a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coup in Guinea

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
What are your views of the coup in Guinea led by a special forces commander who was also in the Foreign Legion in the past?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Read about this yesterday guys that have served around 2018 will be more up to speed of the ex Legion guy that is commander of the special forces that they say mastermind the coup, as for my personal opinion I don’t really have one as we all take our own path after the Legion. Not many guys get a chance to be engaged in a coup so I tilt my head in admiration and hope his Legion experience and training put him in a better position to execute their coup!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Some media outlets report that he is a former CO of the FFL, but it sounds a bit unlikely to me? I mean, if he is a higher rank CO in the Guinean forces, did he serve 20 years in the legion before? I'd be curious to know his rank.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
"TIA" - this is Africa. Just another Coup d'etat in Africa. I doubt that people will prosper on it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Some media outlets report that he is a former CO of the FFL, but it sounds a bit unlikely to me? I mean, if he is a higher rank CO in the Guinean forces, did he serve 20 years in the legion before? I'd be curious to know his rank.
Probably Caporal, in the Legion. As Perun rightly points out, we are talking about Africa.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
After reading about it here i watched a couple of videos about it. I am no expert on special forces but they just looked like a rabble to me and not special forces !

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Lt-Col Mamady Doumbouya served a 5 year contract in the Legion and reached the rank of Corporal. He came back to Guinea in 2011 and then was sent for a training at the French École de Guerre. He was appointed as head of the newly created Special Forces Group (roughly 300 men) in 2018 by Pdt Alpha Condé whom he and his men ousted last Sunday. Alpha Condé, 83, became extremely unpopular when he decided last year to modify the constitution of the country to get the right to run for a third term.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Of course nothing says that this is true. "During his 15-year military career, Col Doumbouya served in missions in Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Central African Republic and close protection in Israel, Cyprus, the UK and Guinea."

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Besides any political consideration, which I don't think is my place to make, he seems to be quite a tough cookie that has avoided the spotlight at least until now. I personally like that. Funny that the media outlets pointing out his past in the FFL did so as to discredit him and cast shadows on the French influence in the region.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I knew that he was in the King's African Rifles but no, I didn't recognize those insignias :) what regiment is that?
It was the only Scottish regiment just to have red and white checks all other Scottish regiments had black check also
When you hold the Glengarry on the side and look down it shows a thin red line this is in recognition of one of their battles in the early 1970s they tried to get rid of the regiment and the general public in Scotland got behind save The Thin Red Line we were saved but unfortunately in the 2000 all Scottish regiments are just one regiment!
Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• 952A7BE8-F546-4C8E-A06C-55BD392D30BD.png
    952A7BE8-F546-4C8E-A06C-55BD392D30BD.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
It was the only Scottish regiment just to have red and white checks all other Scottish regiments had black check also
When you hold the Glengarry on the side and look down it shows a thin red line this is in recognition of one of their battles in the early 1970s they tried to get rid of the regiment and the general public in Scotland got behind save The Thin Red Line we were saved but unfortunately in the 2000 all Scottish regiments are just one regiment!
Hope that makes sense

It does, he was very fond of Scots according to the movie and what I could read around. Why did they unify all Scotts regiments only in one? What was the criteria? Maybe it's off-topic but I find it interesting.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It does, he was very fond of Scots according to the movie and what I could read around. Why did they unify all Scotts regiments only in one? What was the criteria? Maybe it's off-topic but I find it interesting.
Politics and we’re Scottish governed by England and Westminster any sh-t to hit the fan Poll Tax,Kids Milk, amalgamation and disbanding of local Scottish regiments and if they had real concerns on the Corona Vaccine they would have rolled that out in Scotland also just to see if it was safe or how many of us die😂

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Politics and we’re Scottish governed by England and Westminster any sh-t to hit the fan Poll Tax,Kids Milk, amalgamation and disbanding of local Scottish regiments and if they had real concerns on the Corona Vaccine they would have rolled that out in Scotland also just to see if it was safe or how many of us die😂
I have Scottish friends. some work with us and they are lovely people.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hope that makes sense
why did you leave them Papillon? not enough action?