a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
If that is indeed the case, I can say I had no intent to steal his thread and I offer my apologies to him. I actually feel as if I am adding to it. See, my reality, the reality that is a “cathartic process of purgingâ€￾ as Chas puts it, is the reality that leads me, and only me, to the Legion. What leads the next 10 guys will be 10 different stories. There is no universal reality that leads one to the Legion. The Legion is surrounded in myth and legend and the ‘don't join, don't go’ concept is largely based on ignorance. For the guys that come out of the Legion saying it is a waste of time there are many who were saved by the Legion. For me, in my cushy American abode, the Legion is extending a hand and giving me a chance where others are turning their back. That is a reality for me, all of what I said is my reality, and many will, rightly, disagree because - again - my reality ain't universal. All I did was express my reality. I don't feel as if I stole his thread.
Maybe that wasn't your intention, but the result is there. You came on his thread, told us your hard luck story and basically said that la Légion will save you from this hard life by giving you a second chance, and in the process telling us what a great guy you are and how hard it is to walk away from your familly. You (with your wife) decided to have kids. You should at least make sure that they are looked after and are missing nothing.

You say that what you're going to try to do is probably harder than “taking a bullet for your kids.” I'll call bullshit on that one. Walking away from anything (especially something that even the experts say was very hard!) is very easy to do.

Also, potential candidates with a family (wife and/or kids) are considered risks whatever the candidate says that he thinks about his family. That's normal and logical. The guy with a family has potentially a problem that the guy without the family has not, you can't change that.

So, the Legion are going to save you by giving you a second chance at life? What happens if they don't want you?

Phooca

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Fvckin hell... He's going to be one eloquent soldier if he does get accepted.

Copperpot

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Maybe that wasn't your intention, but the result is there. You came on his thread, told us your hard luck story and basically said that la Légion will save you from this hard life by giving you a second chance, and in the process telling us what a great guy you are and how hard it is to walk away from your familly. You (with your wife) decided to have kids. You should at least make sure that they are looked after and are missing nothing.

You say that what you're going to try to do is probably harder than “taking a bullet for your kids.” I'll call bullshit on that one. Walking away from anything (especially something that even the experts say was very hard!) is very easy to do.

Also, potential candidates with a family (wife and/or kids) are considered risks whatever the candidate says that he thinks about his family. That's normal and logical. The guy with a family has potentially a problem that the guy without the family has not, you can't change that.

So, the Legion are going to save you by giving you a second chance at life? What happens if they don't want you?
That's what's so good about coming here: see, I have learned in this thread, along with another, to just not mention the family thing. "What kids?" ... "Oh my wife? I just got a divorce from her, flaming cvnt she was." Truth be told they can ask the same questions 1,000 ways 'till Sunday and I could evade them. It's not like I have that much to hide and hiding kids will be easy. I am happy that I learned the risk that one having a family is considered. I may well have dodge a bullet on that one, no pun intended.

Now, call bullshit all ya want, I really understand why you do. For me, however, for this person, it is harder to walk away from my kids than to endure ANY physical pain, damn what some expert says - I know my reality. Still, my kids will be taken care of, and although I know they will, but still it's hard and I press on. Indeed, breaking that attachment when you want it is in no way an easy task.

If they don't want me? Well it looks like I am going to be working in some Paris restaurant until I can get a gig teaching English. Hell, I like FAT girls - maybe I'll meat some nice French fattie and get married. In all seriousness, I must address you, Flymantobe, and say this: all my eggs aren't in one basket. I have a plan B, C and D, if necessary. I am FULL aware that my chances of being rejected by the Legion are greater than being accepted.

Phooca I won't be an eloquent soldier, not any more eloquent than the next guy. I am a very quiet and stoic man when you meet me in person. I don't tell anyone of my life, my philosophies, or what I think of others. I just keep to myself and defend my space. That's the beauty of the internet, though - you can shed that protective shell that you must carry in this hard world and open up.

I ‘annoy’ some of you, and for that I do apologize - but this is, for me, just a small piece of the journey I am taking and the altruism I have been blessed with here does not go unappreciated.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I have tried to get into the reality of the thread and your posts, "Well guess what I fecking cannot for the life of me at and this inane bullshit anymore.â€￾ So the Kepi Head is coming out “Get off your arse, go to France and try for selectionâ€￾. If you gave some of theses answers to the B2 at the ‘Gestapo’ interviews I dread to think what they would make of you.

flymantobe

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I must address you, Flymantobe, and say this: all my eggs aren't in one basket. I have a plan B, C and D, if necessary. I am FULL aware that my chances of being rejected by the legion are greater than being accepted.
Well that's good then, it just seemed as if you're only way out is the FFL. Whatever your story is, I don't really care, we all have different bullshit we have to contend with. If you have a way of getting out of yours, then let rip, no one can judge you but yourself for your decisions.
As others have said, get you arse over to France and try out. You never know what might happen. Best of luck on wherever you end up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am sick and tired of this self pitying angst- just bloody well go.
Chas bombed out London WW2- Barnardos boy as well. Mother blitzed.
Father o/r killed in Italy. At 17+ I did not bleat about a hard life.

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Coppo, I am a former American and may have some insight into your environment. Your reality is what it is.

But the other reality is that you have a wife, kids, and a shrink to support. You will not get in. The Legion is not going to save you. You are a fantasist in search of a dream which doesn't exist.

It ain't about you. That ship has sailed, go get a shit job in a shit factory and spend every penny educating your kids. That is your salvation and your mission.

Man up, then.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Coppo, I am a former American and may have some insight into your environment. Your reality is what it is.

But the other reality is that you have a wife, kids, and a shrink to support. You will not get in. The Legion is not going to save you. You are a fantasist in search of a dream which doesn't exist.

It ain't about you. That ship has sailed, go get a shit job in a shit factory and spend every penny educating your kids. That is your salvation and your mission.

Man up, then.
After what are esteemed bro said, can we please close this now?

Copperpot

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well that's good then, it just seemed as if you're only way out is the FFL. Whatever your story is, I don't really care, we all have different bullshit we have to contend with. If you have a way of getting out of yours, then let rip, no one can judge you but yourself for your decisions.
As others have said, get you arse over to France and try out. You never know what might happen. Best of luck on wherever you end up.
Well, I am headed to France to try it out, I can't just up and go tomorrow because I have things to take care of. In the meantime, then, here I am discussing things with the type of people I will be around - one of the many reasons why the internet is such a useful tool. Yes, this all, believe it or not, provides valuable insight. Extremely valuable insight.

I am sick and tired of this self pitying angst- just bloody well go.
Chas bombed out London WW2- Barnardos boy as well. Mother blitzed.
Father o/r killed in Italy. At 17 + I did not bleat about a hard life.
Oh believe me, I do not pity myself one bit. I am content with who I am and what I am doing - like ANYONE in life, however, I have experienced loss and that loss has happened in such a way that makes joining the Legion now a reality although I am 31 years old. Now sure I can just go, but as I explained to Flymantobe I am here to glean every iota of information I can before I do that. In giving so much information about myself, by purging so to speak, I am rewarded with a lot of information myself, and I appreciate everyone for that.

Man up, then
Yes my reality is what it is, and in answering your post we go back to how what I am saying here ties in to the question SBG800 was asking, “If the Legion is so bad then why do men join it and stay in it?â€￾ The reasons are as many as the actual men that join and I am but one story.

The other reality is not that I have a soon to be ex-wife and 2 kids. Being one and the same, that "separate reality" is part of the same reality that makes my existence, and is more of a factor deciding whether I'll try to join the legion, and I will.

It seems I will not get in if I go off telling them about an ex-wife and two young children, so it seems I better not mention that. That alone is a very valuable piece of information I learned here and has made signing up for this forum and all this dialogue. I am not swayed by the “you will not get inâ€￾ thing, I know I will be told that over and over -almost like a Rabbi turning away three times a Gentile who wishes to be a Jew.

While I appreciate your help, you cannot be so bold to claim you know what my salvation and mission is with respect to my children. I don't need a shit job to support them, only myself. Their education is already paid for, and whatever they need in terms of financial matters is covered - I have covered that. So while you say what you say in good spirit, it is a moot point. Oh and manning up? Yeah, doing what I am doing requires a dedication above anything else I have done in my life.

My reason here, guys, is to become educated and I am learning a lot, a hell of a lot.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
You know you can be as educated and informed as you want and the Legion still might not want you, we could argue the whys and what ifs till the break of dawn but it still wont do you any good, Just fing well go and do it soon.
In Mil speak foxtrot Oscar.

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
OK, we got the story already, so JUST GO. Remember the majority of Greens here never had the chance to ask questions before joining. They just went and took it as it came. Time for you to stop trying to convince us, because really no one gives a s**t, and it's not us you need to convince. The sooner you are accepted or refused the sooner you can really plan your future, just tough s**t on your kids, but they won't be the first or the last whose father f***ed off and deserted them.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So your wife is a c**t? I will ask the question then: so what? Grow a set and tell the b**ch off. If you can't handle dealing with one woman what makes you think you will fare any better in the Legion where nobody will give two shits about your problems.

You also have two kids with the girl, so you obviously can't have hated her that bad because you did f***icate with her at least twice! You have kids which means you have responsibilities to them, whether you like it or not! Don't be yet another dead-beat dad that ****s off on his kids because he is going through some stupid mid-life crisis.

I sympathize with your francophile ways and your romantic notion of things but the reality is you have other responsibilities that need tending too. You owe it to your kids to not **** off on them! If that means divorcing your wife then so be it.

Copperpot

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Let me tell you guys something -I have a deep respect for all of you. That's no bullshit disclaimer, but I really do.

Martin, you said: “You know you can be as educated and informed as you want and the Legion still might not want you, we could argue the whys and what ifs till the break of dawn but it still wont do you any good, Just fing well go and do it soon.
In Mil speak foxtrot Oscar.â€￾

Wolff: “OK we got the story already, so JUST GO. remember the majority of Greens here never had the chance to ask questions before joining. they just went and took it as it came. time for you to stop trying to convince us, because really no one gives a s**t, and it's not us you need to convince, the sooner you are accepted or refused the sooner you can really plan your future, just tough s**t on your kid's, but they won't be the first or the last whose father f***ed off and deserted them.â€￾

That is unfortunate for many of the greens that they did not have access to the internet to ask questions, as mundane as they may seem to others. These are different times, however, and now that this tool is available I will use it. I really, really do appreciate your advice and your insight and you are a shining example of why I am here. To learn while I otherwise prepare myself to leave.

Canuckroyal: "So your wife is a c**t? I will ask the question then: So What? Grow a set and tell the b**ch off. If you can't handle dealing with one woman what makes you think you will fare any better in the legion where nobody will give two shits about your problems.

You also have two kids with the girl, so you obviously can't have hated her that bad because you did f***icate with her at least twice! You have kids which means you have responsibilities to them, whether you like it or not! Don't be yet another dead-beat dad that ****s off on his kids because he is going through some stupid mid-life crisis.

I sympathize with your francophile ways and your romantic notion of things but the reality is you have other responsibilities that need tending too. You owe it to your kids to not **** off on them! If that means divorcing your wife then so be it.â€￾

Haha, I like you, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. I have told her off and I am getting a divorce.

I am not selling myself here. I am merely expressing my reality in a thread titles "What's the reality?" and learning a hell of a lot along the way. I know a lot of what I do is not popular, and I don't seek confirmation. My goal here is to do what I don't do in person and that is tell of my deeply personal issues to the type of people I will be dealing with and seeing what the reaction is so I will better know how to explain or not explain myself when the time comes to do so.

So, in a way, I really thank you ALL for your valuable insight and I thank the people who have sent me personal messages. I can assure you guys that although I am a wannabe, I am not just talk - I am headed out to the Legion and I will report back here as to what happened. Joining the Legion is someting I am gonna do either way, but I am not going to sit here with a worl of information and such varied people at my fingertips and brute force it and "just effing go." No, I will do what I don't do in the real world, and that is talk to as many people as possible so I can have a better bearing on my situation.

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Kurwa, ferme ta gueule ! You think and talk too much! Get your damn head out of your ass, make a decision and follow through with it. Don't matter to any of us, we don't care and whatever you do does not affect us, it affects you, your wife and your kids - maybe you should be having these discussions with them? It would be more bloody useful then spending your time trying to explain yourself to here. And stop writing damn essays every time someone replies!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Waow... Looks like we've seen an attack of verbal diarrhoea on the site recently...
Copper my friend, if you're here to learn things about the Legion, good. That's what this BBS is for. So listen (read) and shut up (stop writing novel-like posts). Although I'm more sympathetic to your speech than you might imagine, in particular your declaration of love to la belle France, don't confuse the forum with your shrink's sofa.
As others said, learn, tie-up any loose ends (I didn't say screw loose) that need to be tied up and go. No need to overwork it for months, if you're really serious about joining.
Bonne chance et bon courage. Whether you end up in the Legion or not, I guess you'll need both.

Status
Not open for further replies.