

Unregistered
Hm... Well, there is another Spanish book about the legion that I have seen but it is about Catalonian Volunteers in the Foreign Legion during the Great War 1914-1918. I have seen the thesis or a book in the Catalogue of the University Library in Barcelona.

Spain Marines reservist

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know the 13th Foreign Legion Demi-Brigade was full of Spaniards and they fought bravely in Norway (the Brigade´s general saw that to the Legion Chief General), but I don´t know books about that campaing.
Here, in Spain, about the Spaniards who fought in WWll, are a lot of books about those who fought on the Easter Front/Russia campaing in the German Army (Blue Division and Blue Legion), but I think no books about the Foreign Legion Spaniards in Norway.
I´m sorry. :(

H

hannibal

Unregistered
I know the 13th Foreign Legion Demi-Brigade was full of Spaniards and they fought bravely in Norway (the Brigade´s general saw that to the Legion Chief General), but I don´t know books about that campaing.
I am sorry to hear that. I would have thought that by now one of the numerous Spanish volunteers who served with the Foreign Legion in World War 2 would have published or at least written something. Big shame... :(
Here, in Spain, about the Spaniards who fought in WWll, are a lot of books about those who fought on the Easter Front/Russia campaing in the German Army (Blue Division and Blue Legion), but I think no books about the Foreign Legion Spaniards in Norway.
Yes, I know that (Ezquerra, Munoz-Grandes...). It is really too bad there are no [Spanish] memoires from Narvik. Or other places, where 13th DBLE has fought during WW2. As Peter has mentioned before there is one Spanish book about Narvik, which could be a book of memoires by a former Spanish legionnaire, but it was published in 1942 and the only copy I have found so far is apparently to be stored in the National Library in Madrid. Do you know anyone who could help us to check this book and confirm whether it goes for a propaganda book or memoires of a Spanish legionnaire?

Aside this keep your eyes open for any Spanish Legion books or articles. You might never know when we find one, although right now the situation looks pretty hopeless.

Hannibal, ¿eres español?. ¿De Barcelona?. Lo digo por lo del catálogo de la Universidad de Barcelona.
No, no soy español. He visitado Barcelona un par hace de años. Una ciudad hermosa. I hope my Spanish is OK. :D

No. Creo que es Esloveno.
Next time Patrick I would like if you don't put "your words into my mouth". :mad: What I am or where do I come from is my private matter. I don't ask you (or anyone else) any personal questions and expect the same in return.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
hannibal said:
Next time Patrick I would like if you don't put "your words into my mouth". :mad: What I am or where do I come from is my private matter. I don't ask you (or anyone else) any personal questions and expect the same in return.
Well... To be honest, I didn't think it was such a big secret, since you largely disclosed yourself the country where you're from in the thread about Bobby Dovecar. Anyway, sorry if you found me too intrusive...
P.S : how are the elephants doing ? ;)

H

hannibal

Unregistered
Since the Spanish Marine reservist was banned from this list ( :confused: ) I was wondering if we have here any other French Foreign Legion enthusiasts from Spain? I might have found three or four books about Spanish legionnaires from World War II (including Narvik), so naturally I would like to hear some second opinion of those who have read these books or would be willing to check them in their local libraries...

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
hannibal said:
Since the Spanish Marine reservist was banned from this list ( :confused: ) I was wondering if we have here any other French Foreign Legion enthusiasts from Spain? I might have found three or four books about Spanish legionnaires from World War II (including Narvik), so naturally I would like to hear some second opinion of those who have read these books or would be willing to check them in their local libraries...
This individual was banned at my request for making despicable racist comments about the Muslims and/or Arabs in general, in spite of having been previously warned - End of the story -
For the rest, I don't know.

H

hannibal

Unregistered
Well, banned or not banned I still look for someone from Spain.