a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best time of year?

wmaousley

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What is the best time of year to join the Legion? Are there certain months when acceptance into Basic Training is higher than usual? Seasonally, what's the best time to enter the selection process?

oh and Masta NickFury I have looked high & low for the answers to these questions but came up short.

Sorry boss to dissapoint ya

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
10,000 look to join per annum, on average that's 833 per month. What month would be best do you think yourself?

Seasonally? Which do you prefer a) Hot and dry. b)Cold and wet?

They have been covered before.

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Join the 20/12/2008 and you should have a all so slightly better chance

Madmonk 7.5

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
unless every wannabee is going to follow this advice:D:D Then there will not be anyone trying in the previous months and all will come in December. hahhaha

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
What's up with the "Masta Nickfury" thing?

I just offered you a simple suggestion on the other thread of how to find stuff you are looking for if you don't see it on search. Your questions have all been answered many times before, but I don't doubt it might be hard to find exactly what you are looking for in the search function...like I said it can be tricky depending on the key words.

I did give you some names...you can search posts by member names, it is helpful. If you read everything posted by Charles Stoeng you would probably be pretty well prepared.

Good luck.
Nick

wmaousley

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nick,

JOKE HA HA LOL
Why does everyone get offended easily on this forum?

Peace

wmaousley

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Join the 20/12/2008 and you should have a all so slightly better chance

lol ok I am still learning who to and not to take seriously. I will give you the benefit of the doubt due to your credentials. What makes this a better time to join than others?

wmaousley

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
10,000 look to join per annum, on average that's 833 per month. What month would be best do you think yourself?

Seasonally? Which do you prefer a) Hot and dry. b)Cold and wet?

They have been covered before.

Well I went to Basic Training with the US Army it was in April & it was pretty HOT. Although the heat didnt bother me, I have never been in a cold enviroment with the military believe it or not. I dont think I would prefer to be frozen in Basic Training. Also I dont have knowledge of the climate in France.

demo2

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I read in a book that its best to try to join in December right before Christmas since its such a big holiday ... the author said many people would rather spend their last Christmas before joining with their family so you will have less competition. How accurate this information is, I don't know. But I do think most people who join the FLL read and research about it and many may be trying at that time for that very same advantage ... so you might even be surrounded with more well-prepared candidates. Who knows.

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
lol ok I am still learning who to and not to take seriously. I will give you the benefit of the doubt due to your credentials. What makes this a better time to join than others?

The best time to join is at 11:25 on the 14th of July...

Everybody is watching the legion parade on tv.

Cpl K.....

PS: Never join after 18:00 during the week, your just gonna piss them off.
Also never join during the week end, you will just piss them off also.
Best times are Monday to Friday between 09:30 - 11:00 & 14:30 - 16:30

One of the guys doing guard duty will have to walk you up to the
selection building and if you make him stop eating he will be pissed off !

wmaousley

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The best time to join is at 11:25 on the 14th of July...

Everybody is watching the legion parade on tv.

Cpl K.....

PS: Never join after 18:00 during the week, your just gonna piss them off.
Also never join during the week end, you will just piss them off also.
Best times are Monday to Friday between 09:30 - 11:00 & 14:30 - 16:30

One of the guys doing guard duty will have to walk you up to the
selection building and if you make him stop eating he will be pissed off !

Great Info Thanls CPL K

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I joined in Aubagne on Dec 19th. I wish I had joined 1 or 2 weeks earlier. Stoeng is right, there ARE less people at that time. BUT, I was told by all the guys who were already Rouge that there were EVEN LESS in the first couple of weeks of Dec. It might really not make a difference since if they don't want you, they don't want you...it is only if you are borderline with more good and they need bodies.

Well Bad thing about Dec 19th/20th, is you will have one week over Christmas where NOTHING HAPPENS in the testing/selection/interview process. We spent one week just cleaning and cleaning and cleaning and cleaning and cleaning...there was no Rouge Selection, so those of us who passed all the tests and were just waiting for the Rouge Selection had to wait around one more week just working. I mean don't get me wrong, there is something memorable about spending Christmas and New Year's in the Legion and having free beers and champagne courtesy of the Colonel, getting to shake his hand and all that.

So I was there for 3 weeks, got sent home 1st week of January.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
I joined in mid-September....there were cool temperatures with no 'canicule' temps of mid-summer ...temps became pretty cold, spent Xmas in Castel and left for the 2eREI on the Med in mid-January but it wasn't mid-winter...

greatza1

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
As someone said in an other thread in summer time are a lot of wannabees that see the selection as a suplimentar income after they spent all their moneys.That is not general but are few that act like that. And there are another category of ppl that even if they become rouge ask for going civil because they don`t fit in.I don`t remember who said here about a corvee that had to do ,in that time he found usselles to clean some flowers from dust but afterall he understood that a soldier have to learn to obey and execute the order receiwed whitout questionig why i have to do that or that.I will personally try in september or october next year. It will be cold and wet but this is not o problem.In my opinion autum-winter is a period with not so much wannabees.Not so many want to taste the mud.An important factor that they want to see from you is your commitement if you gonna be a legionaire.And offcourse another important factor is the luck that you have once in. If , hipoteticaly you are let`s say russian and in that day have been accepted 15 russians it`s probably that you will get an inapt temporaire.But as you rememberred Alex L. he was the exception that confirm the rulle.He wake up in an morning and meet some folks who told him about legion , and the rest is history.I personally know a man who tried in March 2006.He became rouge but asked to go civil.He told my after that that the legion is not for him. He was a member of his board , Misu.A lot of ppl like i saw recently some kids on this board think that they must be accepted because they are good at sports , have some college degrees , good health , etc; and they are the chosen ones.Misu`s cousin who now is in 2`eme REG before legion was a simple peasant , who once heard about legion.No college degree , martial art skills and so on.If you go to the selection and told them pick me because i`m the best motherfucker that your army saw you will be rejected from the start.You have to ask yourself and after that give the answer: Why the legion will accept me? Ppl have to understand that in selection time they are just some clay and the legion decide if it`s possible to be modeled/adapted by the legion needs.If they are not then subject clossed.If they succeed and became legionaires it will be a great adventure , for some the height of their existences but also a lot of work , work and work again. But is worthing.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Christmas interrupts legion training everywhere. You will go on a run the next morning to sober up etc. But then it's back to square one.

canada101

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Christmas interrupts legion training everywhere. You will go on a run the next morning to sober up etc. But then it's back to square one.
So only christmas day and not the whole week then? What about new years? If selection ends during the week before Christmas, do they send you straight to the farm to get started right away or do they wait until after Christmas?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi canada101, don't get mixed up between selection and basic training. Selection is done in Aubagne, and if you make it you will be sent to Castelnaudary. After a few weeks then you will be sent to the farm.

canada101

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi canada101, don't get mixed up between selection and basic training. Selection is done in Aubagne, and if you make it you will be sent to Castelnaudary. After a few weeks then you will be sent to the farm.

Ok. If selected during the week before Christmas, do they send you to Castelnaudary right away to begin basic training?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I shouldn't think so, as I've said everything is on go slow at Christmas as for Camerone. You will be kept at Aubagne to do corvee. Have you set your heart on joining during the Christmas period? If yes, I think that all going well your would be in Castel mid January, but it all depends if there are enough candidates during that period to make up a section, roughly 40 - 50.

What ever happens your 5 years start from the day you sign your official contract - not to be confused with the temporary one.

One advantage of joining during the yuletide festivities is that it shows that you have burned all your bridges. Or at least that is the way I would see it.