a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well that was sporting. Adios Afghanistan.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
They should have quietly started the evacuation as soon the decision was made to withdraw the USA forces.
This is America we’re on about , listen I have had a few good friends from the States their were a few in the REP that were sound, but America knows how to go in but the exit was bad been waiting for Covid-19 excuse as every other company and organisation are using it to evade dealing with poor service.
Looks like the Lads in the valley have had a helping hand chatter about a jet busting Talaban positions and 800 trained soldiers from their neighbour, don’t think lack of communication is helping the rumour mill.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
but the exit was bad been waiting for Covid-19 excuse as every other company and organisation are using it to evade dealing with poor service.
I dont even think its related to that, covid, communication or cooperation whatever or even lack of time,
seems almost the same thing (and I am not kidding, I pay my respect for vets), but the only big difference in this war and Vietnam is sand and trees.
You can waste 5, 10 years bombing these places, throwing troops there, its not that simple, even with their best technology, its too complex and
delicated situation to deal simply with war (religion, very different culture, sacred war or whatever they call that).
They kill one enemy, two more are born

madwolf

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
This is nothing new for the USA spent a lot of $$$$$ messing up other countries and no real foreign policy to back it up!
And they leave all the hardware behind...... C4 anyone ffs

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And they leave all the hardware behind...... C4 anyone ffs
They didn't leave it behind Per se, they put out of action their own stuff. However, they did give a sh$t load of equipment to the Afghan military and Police. Not to mention all the hours of training.
When I say hours it is a figure of speech.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Reading between the lines from the West the general feeling was that the army and government would fold, so I’m interested in what sort of hard ware that was used and knowing going to fall into enemy hands. Would the fighting in the valley not disclose the extent of what they have at their disposal as the Talaban don’t seem to quick in passing around much to the foot soldiers apart from their SF platoon! Also looks like they have put together a cabinet of mostly wanted person’s now trying to negotiate that their bounty’s should be nil and void due to the peace agreement Donald 🇺🇸 presided over, once they get immunity of prosecution they will form an inclusive government of sorts to appease the West as China Russia will fight their corner on the world stage Woman will be Kitchen/Bed slaves Education will be nil conscription of males into Talaban and poppy and every lunatic that thinks their is a 100 virgins waiting for him will be brain washed to join the virgins ( Do virgins have a bush) could be a Talaban rule like the beards😂

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I’m curious what the members think of the Taliban take over, and America’s undignified exit, abandoning citizens and allies alike.
It was a disgrace.
A great deal more of our allies would have been left behind; if it wasn't for Operation Pineapple Express. Which was literally thrown together By ex-Special ops operators in the eleventh hour to save a friend. An Afghan Elite Commando and his family, who was being actively hunted down by the Taliban. Thanks to the pretender in office Joe Biden; Who handed the Taliban a list containing the Names of all of our Allies in the country. The unofficial operation was extended to help hundreds of others with the help of many active duty military personnel and One Embassy Officer against standing orders from the Woke leadership and the Joe Biden him self. Some of the active duty Military Soldiers and Sailor were killed in a suicide bombing while trying to save family members of some of these Afghan Elite Soldiers. A truly Sad event.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
They didn't leave it behind Per se, they put out of action their own stuff. However, they did give a sh$t load of equipment to the Afghan military and Police. Not to mention all the hours of training.
When I say hours it is a figure of speech.
Let Just because of the poor leadership in country (top brass were all political opponents) we The U.S. left a well supplied and equipped Enemy paid for by the American tax payer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It was a disgrace.
A great deal more of our allies would have been left behind; if it wasn't for Operation Pineapple Express. Which was literally thrown together By ex-Special ops operators in the eleventh hour to save a friend. An Afghan Elite Commando and his family, who was being actively hunted down by the Taliban. Thanks to the pretender in office Joe Biden; Who handed the Taliban a list containing the Names of all of our Allies in the country. The unofficial operation was extended to help hundreds of others with the help of many active duty military personnel and One Embassy Officer against standing orders from the Woke leadership and the Joe Biden him self. Some of the active duty Military Soldiers and Sailor were killed in a suicide bombing while trying to save family members of some of these Afghan Elite Soldiers. A truly Sad event.
Why don't you start by introducing yourself?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Why don't you start by introducing yourself?
Bonjour, Hello,
I'm to old for the Legion, Although it was my greatest intention to join the Legion at the age 4 years old, after watching the Movie Beau Geste. I have worked for some US Government agencies, I worked as a Military Contractor, and also worked in Law; when I was in between contracts. Frogman, Pilot, poet, artist and small arms and special weapons expert, like everyone else(; I'm retired to private life. I came across this group while I was doing some research on Peter Ortiz. I thought I would enjoy being part of such a forum.
Thank you for excepting my request to join.
And Yes I have read the Forum's Miranda Rights.
And I hope I am posting this on the correct thread.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bonjour, Hello,
I'm to old for the Legion, Although it was my greatest intention to join the Legion at the age 4 years old, after watching the Movie Beau Geste. I have worked for some US Government agencies, I worked as a Military Contractor, and also worked in Law; when I was in between contracts. Frogman, Pilot, poet, artist and small arms and special weapons expert, like everyone else(; I'm retired to private life. I came across this group while I was doing some research on Peter Ortiz. I thought I would enjoy being part of such a forum.
*worked in Law Enforcement

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Bonjour, Hello,
Well that will do, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I’m curious what the members think of the Taliban take over, and America’s undignified exit, abandoning citizens and allies alike.
Great Question, maybe some of the politicians who want to run the world should read forums like this and get real information.
Consider however the following... the US government TRIED AND FAILED to impeach D Trump using false evidence of collusion with a foreign power. That all went tits up..
The current incumbent has effectively armed a terrorist group the Taliban who have used those arms to overthrow an almost democratically elected government. by force of said arms.
By relinquishing those arms to a terrorist group the weapons industry in the US and western world must be jumping for joy at the research budgets and manufacturing contracts that will be issued. to deal with the mayhem that will ensue... Watch that space ...

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I sometimes wonder if the powers that be use countries like Afghanistan as a training ground in case something worse comes along , Soldiers get front line experience and kit gets tested to the limits , you still have to pay the Military even if they are sitting in barracks so they may as well be doing something beneficial .

Be interesting to see who goes there next , if China does I think the ROE will be very different :oops:.
Excellent insight fella. Remember this. Each General or CO has to explain his annual budget requests to the powers that be, they in turn have to submit to the DOD/MOD who then go in front of their Minister to plead and beg for resources an cash. The Minister takes it to cabinet and tries to get that funding. Now, if you don't use it, you lose it. Same in all aspects of Government spending from roads departments to sodding libraries. The difference is, DOD/MOD results in either loss of life or terrible infrastructure spending like airfields and massive FOB's that we simply handover in ten or in this case twenty years time. Its one giant business my bro. The contracting authorities, Triple Canopy, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, BAE Systems on and on, these are the only real winners of the war in Afghan. Us, well we are back to square one, one day after the 20th anniversary of 9/11. What a sodding joke. All that blood and gold that has been spent and these cockwombles get to fly around in Blackhawks and wear Tier 1 PPE and gear. WTF is that all about.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
china? that scares me :eek:
Why does China scare you?. Don't believe the hype and propaganda they spill out. We held them in Korea with the tech we had in those days, we kept them at bay in Vietnam to an extent and then the British trained the KR to fight them in Cambodia and kept them at bay. Like the USSR, 90% of it is painted rust. The PRC is one generation from the rice paddy field and with economic sanctions on a war footing would put them back there sharpish. Also, the PRC military, as large as it is, is not battle tested. They have a one child policy and mostly all female births are either drowned at birth or given away as the male is the prized child. Start killing their men at a high rate and see the nation turn on its masters. They have already had 30 years of western lifestyle thanks to Deng Xiaoping telling them, "to earn money is glory", McDonalds, KFC, Pizzahut, western cinema, western private schools for their elite and relative success in a capitalist model, trust me Shirly, they won't want to go back to the fields any time soon. Just look at how many Chinese students make up the student body in Western Universities. No, these future leaders of China won't stand for the old Maoist doctrine this time around. They love their Iphones and gaming platforms too much.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Sadly, it's become a normal standard for the US foreign policy to just fade off into the light. Lets look at their track record post 45. Korea, (still at war) no win there, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia complete loss on all fronts, Bay of Pigs Cuba complete loss and ended up with nukes parked 30 miles from Florida, Iran emergency disaster until the CIA with massive help from the Canadians saved the day and got their folks out, Lebanon and Beirut complete failure, proxy war in Latin America ended up with either a drug cartel baron or USSR proxy leader, Gulf war 1 Saddam lost bugger all, stayed in power and gassed the Kurds whilst we let him, Somalia complete and utter failure and withdrawal, Bosnia and Yugo war too late to stop the genocide and when we finally got our arse in gear it was a massive coalition, the Brit's, Canucks and French did a great job, American air was good I suppose, then operation enduring freedom "Mission Complete" lol, still makes me chuckle, complete and utter loss ended in the ISIS caliphate, Niger counter ISIL ops, so far ISIL 1, America 0 thanks to the slaughter of the Green Berets, Counter piracy ops in the GOA and Indian ocean, had sod all to do with coalition warships, especially the US Navy, it has run its course due to armed mercs guarding merchant vessels, thats the only reason it stopped, true fact, no vessel with western trained armed guards has ever been taken post 2010, then we finish up with Afghan....... another complete flop. So that leaves them with Grenada and Panama. Awesome!. The really sad and frustrating part of all of this is the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many many others decided to hitch our war wagons to theirs and as such we own at least some of this bloody mess. We need to really think about our "special relationship" and see it for what it really is. Any ideas boys?. This is how I see the last 47 years of my life any how.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Why does China scare you?. Don't believe the hype and propaganda they spill out. We held them in Korea with the tech we had in those days, we kept them at bay in Vietnam to an extent and then the British trained the KR to fight them in Cambodia and kept them at bay. Like the USSR, 90% of it is painted rust. The PRC is one generation from the rice paddy field and with economic sanctions on a war footing would put them back there sharpish. Also, the PRC military, as large as it is, is not battle tested. They have a one child policy and mostly all female births are either drowned at birth or given away as the male is the prized child. Start killing their men at a high rate and see the nation turn on its masters. They have already had 30 years of western lifestyle thanks to Deng Xiaoping telling them, "to earn money is glory", McDonalds, KFC, Pizzahut, western cinema, western private schools for their elite and relative success in a capitalist model, trust me Shirly, they won't want to go back to the fields any time soon. Just look at how many Chinese students make up the student body in Western Universities. No, these future leaders of China won't stand for the old Maoist doctrine this time around. They love their Iphones and gaming platforms too much.
I hope you're right 🙂