a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus Charly Paris

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Any one remember some good times on leave at Cactus Charly bar in Paris, early 80s used to be a good hang out for REP guys well some of us, even found a tea shirt from 1983 when we sort of strayed from Corsica after a tour!

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
Any one remember some good times on leave at Cactus Charly bar in Paris, early 80s used to be a good hang out for REP guys well some of us, even found a tea shirt from 1983 when we sort of strayed from Corsica after a tour!

I can't believe it! I was actually there while on leave in Paris. I went there for some American ambience. I think I may even have one of their business cards. As usual, the REC is there first!

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When I was there, there was a Scottish lass waitressing--Heinekin with a mescal chaser until closing. A memorable night, to be sure.

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh, Sam, I have the same card, tho it is a bit more worn.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well it was the place that lots of Brit talking people hung out in my time, Military and civilian, remember one leave that Duran Duran the Brit pop group were filming the video for the James Bond film, and we all went back to their hotel and had a mad party, and more! For me their was some good times and bad times as I was on the run from the UK it was jail or the Legion but I did a fair bit of jail in the legion as I liked a drink, my way was having fun, this caused problems with some guys as they could not work me out but hey still had to earn the stuff made it to the REP but hey it was hard as I was often told by officers that I had enlisted 20 years to late as the Legion was changing but you did your time (jail) and just got on with it but god some times it was hard, but fun!

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Remember it well, which is surprising. I always liked Irish Tony's off the Rue St Denis. Glory days. In Marseilles the Bar d Marine.

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Went there in 85 arrived in Paris with a piece of paper with Cactus Charlies on it,went there and bumped in to a canadian from 4cie ,gave me the hotel addy Boucherat and dropped bags off and out to cactus charlies bottle of vodka and bed eventually ,but not until we had driven round and round the place de la concorde in Mottas hired car,which he crashed.St Denis and the hookers the peep shows Irish Tony,s the American bar the start and finish of many a PLD

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Front Page.... Chatelet Les Halles/ gone now

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Any one remember Pierrette, Sylvie and Bruno at "Le Bar Des Halls", in old Castelnaudary, just up the street fom Lapasset?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Remember the bar but not the names, had my first fight in their with one of the training staff, we had been given our first night out after finishing if memory is right, got jailed that night and next day up in front of the boss, we had not been given our regiments at that stage, even though I passed out 2nd in my training section told if my French speeking had been to a better standard it would have been top recruit! So for my carry on it was touch or go if I got to the REP as they gave me the carrot and stick treatment, my response was I was going to the REP or nothing and made it clear any other regiment and I was not staying about, as I had jail to serve in the UK, I got another chance.
Don't forget prior to the Legion I was in the UK army had the privilege in 1977' to do a NATO joint training course in Trier, this was the French Commando Course and it was part run by the Legion, so regardless of the way I pissed them of in training their was a bit of respect as I was a soldier prior to the Legion and had passed one of their top courses, it was not till much later in life I addressed my own problems of a binge drinker!
I used to be ashamed of some of the shit and carry on I used to get up to in the Legion but as a older guy 2x degrees from university and working with guys with mental health issues and poly drug users I have no shame but understanding why I used to drink, been clean no 19 years and in all that mess anyone that new me at the time well I had some fun if you call spending 8 times at different stages for different lengths of time in Legion jails but I was old school you F***ed up you took it on the chin, and got on regardless of how hard it was, as life is about choices,

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Piano Bar in Orange o we had some nights in there. If memory serves it doesnt exist anymore.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
"Samtoo" Ii have no clue to the date you served, but yes you are right it was a short night and a long time since we had had the freedom of a Village or Bar, so I'm with you and if you read all this my night was even shorte! Regards my friend Papillon.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
"Samtoo" Ii have no clue to the date you served, but yes you are right it was a short night and a long time since we had had the freedom of a Village or Bar, so I'm with you and if you read all this my night was even shorte! Regards my friend Papillon.

I served from 1977 - 1982, the end of La Veille Legion. My section was among the first to begin Instruction in Castelnaudary after the GILE left Corsica. I know my anciens had it tougher, but it was.....hellish?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I served from 1977 - 1982, the end of La Veille Legion. My section was among the first to begin Instruction in Castelnaudary after the GILE left Corsica. I know my anciens had it tougher, but it was.....hellish?

Hello my friend, well you started 3 years before me as you will no in the early 80s a lot of Brits from the UK enlisted, we all had a bad reputation for drink and behaviour so you will no what I mean from the times you served.r

CEA

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello my friend, well you started 3 years before me as you will no in the early 80s a lot of Brits from the UK enlisted, we all had a bad reputation for drink and behaviour so you will no what I mean from the times you served.r
I remenber this time well the REP was stretched to breaking point when i arrived at camp it was a ghost regiment and as Papillion says 95% of those who came with me were brits

Bloakey

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Ahh,
Les fscking ! Called that because it was the most common word overheard from Anglophones talking together.

I had a 3 hour break from Lapasset in 81 towards the end of instruction. Two Brits who had been in Colchester nick together went and smashed the bar and a resident rugby team up. Later one of them was shipped out from Djibouti for lying in wait in the General's garden with a loaded rifle I believe the other was SNLR'd from REC. Meanwhile another night in the company next door a legendary Jock (ex 1 Para) threw a french guy out of the window. The drop was the equivalent of four stories!

Lapasset in Winter was hellish. I remember well how two wannabe deserters were beaten to within an inch of their life at Bertrandou. I did the Peleton there as well and that was not much fun either.

Ahh well it is and was hard. The guys now will be telling the lads of tomorrow that they are efete poofters and do not know what Marche or Creve really is. Twas always thus.