a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What else should be brought to Legion?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
The topic of laptops in the Legion makes me wonder.
What else can be brought to Legion? It seems a silly question, but there's lots of new things that didn't exist in the past (smartwatch, e-dictionary, ect).
The advice is travel light, bring the usual clothes, toiletries, papers and ID, shoes, maybe a small french dictionary.

What things do the past Legionnaires wish they brought with them?
What things do the past Legionnaires wish existed and they had while serving?

A non-official Legion site recommended not to bring bank cards. Does this still apply?
What about a watch, headphones?

W

wadesimmons

Unregistered
My advice would be to dump the fancy electronics. Not only will it make you come across as “privileged” but they will likely also go through all of them. So if you have anything to hide, your social media accounts on that laptop or smartphone might give them a reason to boot you.

I’m sure there’s nothing you need that you can’t buy after your 4 months.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
My advice would be to dump the fancy electronics. Not only will it make you come across as “privileged” but they will likely also go through all of them. So if you have anything to hide, your social media accounts on that laptop or smartphone might give them a reason to boot you.

I’m sure there’s nothing you need that you can’t buy after your 4 months.
I'm a bit of a ghost on social media. But I'll definitely purge my phone of a lot of details.

I'll leave the smartwatch/fitness tracker at home, and get a cheap watch.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
What things do the past Legionnaires wish they brought with them?
I wish I brought toilet paper and a watch. I wish I brought a bunch of change with me as well, there are vending machines everywhere and it can be useful to buy cigarettes/hot drinks/soft drinks/chocolates when you're Bleu in Aubagne. They will take away pretty much everything else you have, no point in taking a dictionary they will just take it away and give you another one in Castel, they will take away all electronics except for basic watches. They will shred your bank cards when you go Rouge so take them at your own risk.
Don't stress too much over what to bring, you will be given everything, and you will also be given plenty of opportunities to buy stuff once you go Rouge and once you get into Castel.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm a bit of a ghost on social media. But I'll definitely purge my phone of a lot of details.

I'll leave the smartwatch/fitness tracker at home, and get a cheap watch.
Cheap watches are for Africa, and the bigger the better (for exchanges). For the legion, I would suggest that you took a sturdy watch, something like a G shock. Just don't take it off. Whatever type of sturdy watch you take, make sure that it is water proof.
On the subject of credit cards. IF you are binned then you will get them back. If you go rouge, then you don't need them. However, if you join and have not taken the forum's advice on dental care and you have to go to the dentist, you will need to withdraw money. The same for an x-ray. We know from our Krav Mega friend that he was turned away for a month (ended up living in a park) because of teeth problems.
Hans isn't the only one who has talked about toilet paper and change, so there's another tip. If you smoke, cigs and even if you don't, take along a couple of packets, it's a good way of breaking the ice.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
take along a couple of packets, it's a good way of breaking the ice.
That is true! I never got on well with the Russians/Ukrainians, we never could understand each other, but once I gave one of them a cigarette all of them became some of my closest friends! There will also be plenty of people willing to trade food, money or some other items to get a few puffs at a cigarette, I abused the shit out of this, I had my own little army of addicts giving me their food just for a cigarette or two!

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I wish I brought toilet paper and a watch. I wish I brought a bunch of change with me as well, there are vending machines everywhere and it can be useful to buy cigarettes/hot drinks/soft drinks/chocolates when you're Bleu in Aubagne. They will take away pretty much everything else you have, no point in taking a dictionary they will just take it away and give you another one in Castel, they will take away all electronics except for basic watches. They will shred your bank cards when you go Rouge so take them at your own risk.
Don't stress too much over what to bring, you will be given everything, and you will also be given plenty of opportunities to buy stuff once you go Rouge and once you get into Castel.

Wait what do you mean shred your bank card? What if you have money in that account that you’d still need to access after basic? Are you sure they destroy the bank cards? I understand buying new laptops after basic and all that but if they don’t want you rocking up with a duffel bag full of money why would they also object to cards?

I have no real qualms with turning my back on my old life but my home country bank account is where my retirement savings will be sent by my employer in the event I call them up and say I’m not coming back.

Are you sure they destroy ‘em? If so am I allowed to have my home bank mail me a new card to the legion or closest post office?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
They have a reason to shred them, so I think it's a bit defiant and strange to call your bank to get another card.

once I gave one of them a cigarette all of them became some of my closest friends!
That sounds like a good idea, I'll stop by the duty-free and pick up a pack of cigarettes

Cheap watches are for Africa, and the bigger the better (for exchanges). For the legion, I would suggest that you took a sturdy watch, something like a G shock. Just don't take it off. Whatever type of sturdy watch you take, make sure that it is water proof.
On the subject of credit cards. IF you are binned then you will get them back. If you go rouge, then you don't need them. However, if you join and have not taken the forum's advice on dental care and you have to go to the dentist, you will need to withdraw money. The same for an x-ray. We know from our Krav Mega friend that he was turned away for a month (ended up living in a park) because of teeth problems.
Hans isn't the only one who has talked about toilet paper and change, so there's another tip. If you smoke, cigs and even if you don't, take along a couple of packets, it's a good way of breaking the ice.
I was going to get the cheap resin casio, but I'll get something stronger, and not mental (cold weather + metal watch = suffer).

My teeth are in good condition; no plaques, missing, ect

What do you mean "don't take it off?" someone will pinch it and a fight breaks loose?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
They have a reason to shred them, so I think it's a bit defiant and strange to call your bank to get another card.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll stop by the duty-free and pick up a pack of cigarettes

I was going to get the cheap resin casio, but I'll get something stronger, and not mental (cold weather + metal watch = suffer).

My teeth are in good condition; no plaques, missing, ect

What do you mean "don't take it off?" someone will pinch it and a fight breaks loose?

There are thieves in every military. If you leave it laying near your cot, somebody will take it. Keep your watch on you at all times

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
ZA cutting up your bank cards does not mean cutting up the contract that you have with your bank. Wait until you get to your regiment and ask them to send a new card (discretely) to your new address. Although it will be difficult with having a new name. You can always get someone in your family to send you a birth certificate although not having notified the bank in advance may have it's setbacks. The only thing I can think of is asking someone who lives out in town, who can provide an address. Make sure that you ask the bank to keep the old account number, I mean the secret code.

As for buying things like new lap tops, I phones etc after basic, you will have saved up enough during Aubagne and Castel to do it with your newly accumulated wealth. And if you want to "rock up with a duffel bag full of money" Then you will get it all back once you have finished Castel. Make sure that you get receipts for everything.
Also make sure that you have a good reason for wanting to join the legion with a duffel bag of money ;)

In my opinion, why the legion will not allow old bank cards is to avoid the legionnaires spending beyond their means and creating problems.

Lord P. why should you keep your watch on your wrist? Because in Aubagne, you do not know who is who. Yes there may be some :eek: thieves. Just as we have said that you must write your name on everything including your shower flip flops. Would you like to come out of the shower last and find a pair of old flip flops which were the daily footwear for someone from a 3rd world country.
What you have to remember is that you do not know what is going through other people's heads. When they get binned, it is usually for a reason.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
I understand. Because almost anyone can walk through those doors, less savoury people might be there.

It's interesting to hear even the humble flip flop will grow legs and vanish in the barracks.
It sounds like I should pack a sharpie or some permanent pen with my kit and keep my eyes on my belongings.

I think it's reasonable they chop up bank cards and forbid credit cards. There's always stories of US soldiers going crazy with their enlistment bonus and young men suddenly get money and a uniform and bank loans buy stupid things they don't need (fast sports car whilst in basic training :rolleyes:) and get in trouble.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What things do the past Legionnaires wish existed and they had while serving?
It has been too long ago to remember that.
When I joined I had my passport, shirt, pants/trousers, shoes and I few coins that were given to the taxi driver who took us to the Legion Post. (we had told him to wait and that we would be visiting a friend and would be right back).

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Wonder who long did he wait. :)
We were in the process of signing the contract when one of the guards brought him in. The Officer, I think he was a captain made us empty our pockets and gave the money to him. Of course it was not even enough for the time he was waiting for us to come back.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
We were in the process of signing the contract when one of the guards brought him in. The Officer, I think he was a captain made us empty our pockets and gave the money to him. Of course it was not even enough for the time he was waiting for us to come back.
That was mean of you Joe or whoever idea that was. :). It was Algerian taxi driver?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It has been too long ago to remember that.
When I joined I had my passport, shirt, pants/trousers, shoes and I few coins that were given to the taxi driver who took us to the Legion Post. (we had told him to wait and that we would be visiting a friend and would be right back).
Bugger has probably still got the meter running!:ROFLMAO:

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Honestly, you will not need your old bank once you're in the Legion. Until you regain your birth given identity, your bank can hold on to your retirement funds. I would notify them that you won't have access to the bank for about a year or year and a half

Alternatively, you could, once you get selected, order a new card to a family member's house, and have them ship it to you under your Nomme de Guerre. Update your official address to a family member's address so the bank won't question where to send it

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That is true! I never got on well with the Russians/Ukrainians, we never could understand each other, but once I gave one of them a cigarette all of them became some of my closest friends! There will also be plenty of people willing to trade food, money or some other items to get a few puffs at a cigarette, I abused the shit out of this, I had my own little army of addicts giving me their food just for a cigarette or two!
Smart thinking!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Talking of passports mine was one of the old year ones from the post office like a brown card going back to the UK after leaving France I new I was going to be nicked at the other end as firstly it was well out of date and I was wanted prior to my departure so a boarding party from the Police came on and nicked me and took me to London the Judge was purity cool thought my time in the Legion was punishment enough also my solicitor told him I was on re- engagement leave👍 Had to pay costs and suspended sentence that was turned into a custodial sentence a few months latter when I had a disagreement with 3 police officers, god I was stupid in my younger days but her being dependent on illegal and legal substance is not for everyone but what is a life if we don’t build chapters that allow us to kick out take 5 min and laugh at how crazy we were when were young free and single.