a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old man wanting to join the French Foreign Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
OK dear friends, let me tell you what my situation is. I am married legally with 2 children, my wife left me and she is taking the 2 children, so I lost my family in my mind. I was born in South-Africa and now I am legally Spanish. I am 38 years old and I have always wanted to join the Legion, but life had other plans for me and the clock kept on ticking.
Now that I have lost my family I feel that the Legion is calling me to be part of their family and even though I am old, I still meet the age requirement of under 39.5 years old. I am hard-working and I understand the physical and mental strength needed from me. I am honestly doing this to be part of the Legion family and to be part of the elite.
I am going to Aubagne in December, 100% going, it's 6 hours away from me. But I want to have realistic expectations of whether you think (honestly) about my situation and me trying to be part of the Legion family. I had knee surgery 10 years ago by the same surgeon who fixed Rafael Nadal's knee, my knee is perfect now and it was just legament. I will be faster and stronger than the rest of the applicants, if not, I will be top 3.

My plan is to be in the Legion for the rest of my life, I would like the Legion to accept me into their family for life, not just 5 years. I had my opportunity to be a father and a husband, that is gone now, now I want to be part of the Legion family, a brother. I am responsible and run my own marketing agency. I am not doing this for the money, I can make a lot of money on my own as a civilian, I'm doing this to have a family that accepts me, the Legion family. I feel I have a lot to offer the next 15 years in some way or another, whatever the Legion needs, I'll do exactly that. I know and understand it will be hard, but nothing is harder than losing your family, so I am mentally ready.
I am ready to be humiliated and screamed at by younger guys, it won't affect me. I'll scrub toilets for 5 years if I have to, I really don't care, whatever it takes. It's about belonging in this Elite Family and being proud to have a family that cares, this is my 100% honest motivation. I will also speak French by December. Not perfectly, but well enough to have basic conversation. I have no prior military experience. Thank you for your time in reading this, I appreciate brutal honesty.

Allow me to answer some questions requested upon sign-up here.

• Where you heard about the forum: Online Google search
  • Why you have joined the forum: To get information about preselection.
  • What you hope to get out of the forum: Information from Legionair's prior and current experience and understanding regarding preselection.
  • What your current or most recent job is: Self employed marketing stratigist.
  • Anything about you that others may find interesting: Even though age is biologically important, the mind is more so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I have read all the related posts and threads, thanks to all who shared their knowledge and experiences here on this form. I have made my decision and in 5 months I'm knocking on the door. If it's not too much to ask, I'd like everyone's input on what expectations to have, realistically. Even if you all say that "there's no way", I'm still knocking on that door 6 hours away from where I live now (Spain).

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I have read all the related posts and threads, thanks to all who shared their knowledge and experiences here on this form. I have made my decision and in 5 months I'm knocking on the door. If it's not too much to ask, I'd like everyone's input on what expectations to have, realistically. Even if you all say that "there's no way", I'm still knocking on that door 6 hours away from where I live now (Spain).
I doubt very much that you will be accepted, In my opinion 0.9%.
However, as you state, you will try regardless of the remote change to be accepted.
Therefore, make sure you can go back to the life you had before giving it a try.
If you are working for a company, ask for a three-week holiday, this way you avoid any problems to get back.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I doubt very much that you will be accepted, In my opinion 0.9%.
However, as you state, you will try regardless of the remote change to be accepted.
Therefore, make sure you can go back to the life you had before giving it a try.
If you are working for a company, ask for a three-week holiday, this way you avoid any problems to get back.
Thank you Voltigeur, I appreciate your honesty. I am self employed, so no problem taking time off, I am coming back to a financially stable life when or if I get rejected. Sadly, I can't get back to life I had (no family), I am forced to start a new one, that's why I am here. Again, I appreciate your reply. I have been fortunate enough to find a Legionnaire who is willing to train me for the next 5 months before I knock on the door.

Last edited:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I do hope you are not using your real name as a screen name?

A 39 year old with no military experience and who runs their own business is going to give that up to be ordered around for 5 + years ? not very likely , sounds to me you are still reeling from your wife leaving you with your kids and are looking for escapism not a military career.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
OK dear friends, let me tell you what my situation is. I am married legally with 2 children, my wife left me and she is taking the 2 children, so I lost my family in my mind. I was born in South-Africa and now I am legally Spanish. I am 38 years old and I have always wanted to join the Legion, but life had other plans for me and the clock kept on ticking. Now that I have lost my family I feel that the Legion is calling me to be part of their family and even though I am old, I still meet the age requirement of under 39.5 years old. I am hard-working and I understand the physical and mental strength needed from me. I am honestly doing this to be part of the Legion family and to be part of the elite. I am going to Aubagne in December, 100% going, it's 6 hours away from me. But I want to have realistic expectations of whether you think (honestly) about my situation and me trying to be part of the Legion family. I had knee surgery 10 years ago by the same surgeon who fixed Rafael Nadal's knee, my knee is perfect now and it was just legament. I will be faster and stronger than the rest of the applicants, if not, I will be top 3. My plan is to be in the Legion for the rest of my life, I would like the Legion to accept me into their family for life, not just 5 years. I had my opportunity to be a father and a husband, that is gone now, now I want to be part of the Legion family, a brother. I am responsible and run my own marketing agency. I am not doing this for the money, I can make a lot of money on my own as a civilian, I'm doing this to have a family that accepts me, the Legion family. I feel I have a lot to offer the next 15 years in some way or another, whatever the Legion needs, I'll do exactly that. I know and understand it will be hard, but nothing is harder than losing your family, so I am mentally ready. I am ready to be humiliated and screamed at by younger guys, it won't affect me. I'll scrub toilets for 5 years if I have to, I really don't care, whatever it takes. It's about belonging in this Elite Family and being proud to have a family that cares, this is my 100% honest motivation. I will also speak French by December. Not perfectly, but well enough to have basic conversation. I have no prior military experience. Thank you for your time in reading this, I appreciate brutal honesty.

Allow me to answer some questions requested upon sign-up here.

• Where you heard about the forum: Online Google search
  • Why you have joined the forum: To get information about preselection.
  • What you hope to get out of the forum: Information from Legionair's prior and current experience and understanding regarding preselection.
  • What your current or most recent job is: Self employed marketing stratigist.
  • Anything about you that others may find interesting: Even though age is biologically important, the mind is more so.
A man in his late 30's with dodgy knees wanting to start a military career...not a chance. Don't waste the Legions time. They have hundreds of young, fit men in their late teens and early 20's to choose from. Playing soldier is a young man's game, just like football. All the best

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I do hope you are not using your real name as a screen name?

A 39 year old with no military experience and who runs their own business is going to give that up to be ordered around for 5 + years ? not very likely , sounds to me you are still reeling from your wife leaving you with your kids and are looking for escapism not a military career.
Thank you Surfguy, I appreciate your honesty. Yep, that's right, 5+ years and for as long as they will have me. I'm not in it for the money, nor escapism, I have plenty of other choices that are much simpler and more lucrative. I would happily be ordered around by anyone in the Legion, being ordered around means I am part of something bigger, a family. Regardless, this is the path I choose and I am here to get as much help as I can, and hopefully this helps others too. Again, I appreciate your thoughts. If there is anything more constructive to be added I would appreciate that too, anything I can do to increase my chances? As for my name, I have nothing to hide, I assume that there must be a reason for you making that comment, please inform me of the reason why. Thank you again Surfguy.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
A man in his late 30's with dodgy knees wanting to start a military career...not a chance. Don't waste the Legions time. They have hundreds of young, fit men in their late teens and early 20's to choose from. Playing soldier is a young man's game, just like football. All the best
Thank you Pink Floyd, no dodgy knees here, but I see what you mean. I appreciate your opinion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Jan & welcome to the forum. You certainly seem to have the right mind set for joining. Although I'm worried if the your body can keep up. I would recommend (as I do to everyone) that you join a running club. Take every certificate that you get with you.

BTW, I took the liberty of putting your "block" into readable paragraphs.

One question, which I feel could be important: Are our family Spanish or South Africain?