a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well...

wambam

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I do not have long. I only spoke to a few of you (former MARSOC Marine). I have made it into the Legion. Thank you all for your support and guidance. I am posting this with the help of another American as I am currently having an injury screened. I will answer questions when I have time, which will not be right now. I just thought it would be appropriate for me to let the forum know.

Things I will not answer publicly:
Where I am from
Last Name
MSOT/unit I deployed with

If you're a combat vet, we can become pen pals or some bullshit in a more private scenario.

out.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I do not have long. I only spoke to a few of you (former MARSOC Marine). I have made it into the legion. Thank you all for your support and guidance. I am posting this with the help of another American as I am currently having an injury screened. I will answer questions when I have time, which will not be right now. I just thought it would be appropriate for me to let the forum know.

Things I will not answer publicly:
Where I am from
Last Name
MSOT/unit I deployed with

If you're a combat vet, we can become pen pals or some bullshit in a more private scenario.

out.

I take it you got injured at the farm or after? Hope you are healing up well and the prognosis is good. I assume if you are injured enough to need a few weeks off you will roll back to another section. Hang in there.

When you have time tell us a little about your perspective on Selection and Basic training so far...especially having been a MARSOC Marine. The big difference of course would be the language, culture and units made up of men from every corner of the world, all from different cultures, using different languages having to operate in French and a new way of doing things, adapting to military life for civilians and adapting to the French and Legion way of doing things for ex military like yourself. Plus the fact that the Legion is not SF.

I know a few other ex service men from the US as well as other Americans went in the last few months so you probably had other Americans in Castel at the same time.

Get well and good luck!

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Congrats, welcome to the family, and rest up.

EDIT: hmmm...maybe too fast with the post. Oh well...life goes on. Bye Felicia.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Remain a hard charger. Well done. Honour you contract. Bonne chance.

Chas- Per Mare per Terram/ Semper Fidelis. RM = Real Marine. lol

olias

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Why go from SOF to the Legion? What is your expectation from this transition? I mean... why give up being an operator to be a legionnaire?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Humm... So you've been accepted into the Legion and are posting with an IP address that points to some place on the Gulf coast. Does that mean the Legion was kind enough to let you go back home for your convalescence? Anyway, I hope you won't be surprised if I take your declarations with a pinch of salt. You're kindly invited to show any of the mods some evidence of your being currently in the Legion. First and last warning... :)

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Humm... So you've been accepted into the Legion and are posting with an IP address that points to the Washington DC area. Does that mean the Legion let you go back home for your convalescence? Anyway, I hope you won't be surprised if I take your declarations with a pinch of salt. You're kindly invited to show any of the mods some evidence of your being currently in the Legion. First and last warning... :)

IP address lookups can be pretty off at times. I've done a few and out of 5 different look up services a couple showed the person in a completely different state, different cities, and up to 1000 miles away. Really depends on the IP lookup service you use and even then they are sometimes still off or can be thrown off by VPNs or other things. It pays to use a few services and take the result that comes up the most.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
IP address lookups can be pretty off at times. I've done a few and out of 5 different look up services a couple showed the person in a completely different state, different cities, and up to 1000 miles away. Really depends on the IP lookup service you use and even then they are sometimes still off or can be thrown off by VPNs or other things. It pays to use a few services and take the result that comes up the most.
I hear what you're saying Nick, but, even if the location is 1'000 miles wrong, it's in the US (or somewhere in Central America or the Caribbean). Quite far away from, say la Malmousque or Lavéran military hospital in Marseille, where most logically, an injured legionnaire would spend his convalescence. Anyway, happy to be proved wrong, if that's the case. Mr. Wambam knows what to do.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Having some time on my hands at the moment, I decided to do a bit more of ‘due diligence’. Using 4 or 5 different IP tracking services, I've got the same exact location... Somewhere on the Gulf Coast, as already said, and more precisely in Mississippi, where – by pure coincidence I guess – Mr. Wambam says he's from in his profile. I won't give more details, but all the tracking services give the same town in Mississippi... Reading even more in detail, I noticed the guy is playing the trick “I'm not posting it myself, but gave my user Id and pw to a friend who's posting on my behalf.â€￾ See his penultimate post, and the last one too. Always the same story: the guy is able to ‘communicate’ one way or another with a ‘friend’ in the US, but can't post himself.
The more you dig, the stronger the bullshit smell is... :D :rolleyes:

olias

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What are you, gestapo? Let him do what the **** he wants, man.

2) Genuine curiosity. I just want to understand what the thought process is here, because I am in a similar position of having a job in the Navy that is highly sought after and respected, albeit not a shooter/sexy job, and yet I myself would like to become a legionnaire after my commitment.

This story is kind of ****y, but I want to believe it. However, there are discrepancies here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) This story is kind of ****y, but I want to believe it. However, there are discrepancies here.
You can do exactly as you want my friend. You can even believe in Santa Claus... As far as I'm concerned, I will believe when I see him flying in the sky in his sleigh pulled by the reindeer... :D

olias

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I may want, but that doesn't mean I do, my friend.

I'd like to believe a MARSOC Marine went to the legion if for no other reason to illustrate that anyone could have a chance to start over.

But it is fiction until proven otherwise.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I hear what you're saying Nick, but, even if the location is 1'000 miles wrong, it's in the US (or somewhere in Central America or the Caribbean). Quite far away from, say la Malmousque or Lavéran military hospital in Marseille, where most logically, an injured legionnaire would spend his convalescence. Anyway, happy to be proved wrong, if that's the case. Mr. Wambam knows what to do.
If he is using his own phone/laptop/pc he could be using an IP hider but if he is using publicly available PC then its harder to do, IP hiders can make it look like you are anywhere you want in the world , that's the point of them , you just pick a country, so why would he ?

A) He's BSing

or

B) He wants anonymity in case there's consequences with his CO for posting here.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I don't think the guy is using an IP anonymizer.
Actually he tried to give an explanation on why he's posting with an IP in Mississipi: a ‘friend of his’ is posting on his behalf...
Like I said before it means the guy is able to communicate with a friend in the US (not via smoke signals I guess) to tell him what to post, but he can't post it himself...
Bizarre... And not the first time some people looking for their 15 mn of fame play this trick on the board.
So, until I have seen strong evidence that Mr. Wambam is currently serving in the Legion, I'll treat him as a mytho...

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Actually he tried to give an explanation on why he's posting with an IP in Mississipi: a ‘friend of his’ is posting on his behalf...
Like I said before it means the guy is able to communicate with a friend in the US (not via smoke signals I guess) to tell him what to post, but he can't post it himself...
Bizarre... And not the first time some people looking for their 15 mn of fame play this trick on the board.
So, until I have seen strong evidence that Mr. Wambam is currently serving in the Legion, I'll treat him as a mytho...

Exactly what I was thinking of.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

Roger that P