a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well that was sporting. Adios Afghanistan.

sig2340

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I’m curious what the members think of the Taliban take over, and America’s undignified exit, abandoning citizens and allies alike.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Interesting question! Right now the only opinion I have about it is "Bonjour, je me veux engagé a la legion etrangere" :ROFLMAO: ;)

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I think they shouldn't have gone there in the first place, but if they did - they should have finished the job, even if it took another 20 years.
Brits (3 times?), USSR, USA - quite a scalp collection.
Sad situation at the moment, and I doubt talibans changed.
"War machine" with Brad Pitt - excellent movie (on the subject)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
This is nothing new for the USA spent a lot of $$$$$ messing up other countries and no real foreign policy to back it up!
I agree to an extent but they did try and help them but if they can´t be helped why waste more money and resources on them? we owe them nothing now.
Let them live under the Taliban and they will war amongst themselves. soon everyone there will want to be the Chief. Why waste more lives on such a country?
you´re correct in that the west should just leave them to their own stone age beliefs. we won´t change them.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I agree to an extent but they did try and help them but if they can´t be helped why waste more money and resources on them? we owe them nothing now.
Let them live under the Taliban and they will war amongst themselves. soon everyone there will want to be the Chief. Why waste more lives on such a country?
you´re correct in that the west should just leave them to their own stone age beliefs. we won´t change them.
You're right Shirley, the problem here is you can't bomb someone back to the stone age that still lives in the stone age. Maybe Rules of Engagement should have been more lax, even the stone age man recognizes when the Mammoth has had enough and goes ballistic.

The only thing the Middle East recognizes is pure power through ruthless victory. Then and only then can there be a peace, otherwise, they regroup under the guise of injury, Think of the Wrestler Playing the heel, as soon as the good guys looks away the wrestler takes a chair to the back of the head.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My c
I find it quite amusing the Talaban are courting Russia 🇷🇺 And Pakistan is very much taking a lead, but I still think the Talaban are to divide in their own organisation to make it work for long, they will revert back to the old way rule via the gun and fear suppress the majority and wait, I never new America had sweets named after Donald Trump to mark the signing of the peace agreement.

Attachments

• F6BA6984-274F-42FA-9AC0-CC2B62C995F2.jpeg
    F6BA6984-274F-42FA-9AC0-CC2B62C995F2.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes wonder if the powers that be use countries like Afghanistan as a training ground in case something worse comes along , Soldiers get front line experience and kit gets tested to the limits , you still have to pay the Military even if they are sitting in barracks so they may as well be doing something beneficial .

Be interesting to see who goes there next , if China does I think the ROE will be very different :oops:.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I sometimes wonder if the powers that be use countries like Afghanistan as a training ground in case something worse comes along , Soldiers get front line experience and kit gets tested to the limits , you still have to pay the Military even if they are sitting in barracks so they may as well be doing something beneficial .

Be interesting to see who goes there next , if China does I think the ROE will be very different :oops:.
china? that scares me :eek:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Quite right too...and nowt else but a nuclear thermo War can arrange
NATO, has done it's time
Europe will suffer more than any other Contient
This is the start of the beginning
You Silly buggers waged a war that created more deaths than reason
We can praise , China too, belive me or not !
They were waiting, around the corner for us to départ...
It's thèm the Talibans will treat with in the future....
Their ressources are enorme (Afghanistan)....
How the West was lost, is how i see it

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Quite right too...and nowt else but a nuclear thermo War can arrange
NATO, has done it's time
Europe will suffer more than any other Contient
This is the start of the beginning
You Silly buggers waged a war that created more deaths than reason
We can praise , China too, belive me or not !
They were waiting, around the corner for us to départ...
It's thèm the Talibans will treat with in the future....
Their ressources are enorme (Afghanistan)....
How the West was lost, is how i see it
The copper mines are supposed to be the best in the world they are un mined but emeralds have been mined, due to war after war China needs the copper for technology but Russia has border interest so the Taliban will get what they need to finance a rouge state some big chess politics are going to be coming round soon let’s see as external players are funding the resistance movement in the Valley and Pakistan playing a double card again!
Well that’s my take!

sig2340

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The copper mines are supposed to be the best in the world they are un mined but emeralds have been mined, due to war after war China needs the copper for technology but Russia has border interest so the Taliban will get what they need to finance a rouge state some big chess politics are going to be coming round soon let’s see as external players are funding the resistance movement in the Valley and Pakistan playing a double card again!
Well that’s my take!
Add to it the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India Pipeline project is $1B into a $10B estimated cost. That is going to be interesting to see what happens with respect to Afghanistan’s considerable gaseous, liquid, solid mineral wealth.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Basically all the same stories, just different faces and different years.
Nothing surprising or new..

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Basically all the same stories, just different faces and different years.
Nothing surprising or new..
Well it all keeps me from dozing of in my arm chair I’m just waiting for the in fighting with the Talaban as how they manage to keep a grip on the rank and file god only knows the commanders are all from mixed tribal backgrounds their interpretation of their Islamic law can be policed so very different depending on how hard line they are!

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Well it all keeps me from dozing of in my arm chair I’m just waiting for the in fighting with the Talaban as how they manage to keep a grip on the rank and file god only knows the commanders are all from mixed tribal backgrounds their interpretation of their Islamic law can be policed so very different depending on how hard line they are!
my point was, group x takes control, US, Russia etc does not like their politics (if there is any) from these radical groups,
then not-CIA or any intelligence agency provide supplies and train them to fight against group X, so now group Y now takes control,
but now they are going to fight for their ideals or religion, it doesnt changes (same thing happened and probably will still happen
in South America for example with guerrilhas, designated by these gov to take control). It doest even matter if their roots are religious
or political, today is taliban, who knows who will be the next

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I feel very sorry for the women and children :( However they can´t just flee to other countries because they have new leaders regardless who this is. if this was the case then every country would do it. I understand people being given asylum for political reasons but at some point the boat is full !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I feel very sorry for the women and children :( However they can´t just flee to other countries because they have new leaders regardless who this is. if this was the case then every country would do it. I understand people being given asylum for political reasons but at some point the boat is full !
Don’t think they have new leaders just not in power for 20 years and their past records ain’t going to give much confidence.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Don’t think they have new leaders just not in power for 20 years and their past records ain’t going to give much confidence.
sadly you are correct. I just hope China does not move in because then i think it will be very volatile. :eek: