a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wake up call for pretending candidates

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusabos,
Your post 72 reminds me of a PT (Prick Teaser) with promises, promises and then no real action.
Even worse you finally discover the girl is 'jail bait' and under 16.

Until we get more Greens on board, I shall have to continue joshing in a frivolous manner.:cry:

Reaction score
Home Country
Kenya
Yeah, well is not the ideal, in fact there a few books that talk only about the History of Military nutrition. How they went from "Ok, find your food or die" to "It looks like food, but is not actually" to finally "Hey here is your MRE, it will fullful your daily diet"

About the journey, for what you told us, i think the cheapest way and one of the fastest

-Get a Visa from Germany.

-Find a flight to Cologne Bonn Airport

-From Cologne, you can take the thalys and in 4 hours more or less you are going to be in Paris Central Station, There is a train that leaves like 6 in the morning and reahs paris about 10 something
If you buy the ticket with anticipation you can get them quite cheap.

-Walk 10 km to Fort de Nogent. In the route you are going to find some Dia Discount supermarkets, there you can get cheap food and something to drink.. Even if you can live Ghandi style is better to eat something.
THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE..

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
As for rowing a boat. Legion won't take you if you came to country illegally. I don't know what is policy towards asylum seekers, but even if FFL taking those men they probably have to have their asylum granted.
Not true, 16:43 kazakh guy, ive heard a couple of other stories as well

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure if the question of crossing the border into France is the main question. If our Kenyan friend should even get within sight of a main line shipping vessel in a rowing boat :ROFLMAO: he would be immediately reported to the French coast guard. As for eating once a week and sleeping outside. well it depends ?
I think that for the moment Hungry to serve (In capitols) is slightly disillusioned and should think strongly and wisely before making his trip.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
As for rowing a boat. Legion won't take you if you came to country illegally. I don't know what is policy towards asylum seekers, but even if FFL taking those men they probably have to have their asylum granted.
As far I know, if you have a valid passport, the Legion does not care how you came to the recruitment post.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
As far I know, if you have a valid passport, the Legion does not care how you came to the recruitment post.
That makes me wonder something, if they check the passport, they can see if you have a valid visa or in case you don't need a visa if you over stayed or not.
If they see that candidate is illegal, shouldn't they report it to the Police? After all they are Government employee, so they should uphold the current law in France. Of course they could just get temporal blindness.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
First thing you learn in the Legion....mangez est un act de combat
Any fifi wannabe who dosent understand this simple rule
..can fucque himself
Your duty is a fkn Block
I eat shite
We eat shite
Shite dosent please you ?

Nowadays : Ask to go civil and stop wasting evry buddys shite

We do not need you ..you are a wanker true or false,but only you will know : (you know ? )
Go fucque your self. ...waster
Life is short and my patience too (but i try, and I try )

Beef up Wanquers!

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That makes me wonder something, if they check the passport, they can see if you have a valid visa or in case you don't need a visa if you over stayed or not.
If they see that candidate is illegal, shouldn't they report it to the Police? After all they are Government employee, so they should uphold the current law in France. Of course they could just get temporal blindness.
I'm not quite sure what Le petit caporal was on about there, but to answer GSP's question, I don't think the legion really cares. If they do know that a certain country needs a visa to get in then they may ask you about it. But as far as they are concerned if you don't get in then you were never there. Don't forget that practically as soon as you step through the door you will have your name changed. I mean it would be going against the legion's principles to turn someone over to the police because they don't have an entrance visa. And not to mention those that have admitted to smoking weed in the past.

It don't think that the entrance ratio would be 1/8 I'd put it down to 1/1000:)

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
I'm not quite sure what Le petit caporal was on about there, but to answer GSP's question, I don't think the legion really cares. If they do know that a certain country needs a visa to get in then they may ask you about it. But as far as they are concerned if you don't get in then you were never there. Don't forget that practically as soon as you step through the door you will have your name changed. I mean it would be going against the legion's principles to turn someone over to the police because they don't have an entrance visa. And not to mention those that have admitted to smoking weed in the past.

It don't think that the entrance ratio would be 1/8 I'd put it down to 1/1000:)
Yeah, i guess it would be against their principles

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I'm not quite sure what Le petit caporal was on about there, (...)
Even I don't know what I was talking about. But... that's beside the point. Reading back the previous posts on this thread, gave me the munchies (bet none of you care).

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Romans used to carry with them Pigeons and other things to live off of. Today's MREs each one has about 5 thousand calories, when you are in full gear and doing things it takes quite a bit calories to maintain and be able to fight

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The Romans used to carry with them Pigeons and other things to live off of. Today's MREs each one has about 5 thousand calories, when you are in full gear and doing things it takes quite a bit calories to maintain and be able to fight
Actually they have cows, pigs, goats, chickens etc. everything they need in order feed the army which they carried with them. There was also many non-soldiers going along side legions needed in order to machine work smoothly. They also carried a lot of grains with them along with study supplies from fertile parts of the empire. If times were hard they would plunder villages on the way.
All in all Roman soldiers were feed very well for the time (probably also for today standards in some parts of world). Many men join army mainly because of food.

They also have some early MREs in form of dried salty bacon, hard tack biscuits, and ofcourse wine.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Actually they have cows, pigs, goats, chickens etc. everything they need in order feed the army which they carried with them. There was also many non-soldiers going along side legions needed in order to machine work smoothly. They also carried a lot of grains with them along with study supplies from fertile parts of the empire. If times were hard they would plunder villages on the way.
All in all Roman soldiers were feed very well for the time (probably also for today standards in some parts of world). Many men join army mainly because of food.

They also have some early MREs in form of dried salty bacon, hard tack biscuits, and ofcourse wine.

They really understood the supply line and the food. The Pigeons were only a small part of their food. Still today one can see the Roman influence on modern armies and how they are arranged.

If you served 20-years in the Roman Legions you were granted Roman Citizenship, I bet that was no small feat to accomplish.

notatexan

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not really sure what to make of this post. I strongly recommend going straight to aubagne. Paris is just a waste of time

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey Tex !
I hope that you are well and settled back down to civilian life:cool:. There's a few of your countrymen going to join over the next coming weeks/months.
Any inside info from you would be a great help as you were an instructor in Castel. Can you confirm that the guys will get back all their IT stuff after basic? Also how it works to telephone home during instruction.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
This was something I was pondering on I'm a good six months away yet but the only real reason I've heard for travelling straight to aubagne is to save time and waiting around for selection? What's a few days wait? I live near Newcastle so Ill be fliying direct to paris, if they Dont want me in one area of selection I doubt theyll take me in another :)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This was something I was pondering on I'm a good six months away yet but the only real reason I've heard for travelling straight to aubagne is to save time and waiting around for selection? What's a few days wait? I live near Newcastle so Ill be fliying direct to paris, if they Dont want me in one area of selection I doubt theyll take me in another :)
Not true. In FDN, Paris, You will do the bare minimum there. You will work normally around Nogent, it is NOT big by any means. You will do prelim medical there and if you pass the basic, you will do the run test there, beep, luc leger. YOU WILL have to redo it in Aubagne, nor the prelim medical and will skip to a next phase of medical. It is best to go to Aubagne, that's just my personal opinion. You will eat FAR better than FDN. You will be far busier, thus making the time pass faster.
If you dont want to do the same test over again, i would go to Aubagne. If you dont mind, then hit FDN. You will just be super hungry at FDN all the time and bored out of your wits for 7-10 days. Like I was.

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Not really sure what to make of this post. I strongly recommend going straight to aubagne. Paris is just a waste of time

Hi notatexan, hope u are well!

Im enlisting in Aubagne next week 21/12 and its near to xmas. Based on inputs from forumers its a slow time for selection, as xmas and new year is a big thing for legion.

At first i wanted to enlist in FdN, due to inputs i decided to enlist in Aubagne instead. From ur experience do they still do selection arnd the period? I can stretch to jan 16 before my flight aller retour a mon pays

Thanks in advance!