a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wake up call for pretending candidates

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Back north? What do you mean?

I'm referring to what the OP said.

Also, do you or have you frequented a forum called ASM? Do you have Syrian heritage roots? Someone used your username there if it wasn't you and I'm wondering if it was you.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I'm referring to what the OP said.

Also, do you or have you frequented a forum called ASM? Do you have Syrian heritage roots? Someone used your username there if it wasn't you and I'm wondering if it was you.

So you mean why can't you just walk or hitchhike back to Paris from Aubagne? It's a 3 hour journey on a high speed train. :)
No clue what ASM is and no Syrian roots, my family heritage is mostly from Ireland and the UK with a smattering of other European dalliances thrown in. Nickfury is a common name since the Avengers movies came out, but I have been using it since way before the movies since I liked the comics. :)

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Yessess guys, maybe I am kicking in an open door, but if it is an issue to get there, or what to do if not accepted, well... do yourself a huge favour!!!

Don't go

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Yessess guys, maybe I am kicking in an open door, but if it is an issue to get there, or what to do if not accepted, well... do yourself a huge favour!!!

Don't go

Bloody hell joining was so much easier without this internet thing and the confusion it causes.

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bloody hell joining was so much easier without this internet thing and the confusion it causes.

To be honest, I always wondered how this worked? Word of mouth, reading, then looking at an almanac or atlas or something similar for addresses? Perhaps advertisements? As in, how would someone in let's say 60's U.S join? Pure interest, sorry for the stupid questions - generation gap.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
To be honest, I always wondered how this worked? Word of mouth, reading, then looking at an almanac or atlas or something similar for addresses? Perhaps advertisements? As in, how would someone in let's say 60's U.S join? Pure interest, sorry for the stupid questions - generation gap.

There's no such as "stupid questions" , only stupid people don't ask (Always Seek Knowledge) questions. In the 60's, they would have to haul their ass over to France, stumble on top a recruiting poster, getting in problems with the law, being picked up by the Gendarmerie or the Police (that would have a poster somewhere), or meeting someone, that would tell a tale and give the address. Ah, those where the days, without the 'internet' and confusers...

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
There's no such as "stupid questions" , only stupid people don't ask (Always Seek Knowledge) questions. In the 60's, they would have to haul their ass over to France, stumble on top a recruiting poster, getting in problems with the law, being picked up by the Gendarmerie or the Police (that would have a poster somewhere), or meeting someone, that would tell a tale and give the address. Ah, those where the days, without the 'internet' and confusers...

Thanks for the quick reply. That's sort of what I figured, kind of amazing really. There must really have been some characters back then considering how unknown it was.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

Quite simple. Meet my mate Joe who was on leave at the time in what was then our local pub. After a few cold ones told me all about being en service with the Legion, Being pissed off in civvy street after leaving the British Army and having nothing to lose apart from a boring bloody job on a building site and being fit with a smattering of basic school boy French, gave my notice in settled my affairs over in the UK and informed my parents what I was up too. I was on the boat from Dover the next week. Stayed with friends in Paris had a few days seeing the sights and went to Fort De Norgent under my own steam. The rest as they say is now History,
Told my parents I was going on holiday and doing a few things, but told me Dad were I was going as he knew i was very pissed off. They got a postcard from the local tabac after instruction and ant communication was done by letter and the odd phone call, Untill 3 years in they came over and had a holiday,

Last edited:

DuckDown

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Quite simple. Meet my mate Joe who was on leave at the time in what was then our local pub. After a few cold ones told me all about being en service with the Legion, Being pissed off in civvy street and having nothing to lose apart from a boring bloody job on a building site and being fit with a smattering of basic school boy French, gave my notice in settled my affairs over in the UK and informed my parents what I was up too. I was on the boat from Dover the next week. Stayed with friends in Paris had a few days seeing the sights and went to Fort De Norgent under my own steam. The rest as they say is now History,
Told my parents I was going on holiday and doing a few things, but told me Dad were I was going as he knew i was very pissed off. They got a postcard from the local tabac after instruction and ant communication was done by letter and the odd phone call, Untill 3 years in they came over and had a holiday,

Thanks for sharing Martin, cool to hear these kind of stories from Ancients.

3stripedwoodentop

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'm still heading down south!!! I can afford it and will have have money in advance for return cab fares/train journey from Aubagne back to Marseille then return flight back to London if I get turned down!!! I won't be concerned about facing the ‘gestapo’ either!!!! I got nothing to hide. The only people who are afraid of it are those with something to hide.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I'm still heading down south!!! I can afford it and will have have money in advance for return cab fares/train journey from Aubagne back to Marseille then return flight back to London if I get turned down!!! I won't be concerned about facing the ‘gestapo’ either!!!! I got nothing to hide. The only people who are afraid of it are those with something to hide.
Well from you handle just be honest fit and be the greyman, best of luck.BRB LPN

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Well... The security background check done by the so-called ‘gestapo’ is one thing, and probably not the most difficult one. Your main objective will be to convince the recruiters during your interviews that you'll be able to adapt to the Legion way, become a good legionnaire and that... you won't desert after six months..!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Well... The security background check done by the so-called ‘gestapo’ is one thing, and probably not the most difficult one. Your main objective will be to convince the recruiters during your interviews that you'll be able to adapt to the Legion way, become a good legionnaire and that... you won't desert after six months..!

Here goes my reputation, if he does get in 50 euros says he stays the course and fin de contrat avec honneur et fidélité.

Last edited by a moderator:

3stripedwoodentop

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Here goes my reputation, if he does get in 50 euros says he stays the course and fin de contrat avec honneur et fidélité.

Yeah finish the 5 year contract and then Serve 15-20 years depending on when they will retire me as i would have nothing to return to in the UK.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Yeah finish the 5 year contract and then Serve 15-20 years depending on when they will retire me as i would have nothing to return to in the UK.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I personally think that I should have stayed in as well. Best of luck