a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So has anyone recently been served in 2REG?

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Hello all,

I'm curious about the 2REG, and the information I've found on other threads or wikipedia hasn't been enough.
I'm wondering if anyone has any recent info on the following:
-Are there any dedicated infantry companies or are all of the CIEs 1-4 combat engineers?
-What do people mean by 'Genie regiments are laid back and there's no bullshit'? I hear it a lot when they're compared to the REP and REIs.
-Are they deployed out of France as often as 2REI for example?
-What is daily training like, what do you do there?
-Are GCM and PCG recruited from 2REG or are they transferred from 2REP (which might have better-trained infantry? Correct me if I'm wrong).
-Are combat engineers lacking in combat training and less capable as fighters than the infantry due to more focus on engineering tasks and less on infantry maneuvers?

All in all, seems like a great regiment; mountain combat, urban combat training (iirc), alpinism and combat skiing, engineering and opportunities in more elite units. Any opinions?
Thanks in advance for the info guys.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello all,

I'm curious about the 2REG, and the information I've found on other threads or wikipedia hasn't been enough.
-Are there any dedicated infantry companies or are all of the CIEs 1-4 combat engineers?
-What do people mean by 'Genie regiments are laid back and there's no bullshit'? I hear it a lot when they're compared to the REP and REIs.
-Are they deployed out of France as often as 2REI for example?
-What is daily training like, what do you do there?
-Are GCM and PCG recruited from 2REG or are they transferred from 2REP (which might have better-trained infantry? Correct me if I'm wrong).
-Are combat engineers lacking in combat training and less capable as fighters than the infantry due to more focus on engineering tasks and less on infantry maneuvers?

All in all, seems like a great regiment; mountain combat, urban combat training (iirc), alpinism and combat skiing, engineering and opportunities in more elite units. Any opinions?

Laid back = less chance of recruit deserting due to harsh discipline, people consider 1 REC and 1 and 2 REG to be more chill and easy compared to REP. However in my experience 50% or more of recruits still want REP at the very start, things seem to change either after basic or after they spend some time in the REP, so transfers and/or desertions happen in REP more often than elsewhere in the FFL. Don't know about infantry regiments. My latest updates from people I know who serve tell that it's easier to get into REP than into REG at this time, people tend to be thrown into 13 DBLE apart from few of the best.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
That makes sense, which wannabe wouldn't want to be a parachutist xD I know I would.
As for the 13th, are they going to be an infantry regiment or...?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That makes sense, which wannabe wouldn't want to be a parachutist xD I know I would.

Everyone wants to join the REP to begin with. However, it is tougher than the other regiments and a lot of people during training change their minds. Also you know that when you have finished instruction you will have another three weeks doing jump training before being allowed out. And of course you are stuck on an island.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
As for the 13th, are they going to be an infantry regiment or...?

13th are going to become mechanized infantry, basically a mish mash of REC/REI, but that's just my understanding of it.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
That sounds interesting, though I guess soldier quality might be lower than other regiments as they seem to be throwing everyone in the 13th DBLE...?

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
See my responses below. I left 2REG in 2011 but from hearing from others (still at 2REG) it seems it has not changed that much.

But most importantly... You gotta go to France and make it through selection and basic training first.

Hello all,

- Are there any dedicated infantry companies or are all of the CIEs 1-4 combat engineers? (...)
1st-4th are combat engineering companies.

(...) - What do people mean by 'Genie regiments are laid back and there's no bullshit'? I hear it a lot when they're compared to the REP and REIs. (...)
Less BS, but still plenty of it. It's is the Legion after all...

(...) - Are they deployed out of France as often as 2REI for example? (...)
2REG is the only engineering regiment with the 27BIM (27th Mountain Infantry Brigade) which deploys quite a bit... So OPEX's are not a problem.

(...) - What is daily training like, what do you do there? (...)
Depends on the day, depends on your company/platoon commander, depends on if you're getting ready for an OPEX/tournante/terrain/Sentinelle... See the pattern?

(...) - Are GCM and PCG recruited from 2REG or are they transferred from 2REP (which might have better-trained infantry? Correct me if I'm wrong). (...)
Primarily from 2REG, but there are GCM/PCG members in SRIO that were transfers from other regiments, but relatively rare.

(...) - Are combat engineers lacking in combat training and less capable as fighters than the infantry due to more focus on engineering tasks and less on infantry maneuvers? (...)
Hardly, but once again, there are many factors that play into that. My former platoon commander loved training... so we did plenty of infantry/urban/combined training...your kilometrage may vary. As to more/less capable...realize that there are hardly any operations where one works solo, plus HTF do you quantify that?

(...) All in all, seems like a great regiment; mountain combat, urban combat training (iirc), alpinism and combat skiing, engineering and opportunities in more elite units. Any opinions?
Agree 100%... Very glad that is where I ended up.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi a1b2c3, did you spend all your career in 2e REG or have been assigned to others regiments? Did you have one single 5-year contract or did you extend it?

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Great information. Thank you!
Could you share where you were deployed with the 2REG?
Another thing I heard from a former legionnaire (though he joined in the 80s, things might be different) is that they won't take people in the Génie regiments if they have no engineering background as a civilian. Does this still hold true in your experience?

Thank you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Great information. Thank you!
Could you share where you were deployed with the 2REG?
Another thing I heard from a former legionnaire (though he joined in the 80s, things might be different) is that they won't take people in the Genie regiments if they have no engineering background as a civilian. Does this still hold true in your experience?

Thank you.

If he joined in the 80s he is way out of touch for the simple reason the 6 REG was formed in the mid 80s.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Slightly off topic but I still would appreciate if someone could enlighten me what's the real big difference between 1er REG and 2ème REG? Apart that 2ème REG is a mountain unit, both have similar training in urban, explosive handling and amphibious unit. I'm looking forward to join one of those regiments if i make it through. Thanks.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Slightly off topic but I still would appreciate if someone could enlighten me what's the real big difference between 1er REG and 2ème REG? Apart that 2ème REG is a mountain unit, both have similar training in urban, explosive handling and amphibious unit. I'm looking forward to join one of those regiments if i make it through. Thanks.

The subject has been covered, check the search mode.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Rapace... 5 yrs at 2REG.

rickyN7... Kosovo and Afghanistan.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
What about initial regimental training? What was that like?
Afaik in the REP you do jump school then a basic infantry course before being assigned to a company.
What did you have to do in the REG?

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What about initial regimental training? What was that like?
Afaik in the REP you do jump school then a basic infantry course before being assigned to a company.
What did you have to do in the REG?

ask DCLXVI.