a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do Legionnaires do for recreation.

CuriousAspirant

Reaction score
Home Country
India
So what do Legionnaires do in their free time? Out door games, cards/chess etc, sleep (allowed?), read books or just chat with buddies?
And speaking of which, how much free time is there in a week?

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Clean.

Paint rocks.

Clean again.

Paint pebbles.

Clean again.

Paint dirt.

Clean again.

Reveil...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When not undertaking the tasks posted by aIb2c3 when the opportunity arises drink and fornicate like all good servicemen.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
When not undertaking the tasks posted by aIb2c3 when the opportunity arises drink and fornicate like all good servicemen.

Either that or grab a case of beer out the foyer and have a jam session did that many times,
till the chef de guard came over grabbed a beer and told us to shut up, most of the time
he was ignored as the Director of Music could be found with us on his sax or trumpet and holds the rank of Colonel.
As for the chess and cards played some long games of cards on tour, and Gonzales was a master chess player many a hour spent playing this especially if funds were short ect.

CuriousAspirant

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Do they let you keep your own book/pack of cards/chess etc. or do you have to use whatever common stuff is lying around?
BTW where do you watch movies?
P.S. By free time I meant when you are done with all the cleaning as well.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Sorry, I laugh with the "play cards/chess"...
Do I have to say something like laundry and clean stuff all the time? or the truth?

I am a father of a young legionnaire, so please tell me the truth !

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I am a father of a young legionnaire, so please tell me the truth !

They do what any young men do chase pretty girls and drink beer, keep fit and do what any young man does. As for the chess and reading someone especially en terrain (in the field) or overseas is always playing chess. Look in John Robert Youngs book.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You get the opportunity to do things out of the ordinary, like land yachting in Djibouti on the Grand Barra, free fall, scuba......when you´re not chasing tail and drinking beer!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
You get the opportunity to do things out of the ordinary, like land yachting in Djibouti on the Grand Barra, free fall, scuba......when you´re not chasing tail and drinking beer!

You also get to drive big boys toys that make a really loud bang, and perform and play in the best military band in the world. But Im Biased

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You also get to drive big boys toys that make a really loud bang, and perform and play in the best military band in the world. But Im Biased
You are indeed! Let the lads have their say Martin. now when you say best military band in the world. Legion or the Brits? Oh! And maim let's not forget the Nyars back in town! Take care bro's

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Free time in your regiment usually comes before a week of service or duty. This means getting your guard uniform ready, your operational back pack ready, getting your hair cut and getting your locker sorted out in case there is a spot revue.

It can come after time on terrain (in the field) which means cleaning all your kit for the next outing or course.
Overseas, if you are not allowed out because it's just a four month stint and the nights allowed into town are rare, then you go to the foyer, or buy beers and sit outside your tent or hut with your mates and drink beer.
Or there might a cinema that you can go to. Then it's down to reading books and talking with your mates until lights out. But no matter what way you spend it, you will appreciate it because it's in short supply in the legion.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
You are indeed! Let the lads have their say Martin. now when you say best military band in the world. Legion or the Brits? Oh! And maim let's not forget the Nyars back in town! Take care bro's

Ok Armée De Terre Without a shadow of a doubt MPLE as was now MLE.
British Two horse race Household Division and Royal Marines.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

Or climb big f off assualt courses

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok Armee De Terre Without a shadow of a doubt MPLE as was now MLE.
British Two horse race Household Division and Royal Marines.

Aye. Both good mobs Martin. I have a feeling wich one Charles and Joseph would vote for! Me? I think you know that one! Cheers mate!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Aye. Both good mobs Martin. I have a feeling wich one Charles and Joseph would vote for! Me? I think you know that one! Cheers mate!

Must admit through bro USMC when at the Royal Tournament were outstanding.