a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Visa

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When you are still airside you have not entered the country technically , you have to clear immigration to enter ,customs and immigration has every right to go through your things if they believe you are intending to break the law ,technically illegal working in this case , obstructing them / not giving passwords would see you back on the plane going home.
However I dont know how French immigration would react if you tell them you intend to join the Legion, obviously the Legion is a legit employer who employ`s foreigners but non EU nationals need a work permit to work in the EU , complicated , better for the OP to say they are a back packer in my view.
yeah..he is a tourist. I don´t think you would be subject to such scrutiny unless they had very good solid grounds. such as you were a suspected terrorist or drug smuggler. But as i wrote you could be correct in what you are saying so he should not take the risk.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the Forum Brandon, even if it wasn't much of an intro.
As Surfguy rightly pointed out, you will be asked questions about your intention s of entering France, especially with a one way ticket. You will need to work on your 'reasons' for entering France. I would also recommend you to go to Aubagne, count on 100 Euros for a train ticket and 50 Euros for a night in a hotel. Let's be honest, you don't want to join up with jet lag.
Use the search mode to check on how to get to the train station. Do NOT take taxi.
If that is you intention (Aubagne) I can send you the adresse of a good, cheap hotel in Aubagne.
P.s. watch the swearing;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to the Forum Brandon, even if it wasn't much of an intro.
As Surfguy rightly pointed out, you will be asked questions about your intention s of entering France, especially with a one way ticket. You will need to work on your 'reasons' for entering France. I would also recommend you to go to Aubagne, count on 100 Euros for a train ticket and 50 Euros for a night in a hotel. Let's be honest, you don't want to join up with jet lag.
Use the search mode to check on how to get to the train station. Do NOT take taxi.
If that is you intention (Aubagne) I can send you the adresse of a good, cheap hotel in Aubagne.
P.s. watch the swearing;)
Thanks for the info. From what I gather, you're recommending that I just head straight to Aubagne instead of the recruiting station located in Paris? If that's the case I'll just take the train straight there then and get a room. And, I will admit I assumed that if I just told customs I was looking at volunteering for the FFL & I wouldn't have any trouble. I suppose I will have to just say I'm back packing for the next 90 days as to I haven't put in for a visa. I should prob schedule my visa interview. Hopefully I can get it at least started before I fly out.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Arriving at Charles de Gaulle airport (Paris) with an American passport you will automatically get a 90 day tourist visa. Make sure your passport is valid for at 3 months of arrival. The Legion processing takes anything from 2-4 weeks. If you have the funds $$$ go directly to Aubagne (east of Marseille). Dozens of young men arrive in France per week, many get cold feet at the last moment outside the big gate and return home. It’s a roll of the dice whether the Legion wants you. Everyone pays their own way to France, no cost to the French taxpayers. Le petit corporal has given you some good advice eg: get up to speed with your running, learn some basic french lingo. All the best.
Thank you for the advise and info, I appreciate it. I think I will just head straight to aubagne. Sounds like that's the thing to do instead of heading to the recruiting station in Paris.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When you are still airside you have not entered the country technically , you have to clear immigration to enter ,customs and immigration has every right to go through your things if they believe you are intending to break the law ,technically illegal working in this case , obstructing them / not giving passwords would see you back on the plane going home.
However I dont know how French immigration would react if you tell them you intend to join the Legion, obviously the Legion is a legit employer who employ`s foreigners but non EU nationals need a work permit to work in the EU , complicated , better for the OP to say they are a back packer in my view.
The visa info has been so mixed on the info I've researched and received. I've called about it read about and used the visa thing online. I'm going to schedule my interview for one and just hope it can go through quick.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The visa info has been so mixed on the info I've researched and received. I've called about it read about and used the visa thing online. I'm going to schedule my interview for one and just hope it can go through quick.
You want to visit Europe as a tourist / backpacker ;)

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Keep it simple...you’ve been advised at what to do. Less than 1% of blokes that come on this forum travel to France. A lot come on here because they are bored behind the computer whilst still living with their parents. They usually move on after a few months and disappear into the cervens ‘black hole’, never to be heard of again. You have more than enough information now. Make damn sure it’s what you want, not just a passing fad to impress your friends (or the local blond barmaid). There’s a good chance you could find yourself in the Sahel region of Africa within 6 months on operations.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I suppose I will have to just say I'm back packing for the next 90 days
Brandon, let's get this visa thing worked out first. Pink Floyd has told you that you will get a visa on arrival -90 days.
that is the maximum that you can stay there. It does not mean that you Have to stay 90 days. Check up on the internet for your own piece of mind.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Check out what to take and what not to take (there's a list some where)
Apart from a nail clipper, disposable razors and a disposable pen, no other forms of dangerous weapons
Loads of necessary crap you can buy at the super market in Aubange an hour or two before you present your self

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Keep it simple...you’ve been advised at what to do. Less than 1% of blokes that come on this forum travel to France. A lot come on here because they are bored behind the computer whilst still living with their parents. They usually move on after a few months and disappear into the cervens ‘black hole’, never to be heard of again. You have more than enough information now. Make damn sure it’s what you want, not just a passing fad to impress your friends (or the local blond barmaid). There’s a good chance you could find yourself in the Sahel region of Africa within 6 months on operations.
It's def 100 % what I want. I've bought my plane ticket already. This means everything to me. To be back in the military, to be challenged to the complete and total breaking point, look this is personal to me and has a lot to do with honor. I have a good career, I have a good life here in the states. But it's filled with this empty longing to be back in the with the warrior class. it's hard to really explain via forums board where you can see the longing in body language for this or the passion in my voice. But I will fly out in July and I will earn my selection and I will earn this title and be back among my brothers. I don't care where I'm sent where I deploy none of that matters all I care about is beinging honor to my surname and being back in the warrior world. I need this. Thank you for yours and also every one else reading this thank you for info and advise. The words of wisdom. Bit of a rant but just trying to express what this opportunity means to me.