WW2 13th DBLE vs. 6th REI

So I'm watching this old school documentary that had some interviews with actual veterans of World War 2, who were in the 13th DBLE when Germany took over France and there was a split. I had no idea the Legion had fought itself less than 100 years ago. How extremely tragic. The 13th DBLE was the only unit that did not swear loyalty to the Vichy government that bowed to Hitler.

Wondering, who else has heard about this, maybe knows more about the story they can share?

[video=youtube;cB7X93CqZGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7X93CqZGc[/video]

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Inchersting video. Heard about that split in WW2.

Look at that landing at 33:50 :). I'm not sure that guy who's capable for fighting after that.

If you're interested in this episode of the Legion history, you can dig into the forum archives. Some interesting information was posted by our history buff, Mr. Peter Lyderik about that. Note that there weren't really large scale fighting between 13e DBLE and 6e REI (nicknamed “Régiment du Levantâ€￾, Near-East regiment), only some limited skirmishes. After the troops which had remained loyal to the Vichy regime surrendered, legionnaires from the 6e REI were offered to join the 13e DBLE and fight the Nazis with the Forces Françaises Libres (Free French Forces), under Gen De Gaulle authority. Those who refused were repatriated to France and demobilised.
Worth noting that in the 6e REI were two junior officers who would later become famous : Lt Pierre Segrétain and Lt Pierre-Paul Jeanpierre. Segrétain, as a Major, CO of 1er BEP, was KIA in Indochina in Oct. 1950, during the disastrous evacuation of Cao Bang, along the RC4. Lt-Col Jeanpierre, then a Capt, was among the few survivors of 1er BEP and was also later KIA in Algeria in 1958 where he was CO of 1er REP.

Since you guys mentioned that, can someone explained why there is a Legion building in Strasbourg? I got really surprised to see on a tourists map, since I don't remember any regiment on Strasbourg or not even close!
I know Strasbourg was released in WW2 by 13e DBLE but why there is something on the map until today?

Since you guys mentioned that, can someone explained why there is a Legion building in Strasbourg? I got really surprised to see on a tourists map, since I don't remember any regiment on Strasbourg or not even close!
I know Strasbourg was released in WW2 by 13e DBLE but why there is something on the map until today?
1°) Strasbourg was liberated (on Nov 23, 1944) by the 2e DB (Division Blindée, Armoured Division) of Gen Leclerc (aka Philippe de Hauteclocque, his actual name, Leclerc being his nom de guerre), the same unit that liberated Paris in August of the same year. 13e DBLE wasn't part of 2e DB, although it participated into the overall campaign of the liberation of Alsace.

2°) The Legion building you mention in Strasbourg is a so-called PILE (Poste d'Information de la Légion étrangère), from where candidates are then shipped either to Fort de Nogent or Aubagne. (see web page below)

PILE Strasbourg

Most viewed threads of the week