a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

writing letters + going out

Effty

Reaction score
Home Country
Brunei
I have been wondering if, when in the Legion, you are allowed to write to the outside world (write as in write letters and post them) As it is, I have heard from someone in the 1er REC (still serving since 2002, but I dunno if he has transferred to another regiment by 2005 now) that he was not allowed to write, and he was not allowed to receive letters. He was based in Orange before. I think I've stumbled into some others saying that it was a prison offence to write or call home, but I can't remember if that was an exact quote, or if it was me who interpreted it wrongly. But then again, I've read that some others could write or call easily. Why the inconsistency/difference?

Also, I have been reading various FFL websites and there are various opinions about legionnaires being able to travel outside France during their 5 year contract. Some said that they couldn't by law, but they always sneak out anyway. But how, when the Legion has their passports? Some said that they could, but only after 3 years in service. Which one is true?

sikter

Reaction score
Effty said:
Also, I have been reading various FFL websites and there are various opinios about Legionnaires being able to travel outside France during their 5 year contract. Some said that they couldn't by law, but they always sneak out anyway. But how, when the Legion has their passports? Some said that they could, but only after 3 years in service. Which one is true?
If you're from EU country you don't need passport, if not go to your embassy or consulate. Now for some countries (Eastern block and Balkans) new passport through embassy (specially consulate) takes time, up to a month or two, so you gotta send you papers in advance. Now if you're a holder of dual citizenship, turn in one to the Legion and put the other one in the long term storage box. Now the rules for the following must differ from country to country but in most cases you need to live in the country to open such in a bank. <----<<(anyone have more info on his???)

yfwu

Reaction score
Home Country
Effty said:
I have been wondering if, when in the Legion, you are allowed to write to the outside world (write as in write letters and post them) As it is, I have heard from someone in the 1er REC (still serving since 2002, but I dunno if he has transferred to another regiment by 2005 now) that he was not allowed to write, and he was not allowed to receive letters. He was based in Orange before. I think I've stumbled into some others saying that it was a prison offence to write or call home, but I can't remember if that was an exact quote, or if it was me who interpreted it wrongly. But then again, I've read that some others could write or call easily. Why the inconsistency/difference?

Also, I have been reading various FFL websites and there are various opinios about Legionnaires being able to travel outside France during their 5 year contract. Some said that they couldn't by law, but they always sneak out anyway. But how, when the Legion has their passports? Some said that they could, but only after 3 years in service. Which one is true?
These are not true at all.

1. Courriers
Tu peux écrire des lettres comme tu veux et tu peux recevoir des lettres si il y a quelqu'un qui t'écrit.

2. Permission étrangère
Pour tous les sous-officier et tous les militaire du rang qui servi en titre étranger, il le faut demande autorisation avant partir à l'etranger. Un pays, un demande.

Je sais il y a beaucoup de légionnaire partant en permission étrangere sans autorisation. Je ne te consielle pas, parce que une demande coûte rien et ton chef est accordé toujour...

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Salut.
Regarding writing home you will not be able to telephone home for a period of about four months. I found no valid reason for this when i served, but there again that's the Legion, some things don't make sense. My advice to anybody would be to wait till you get to your combat regiment or when you have permission en ville, to phone home. In metropolitan France there are plenty of internet cafes so you can email.

As for traveling aborad I do not know what the policy is today, but I applied twice to my company commander, and was refused twice. I went the second time anyway but that's a different story. As for writing letters and it is a punishable offence, that is complete bulls;;;t. I never heard of any legionnaire being sent « en taule » (in jail) for writing home.

Hope that answers some questions.
Regards
Scottie

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Below a translation of YFWU post (in response to Effty post) :

1. Mail
You may write and receive letters without restriction.

(Note : this might not be true if a legionnaire has requested anonymity and has not disclosed his new identity to his relatives/friends).

2. Leave abroad
For all NCOs and soldiers serving as foreigners, you need to ask for a permission before leaving the French territory (one request per country you want to visit).
I know many legionnaires go on leave abroad without authorisation, but I do not advise to do so. Asking for an official authorisation costs nothing and it is granted in most of the cases.

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Effty said:

Also, I have been reading various FFL websites and there are various opinions about legionnaires being able to travel outside France during their 5 year contract. Some said that they couldn't by law, but they always sneak out anyway. But how, when the Legion has their passports? Some said that they could, but only after 3 years in service. Which one is true?
Just to let everyone know again.... YES you can write (how often depends on your Chef de section). YES Castel has computers so you can (if you can purchase the correct card in the foyer) send E-mails. As for travelling outside the country....you cannot during your first contract but alot of people still do, just because it's against the rules doesn't mean noone does it, even i travelled outside France on many occassions during my contract! You can always get a new passport if you go to your consulate or Embassy and register there (that means they take a copy of all your records and documents you brought along, such as, passport, Birth Cert., licence)! Once you have registered you can always go back and tell them you lost yours or tell them the truth (depending on your nationality) and they will issue you another, at a cost of course!

Mle 187-828

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Patrick Hervier said:
2. Leave abroad
For all NCOs and soldiers serving as foreigners, you need to ask for a permission before leaving the French territory (one request per country you want to visit).
I know many legionnaires go on leave abroad without authorisation, but I do not advise to do so. Asking for an official authorisation costs nothing and it is granted in most of the cases.[/size][/font]
After Beirut in 1983, the entire platoon put down the Hotel George V, a swish 5-star Parisian hotel, as our emergency contact point wherever we - really - went on holiday....

Last edited:

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
Effty said:

I received a letter from a friend i made in Nogent and Aubagne.. Two months later i received a xmas card from him from Castel...

And yes u can write back .. the letter he sent me had his fake name and an address of Quartier Danjou 11452 Castelnaudary...

Out of curiosity.. Is this the address of the farm?

slimness

Reaction score
sikter said:
If you're from EU country you don't need passport
This is untrue, if you travel around the EU, you need a passport or identity card.

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Bonjour Sikter,

Yes, I have some additional information regarding "safe deposit boxes" (US expression) and must mention something about US duel citizens and passports.

The usual rule on renting a safe deposit box is that the person must be registered with the authorities as a resident of the jurisdiction. The person can live elsewhere or travel frequently, but still it is the registeration that is required. There are other legal methods but they are obviously not applicable to most of the wannabes seeking advice here.

There have been major changes regarding US citizens and travel matters. What you wrote above I would not advise for Americans. An American with 2 travel documents-presuming all is legal-cannot use the 2d travel document in a legal manner. The person arrives with 2 travel documents. Only one is stamped with the entry chop. If leaving the Legion without an authorized pass, that 2d travel document (not turned in; not with the entry stamp into French territory) is considered fraudulent use; that is a void or illegal use of a US travel document as per the US Government. There are consequences that will cause problems later on.

I urge all to comply with the laws and regulations.

Note that I used term "travel document" in lieu of passport. I have a strong policy of not even hinting on how to "go around the system". Again, stay in compliance with all nations' laws and regulations.

"You will find obstacles enough; what does anything I say matter in comparison?" Franz Kafka, THE CASTLE

Saluations,
BobW

sikter

Reaction score
slimness said:
this is untrue, if you travel around the EU, you need a passport or identity card.
I'm not quoting the law, just giving reflections of my personal experience while traveling wihtin EU. If you are a citizen of a country outside EU it would be RECOMMENDED to have a passport. For example african taking ferry from Copenhagen to Malmo (Sweden) and speeks broken english will be detained or turned back at the border without providing a passport if asked for one. In 99 % of the cases he will be taken aside (guess why) if there is a borderguard present. I visited numerous EU countries (Denmark, Germany, Austria, Holland) without showing any travel documents (traveling by buss train or a car). I was asked once for my passport coming back home from Greece. I answered it was somwhere deep in my backpack. The guard looked back at the queue and just waved me through. I didnt fly alot but i guess after 9/11 they will not go easy on you (unless you're flying from a small Greek island) :D. Now i'm not saying go do it just because someone said it "may" work. As bobW said "comply with the laws and regulations". But if I get two or three weeks vacation and it takes half the time just to get the passport i'm taking the first train up north.
I heard that you could get temporary passport after a day ot two that is only valid one way. <----<< onyone confirm. :confused:

sikter

Reaction score
BobW said:
Bonjour Sikter,
The usual rule on renting a safe deposit box is that the person must be registered with the authorities as a resident of the jurisdiction. The person can live elsewhere or travel frequently, but still it is the registeration that is required. There are other legal methods but they are obviously not applicable to most of the wannabes seeking advice here.
Saluations,
BobW
Which other legal methods?

Thank you

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
slimness said:
sikter said:
If you're from EU country you don't need passport
This is untrue, if you travel around the EU, you need a passport or identity card.
It all depends whether the countries you're travelling to/from are part to the so-called "Schengen agreement".
For example, France and Belgium have signed the agreement.
- If you're an American and want to travel to France, then of course, you need a passport. But once you've entered France, you won't need to show your passport again if you go to Brussels from Paris.
- If you're Belgian or French, then you need NOTHING. For a Belgian or a French, travelling from Paris to Brussels is exactly like travelling from Paris to Marseille for a French or from Brussels to Antwerp for a Belgian.
This of course does not apply to countries which did not ratify the Schengen agreement. This is the case for example for.... yes, UK (always the same old habit of having one foot inside and one foot oustide EU ;) ). Therefore to travel from Paris to London you need a passport or Id card.

Believe me, I'm travelling very frequently around Europe for business and this is exactly how it works. I was even refused once entry into the British territory because my Id card had expired... I was red with confusion when I had to phone my boss that I wouldn't be able to make it in the meeting where I was expected !

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Effty said:
Here is an excerpt from the Official Website of the Legion.......

1. Am I obliged to join under a declared identity ?
Yes. This provision was initiated to benefit all there who join the Legion because they wanted to forget their past and “turn over a new lifeâ€￾. It still exists, even if the vast majority of Legion candidates nowadays have no particular problems and our investigation techniques permit as to eliminate any “undesimble elementsâ€￾. The “declared identityâ€￾ exists to keep everyone on a level footing. Those who need anonymity and those who don’t.

2. Can I subsequently get back my real identity ?
Yes. We have a procedure known as “ Military regularization of situationâ€￾ which can be used by any legionnaire after one year’s service. It is useful for those who have no particular problems outside the Legion. Fresh identity papers must be obtained from the legionnaires original country. A legionnaire, if he so wishes, can spend his entire career under “declared identityâ€￾.

3. Can Frenchman join the Foreign Legion ?
Yes. Under “declared identityâ€￾ a Frenchman’s nationality is changed to that of another French speaking country, so he becomes a foreigner. He can ask for his real identity and nationality after one year’s service .

4. Conversely, can a foreign born legionnaire become French ?
Yes. A legionnaire of foreign nationality can ask for French nationality after three years service. He must have been through ‘military regularization of situationâ€￾ and be serving under his real name. He must no longer have problems with the authorities, and he must have served with “honour and fidelityâ€￾ for at last three years. French nationality cannot be granted under declared identity .

5. Is discipline in the Foreign Legion much harder than in the regular French Army ?
Not. The discipline enforced in the French foreign Legion is exactly the same as that of the French Regular Army. However, our traditions of on elite force allow us to enforce this discipline with a greater rigour. We have a tradition of excellence and selection criteria, which allow as to surpass the Regular Army .

6. What are the specific constraints of this elite force ?
- A legionnaire with less than five years service must always wear a uniform.
- NCOs whatever their service may wear civilian clothes when off duty.
- Motor vehicles may not be purchased by a legionnaire of less than five years service and who has not undergone “military regularization of situationâ€￾.
- NCOs must have undergone “military regularisation of situationâ€￾.
- Marriage is authorized only to those having undergone “military regularisation of situationâ€￾. NCOs without limits of service. Legionnaires after seven years service.
- Civilian bank accounts are only available to those who have undergone “military regularization of situationâ€￾.

7. Can a legionnaire go abroad on leave ?
Yes. Leave abroad is only available to there having undergone “military regularization of situationâ€￾ and in possession of a valid identity document or passport. There who wish to return to their own country on leave, must have accomplished their military obligations in that country (where applicable), and must not be wanted by the police of that country. Some destinations are however subject to precautionary restrictions (Iraq, Afghanistan, ……).

8. Are there reception facilities for legionnaires who wish to spend their leave in France ?
There are reception facilities for legionnaires waiting to spend leave in France, for example, the leisure centre of “La Malmousqueâ€￾ in Marseille. There facilities are available on request. NCOs or legionnaires who have not undergone “military regularisation of situationâ€￾ must spend their leave in mainland France.

9. Can I join the Legion never having been a soldier before ?
Yes. Even if many Foreign Legion candidates have previous military experience, this is not or essential requirement. Our basic training teaches all legionnaires enough military know-how to be able to serve with “honour and fidelityâ€￾. Previous knowledge of the French language is not required either. French is taught to legionnaires during basic training.

I really hope this helps everyone!

mle 187-828

Effty

Reaction score
Home Country
Brunei
californiajai said:
We have a procedure known as “ Military regularization of situationâ€￾ which can be used by any legionnaire after one year’s service.
What exactly is the “ Military regularization of situationâ€￾ ?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Effty said:
What exactly is the “ Military regularization of situationâ€￾ ?
That is when you get your real identity back. In my time you had to wait 3 years, but now I believe that you can start the procedure after one year of service.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
californiajai said:
Here is an exceprt from the Official Website of the Legion......
I will cross reference Calif's post in the FAQ sticky.

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Patrick Hervier said:
I will cross reference Calif's post in the FAQ sticky.
Thanks Hervier, i'm sure that info will help alot of folks! It's good that it's in the FAQ now.

Mle 187-828