a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would one eye qualify

Worldfamousslave

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know someone who is in peak physical condition, but has a glass eye. Would that person qualify for the FFL? He lost it when he was a little boy to a psycho american doctor who claimed he had cancer at two years old, but he was trying to ness up his head. The doctor took it out and lied to his parents.

kiwi

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Haha if he tells that story to the FFL Officials they will almost wet themselves :D

He would not be accepted, for the simple fact that you cannot properly judge distance with one eye. I learnt about that during my boxing training and how to deal with it when your eye swells up or similar. It makes you look like a fool when you're 2 feet off someone and trying to throw punches like they are going to land.

Definitely a NO.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I know someone who is in peak physical condition, but has a glass eye. Would that person qualify for the FFL? He lost it when he was a little boy to a psycho american doctor who claimed he had cancer at two years old, but he was trying to ness up his head. The doctor took it out and lied to his parents.
Of course you can....Danjou only had one hand, FFS and prior Cameron
Get wise, Ged

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My Dad was in the US Army in the 50s, missed Korea and Vietnam, but none the less he was drafted and served his 2 years as did all American Men up until the end of the draft. My dad was blind in his left eye, a cane reed stuck him in his eye when he was two years old. But his right shooting eye was good to go so the Army enlisted him and he served his time.

But in today's world, he would be disqualified. What a shame people with certain injuries can serve in some way. The Disqualification Rate for the US Marine Corps is very very high.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
My Dad was in the US Army in the 50s, missed Korea and Vietnam, but none the less he was drafted and served his 2 years as did all American Men up until the end of the draft. My dad was blind in his left eye, a cane reed stuck him in his eye when he was two years old. But his right shooting eye was good to go so the Army enlisted him and he served his time.

But in today's world, he would be disqualified. What a shame people with certain injuries can serve in some way. The Disqualification Rate for the US Marine Corps is very very high.
Is there a reason for the disqualification rate being so much higher these days than in decades previous? (I can understand during World wars/Korea/Vietnam etc but during 'peacetime')

The RM disqualification rate here must be huge, people get turned away for the most minor of musculoskeletal injuries

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Corona,

The Royal Marines in my day were prepared to take you provided you had, reasonable eyesight, 2 arms, 2 legs, a sound heart, good lungs and were physically fit for your size. Minimum height 5'6". Then it was up to the PTIs' to knock you into shape. Now I don't know about the height requirements.

USMCRET can correct me but I believe the height range within USMC is 4'10" to 6' 8".

My training team as a recruit were former WW2, Malaya and Korean commando veterans, Very hard men who knew their trade. Ruthless but fair.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Corona,

The Royal Marines in my day were prepared to take you provided you had, reasonable eyesight, 2 arms, 2 legs, a sound heart, good lungs and were physically fit for your size. Minimum height 5'6". Then it was up to the PTIs' to knock you into shape. Now I don't know about the height requirements.

USMCRET can correct me but I believe the height range within USMC is 4'10" to 6' 8".

My training team as a recruit were former WW2, Malaya and Korean commando veterans, Very hard men who knew their trade. Ruthless but fair.
I wish it were still that way now, some friends are still waiting for Capita to sort out their medical mess 8-12 months down the line :mad:

Interestingly the height requirement has gone down to 4 foot 9 I believe.

I don't doubt for a second they were hard men, they were some of the first commandos who took part in battles such as this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Port-en-Bessin, definitely cementing their place as some of the finest. Where abouts did you go to if you dont mind me asking? There never seem to be very many accounts of the Royal Marine activities during the later 60's to Falklands (that I can find anyway)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Corona,

We had height and weight requirements minimum and maximums, I don't recall what they were exactly. All I know is if you were short and did not weigh much the Marine Corps is certainly much harder. The loads you carry are a bigger proportionally to their weight and if they are short, they end up running the entire Force Marches because the Slinky Effect always happens and you have to run to catch up, I used to hate when we were last Company in the Order of March, meant there will be a lot of running to catch up and coming to an almost dead stop when you did, the slinky effect