a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venezuela and Blackwater,

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the history lesson, mate. Yes, I accept all your points, and I have actually lived and worked in South Korea, travelling all over the country , eaten great Korean food, gotten ‘friendly’ with some of their gorgeous women.......(sorry, I drifted off there a bit)
And even understanding a bit of the conflict by finding and exploring old fox holes near the DMZ.

My first duty station was Korea. Your experiences there remind me a lot of my own. When we weren't in the field, I'd spend my weekends exploring the hills around Dongducheon by day, and of course, drinking and chasing skirt by night. I was only 19; still a big kid, really, so finding old bunkers and trench lines was still the coolest thing ever. My best find was an entire bunker complex with interconnecting trenches and tunnels.

But nevertheless, the end game of ridding the Korean peninsula of the Kim dynasty once and for all was halted at the 35th parallell, or thereabouts. With unspeakable horrors befalling the poor unlucky north Koreans, and still going on, with the latest fat boy Kim in charge.

Why didn’t the yanks and their allies just keep pushing the communists north, getting rid of the Kims once and for all? Instead of the current mess with the north armed with nukes and ICMs as well? A bit like the Iraq mess, but potentially worse.

Now, that was my take on history 😂h

Funnily enough, General Douglas MacArthur had the same idea back in November 1950; why stop at the 38th parallel and just return to the status quo ante, especially when they had the Nork's on the run? President Truman was concerned that the Chinese didn't want a unified, democratic Korea bordering them, because that could be used as a beach-head for a later western invasion. Truman reasoned that China would enter the war if MacArthur pushed to close to their border, and ordered Dougie Mac to stop advancing. MacArthur said "Screw you Mr. President, I'm General MacArthur, I do what I want, we gone win this shit and be home 'fore Christmas", did not stop, pushed all the way to the Yalu River (the chinese border)--

And, brother, MacArthur was wrong. Big time.

See, what had happened was: about a bajillion fuggin' chinamen done come screaming across the Yalu, threw the Allies back to the 38th parallel-- where the front would pretty much remain static for the remainder of the war-- and MacArthur was cashiered. Oops.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
My first duty station was Korea. Your experiences there remind me a lot of my own. When we weren't in the field, I'd spend my weekends exploring the hills around Dongducheon by day, and of course, drinking and chasing skirt by night. I was only 19; still a big kid, really, so finding old bunkers and trench lines was still the coolest thing ever. My best find was an entire bunker complex with interconnecting trenches and tunnels.

Funnily enough, General Douglas MacArthur had the same idea back in November 1950; why stop at the 38th parallel and just return to the status quo ante, especially when they had the Nork's on the run? President Truman was concerned that the Chinese didn't want a unified, democratic Korea bordering them, because that could be used as a beach-head for a later western invasion. Truman reasoned that China would enter the war if MacArthur pushed to close to their border, and ordered Dougie Mac to stop advancing. MacArthur said "Screw you Mr. President, I'm General MacArthur, I do what I want, we gone win this shit and be home 'fore Christmas", did not stop, pushed all the way to the Yalu River (the chinese border)--

And, brother, MacArthur was wrong. Big time.

See, what had happened was: about a bajillion fuggin' chinamen done come screaming across the Yalu, threw the Allies back to the 38th parallel-- where the front would pretty much remain static for the remainder of the war-- and MacArthur was cashiered. Oops.
Great summary, but I somehow reckon that if the Koreans were left to their own at sorting out their differences, they would have been all fine by now, and no fat boy Kim in charge of half of the country. A bit like Vietnam today, perhaps. Just my theory.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So Erik Prince pushes this idea trying to get support from American government. I don't believe he would succeed in that. For sure not official support. Maybe we already have some Blackwater man in Venezuela training and guiding rebels

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So Erik Prince pushes this idea trying to get support from American government. I don't believe he would succeed in that. For sure not official support. Maybe we already have some Blackwater man in Venezuela training and guiding rebels

Hopefully we do nothing. Nothing would galvanize popular support for Maduro quite like us intervening militarily; obviously, Maduro knows this. Which is why a member of his cabinet essentially dared us to do just that:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Also, there was this--

Meet Teñiente Bojangles McBlackface of the Venezuelan Army. That camo paint, tho... I can't.

Well you wouldcertainly hear them coming and therefore easier to shoot :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Does Blackwater hire internationally? In fact, are there PSCs that hire internationally?
They working for money so... They probably could get hired with direct enemy of US (or country where company is based), but then again if no one knows... :) Name Blackwater somehow does not fit to company which is all open about its business. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just once, I'd like my country to not get involved in another event. There are things closer to home that should have their attention. Everyone in the US is at each other's throats these days.
Sorry to inform you, but your county is already very involved in things in Venezuela. I guess you are thinking on direct involvement by sending troops.

As for 5000 troops https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...a-venezuela-military-intervention/2705957002/

I think this was just trick to scare Maduro.