a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You must read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zveki

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Hello everyone,
I'm 18 years old and i want to join foreing legion.
Whole my life i trained to become a legionnaire.
I know martial arts,i run ultramarathons 111km,i know to use rifle and gun,i know to dive,i climbe to mountain,i do specific training like crossfit,i am very fit.This is my physical fitness.
My health is very good too.I have health teeth,no problem with eye vision,i have scars but its small and it is after mole remover,i dont have any surgery,my bones are ok,only blood pressure is little low but doctor said me that is ok because i trained a lot.
On gestapo i will show them that i am very motivated and i want a military career in legion.And i can said that i am one of the better who is physically and mentally good who will join in Aubagne that day.
I am very scared that i will be rejected but i believe in myself.
And i have question.
What are the main reasons for rejection?
(P.S. i dont have problem with police and i dont have high school because i will go to legion when i finished the third grade of high school,if they reject me i will return to school and join once more after high school)
Sorry for my bad english!

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Well, you are fit. No doubt about that. And on selection you might be the fittest person it does not mean you are automatically selected. Just depends whst they need at the moment wich could result in a lesser fit person with for example bookkeeping or medical skills.

You sound very motivated so my advice is go now, take a plane or train and go. No use in waiting.

Zveki

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I booked plane on 6th July.I think i will pass in Aubagne.In Castelnaudary basic training will be easy for me,because i train so hard that my training is harder than 4 month basic training.
I dont see reason to reject me.I will show them that i am very motivated and ready for legion life!

N

Niilo

Unregistered
You should consider learning basic French if possible. It's not necessary but if you get in the language barrier won't be so big and you can focus more on something else than learning a whole new language.

Zveki

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
You should consider learning basic French if possible. It's not necessary but if you get in the language barrier won't be so big and you can focus more on something else than learning a whole new language.
I know, I'm learning basic French. For me, French is a difficult language.

N

Niilo

Unregistered
That's good. I'm trying to learn French myself at the moment so I know it can be hard. And I think you are fit enough. don't think about you getting rejected or something like that just go there and do your best. If you think you are ready GO for it!:cool:

Zveki

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
That's good. I'm trying to learn French myself at the moment so I know it can be hard. And I think you are fit enough. don't think about you getting rejected or something like that just go there and do your best. If you think you are ready GO for it!:cool:
Thank you man!

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello everyone,
I'm 18 years old and i want to join foreing legion.
i dont have high school because i will go to legion when i finished the third grade of high school,if they reject me i will return to school and join once more after high school)

Finish school first ! You are motivated now, you can train and learn. The Legion will still be there when you get your diploma, but school will no longer be available if you become a legionnaire.

For some of us, going to the Legion without a diploma was a MUST, it was my case ! Now I started again to study and the beginnings were difficult. So, if you have no problem with the police, a place where to live and a school : stay where you are until you finish high school.

In any case, 18 to join the Legion is very young nowadays : the Legion has such a choice that it prefers more mature men !

In any case, Good luck !

Zveki

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Finish school first ! You are motivated now, you can train and learn. The Legion will still be there when you get your diploma, but school will no longer be available if you become a legionnaire.

For some of us, going to the Legion without a diploma was a MUST, it was my case ! Now I started again to study and the beginnings were difficult. So, if you have no problem with the police, a place where to live and a school : stay where you are until you finish high school.

In any case, 18 to join the Legion is very young nowadays : the Legion has such a choice that it prefers more mature men !

In any case, Good luck !

Well it is sad but its true in my country we can buy diploma for small amount of money.A lot of people and politicians do it.I have another reasons why i will left school but many people dont understand me.I talked with legionaries who alredy served in legion and said that 18 years old is plus while i am joining.I know that legion needs people who had any expirience in life but how do you know that i dont have expirience with my 18 years old? And i know a lot of legionaries who started their life in legion with 18. :)

Miramire

Reaction score
Home Country
Turkey
No offense but I love it when someone that's 18 or 20 says I have been training my whole life for this :) So that's how many years then?

I'm glad you are so fit, because if what you say is true you "shouldn't" have any issues during selection. However, just remember that the higher you think of yourself the farther you have to fall. Great to go into selection with high morale, not so good with an inflated ego. At one point if you start falling behind the pack or fall/fail in an obstacle and start getting screamed at your brain starts breaking down and you might start getting angry with yourself or falling into despair about the selection. So keep training, keep fit and walk through the gates with high morale and a positive attitude as opposed to a "I will be one of the best, I can do everything, they have no choice but to pick me" approach.

And the last thing you should fear is getting rejected. Once its done its done and you will know you did your best (at least best you could at that moment in time) and it just didn't work out. Life goes on. That is why whenever I talk with someone about going the Legion Etrangere route and they talk about it as the sole purpose of their life, the piece of hardwood to cling to for dear life when floating in the middle of an ocean, I intervene. Yes, sell things if you need to in order to get to selection, tie up loose ends and sort stuff out before you leave. But always have a contingency plan for a return trip and always I mean always realize you might not get in and have some 30-40 odd years of your life left to live. If you lock your sights on the Legion life and think of nothing else, you're gonna find yourself in a deep hole if you don't make it and come back to your regular life or what you left of it staring you in the face. It takes time, guts and lots of motivation to start clawing yourself out of that hole instead of drowning yourself in your misery and thinking of how things might have been.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
No offense but I love it when someone that's 18 or 20 says I have been training my whole life for this :) So that's how many years then?

I'm glad you are so fit, because if what you say is true you "shouldn't" have any issues during selection. However, just remember that the higher you think of yourself the farther you have to fall. Great to go into selection with high morale, not so good with an inflated ego. At one point if you start falling behind the pack or fall/fail in an obstacle and start getting screamed at your brain starts breaking down and you might start getting angry with yourself or falling into despair about the selection. So keep training, keep fit and walk through the gates with high morale and a positive attitude as opposed to a "I will be one of the best, I can do everything, they have no choice but to pick me" approach.

And the last thing you should fear is getting rejected. Once its done its done and you will know you did your best (at least best you could at that moment in time) and it just didn't work out. Life goes on. That is why whenever I talk with someone about going the Legion Etrangere route and they talk about it as the sole purpose of their life, the piece of hardwood to cling to for dear life when floating in the middle of an ocean, I intervene. Yes, sell things if you need to in order to get to selection, tie up loose ends and sort stuff out before you leave. But always have a contingency plan for a return trip and always I mean always realize you might not get in and have some 30-40 odd years of your life left to live. If you lock your sights on the Legion life and think of nothing else, you're gonna find yourself in a deep hole if you don't make it and come back to your regular life or what you left of it staring you in the face. It takes time, guts and lots of motivation to start clawing yourself out of that hole instead of drowning yourself in your misery and thinking of how things might have been.

Do not forget that the "mental", the brain, is more important than the "body". Nothing should be neglected, but when you will be screamed at, and that will happen, remember that a strong "mental" is essential. So get prepared for that !!!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Do not forget that the "mental", the brain, is more important than the "body". Nothing should be neglected, but when you will be screamed at, and that will happen, remember that a strong "mental" is essential. So get prepared for that !!!

Bro do you really think a 18 year old has the mental strength to join the legion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Average age in my instruction was 24 and still saw cracks appearing.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bro do you really think a 18 year old has the mental strength to join the legion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Average age in my instruction was 24 and still saw cracks appearing.

I agree Martin. You can be the fittest dude on the block. that won't help you if you don't have it mentally!! By the way does anybody know what happened to sarahlouise? Take care bro's.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I agree Martin. You can be the fittest dude on the block. that won't help you if you don't have it mentally!! By the way does anybody know what happens to Sarah? Take care bro's
Sarah requested to have her forum account deleted.

Omikron

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
In pre-selection, an 18 year old was cautioned because of his age. They said he probably will get inapt temporaire for that.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In pre-selection, an 18 year old was cautioned because of his age. They said he probably will get inapt temporaire for that.
I will say this once and once only! Nothing against young people! The unofficial policy of the Legion right now is to get people that have a bit of maturity and even better if they have prior military service! Why? Ask any Ancien. Nobody has the time to baby sit any more! When the shit starts flying you want somebody you can trust to watch your six and not start crying for mama!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I will say this once and once only! Nothing against young people! The unofficial policy of the Legion right now is to get people that have a bit of maturity and even better if they have prior military service! Why? Ask any Ancien. Nobody has the time to baby sit any more! When the shit starts flying you want somebody you can trust to watch your six and not start crying for mama!
Humm... I'm about as ancien légionnaire as they come. I enlisted at 16 in 1957, Matricule 118'000 (I told them I was 20 years old). I was in combat for the first time in Algeria with just 3 months of basic training in Mascara under the belt and fighting with a MAS36 single bolt action rifle as my only defence. I don't remember crying for mummy, and I was an ex merchant sailor.

And was the shite flying? You bet it was!

(Just a comment on the question of age, etc., and I have the documentation to prove this little story, if anybody is interested).

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Humm... I'm about as ancien légionnaire as they come. I enlisted at 16 in 1957, Matricule 118'000 (I told them I was 20 years old). I was in combat for the first time in Algeria with just 3 months of basic training in Mascara under the belt and fighting with a MAS36 single bolt action rifle as my only defence. I don't remember crying for mummy, and I was an ex merchant sailor.

And was the shite flying? You bet it was!

(Just a comment on the question of age, etc., and I have the documentation to prove this little story, if anybody is interested).
You can say whatever you want Jonny! I'm just giving a little advice to these wannabe's. You want to go toe to toe with me? Go for it!!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
You can say whatever you want Jonny! I'm just giving a little advice to these wannabe's. You want to go toe to toe with me? Go for it!!
I don't want to upset you, I just disagree with your comment to the fact that anybody will need babysitting just because he joins the Legion as a young man and that prior military service makes a lot of difference. It is all up to the individual when bullets start flying, not age or prior experience, unless it is similar. I have seen all kinds myself, and by the way, in Australia we refer to it as shirtfronting.

I think the natural instinct for any human finding themselves in a gun battle, and realising, shit, this is for real, is either fight, hide or flee. In any particular situations, all 3 options are perfectly valid. But there are situations when you really want to get the hell out of this mess, that staying and fighting is the only sensible option. Training helps a lot, but personal courage and a cool head is what clinches the deal at the end of the day. Running away and let somebody else take care of the problem is not necessarily right either. Oh well, I'm getting carried away, bye bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.