a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USS Fitzgerald

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Please remember in your thoughts and prayers the deceased crewmen of the USS Fitzgerald. ☦ï¸￾

I presume that's the ship that ran into an even bigger container ship, or vise versa? When I was a sailor we kept watch around the clock for other ships. I suppose that custom might have been a bit lax when two huge ships of that size somehow managed to miss spotting eachother, and Bang!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The rule of the high seas is that the container ship had priority because of it is less manoeuvrable and because of it's weight distribution. Someone's head is going to roll because the destroyer cut straight across it's bow, the proof is it was hit on the flank. It is not unusal for container ships to put the ship on auto pilot and the reduced crew to go to sleep. I'm not saying it is allowed. But what I will say is that it is unusual for a US destroyer not to have someone on the bridge who did not see it. Or the cheif officer of the watch to have not noticed it on the radar.

Each vessel has to have a set of lights to show fellow seamen what type of vessel they have in the waters. As far as we know (because of conflicting reports) there are 7 US seamen who have paid their lives for people who have not done their job. I would not like to be the one who announces to the famalies.View attachment 5853

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Thanks mate, much better reply thine mine.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The 'Officer of the Watch' on the USS Fitzgerald will be in deep trouble. So may the Navigating Officer. I have yet to ascertain which vessel was at fault since there has been a paucity here of actual detail. Nevertheless the USN vessel should have been more alert.

Chas. Member of the Honourable Order of the Blue Nose 1960 ! HMS Undine as the 'Soldier' on board. Matelot appellation for RM officer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks mate, much better reply thine mine.

Jonny, please don't call me mate. I'm a B or even a C-actor having joined up in '84. As for giving a much better reply than yours, I know.
It's not really all that hard.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Jonny, please don't call me mate. I'm a B or even a C-actor having joined up in '84. As for giving a much better reply than yours, I know.

Good point, mate, how's your ladyboy?

( By the way. You will never find out how I know. I'm sworne to secrecy... taraaa...)

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway

No I should just call you 'Pain in the Arse'. You are really good at that, you know. So why not show us a pic of all your medals from The French Foreign Legion, then? Go on, Jo, you must have at least one, non?

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Please remember in your thoughts and prayers the deceased crewmen of the USS Fitzgerald. ☦ï¸￾

The Navy has released the names. The U.S. Navy on Monday identified the dead sailors as:

• Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia;
    Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego, California;
    Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut;
    Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas;
    Carlos Victor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, California;
    Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland;
    Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio.

Eternal rest grant to them O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, and their memory be eternal.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What really happened here? Somehow is hard for me to believe that this two ships collided just because some sailor get drunk (or something). I mean in order to that big ships collide, in this modern age, more than one man have to F-up really badly.

More likely, they don't telling us something. I don't believe in most conspiracy theories that I hear about, but in this case definitely have room for one.

There is new radar jamming systems capable of totally "blinding" a ship. Who knows.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
What really happened here? Somehow is hard for me to believe that this two ships collided just because some sailor get drunk (or something). I mean in order to that big ships collide, in this modern age, more than one man have to F-up really badly.

More likely, they don't telling us something. I don't believe in most conspiracy theories that I hear about, but in this case definitely have room for one.

There is new radar jamming systems capable of totally "blinding" a ship. Who knows.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/21/politics/fitzgerald-initial-investigation-blames-navy/index.html

I had just read this article, but we'll see at the moment it's still finger pointing.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Unfortunately there has been another incident involving a US Destroyer and an oil tanker off the coast of Singapour. 10 missing. The USS John S. McCain collided with the oil tanker in the strait of Malacca, search and rescue is ongoing.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think that big shots from US navy should explain some things now. I think that I heard on news that this is fourth USS collision this year.

Something going on for sure. That's not small vessel, it's a F*cking tanker! USS should detect and alert crew long before something like Somali pirates "rowboat" come even close to it.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The entire 7th Fleet has been placed on Stand-down to review safety.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The entire 7th Fleet has been placed on Stand-down to review safety.

There are talks of possible hacking of computers. As one retired admiral stated you do not go through the straights of Malacca without doubling your lookouts and manning the radars. I am only repeating what I've read, I have no idea if a naval ship can be steered without computer technology. Of course we may never know what actuallly happened which would be a shame for the victimes families.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yep, now they will blame it on Russians. "That goddamn ex-communists, they have to stop messing up with our ships." ! :)

Like North Korea and electricity shortages. Whenever is blackout (probably every day) they blame US for it.

Also that was case in my country in 99. They blamed NATO for electricity shortages long after bombing campaign ended. Turned out that some state officially sold electricity to Romania and that was one of reasons for shortage.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Honesty I think that something going on with China in that part. There is big conflict about who will control that waterways in South China sea, busiest in world by far.

I heard the US ships shutdown radars on purpose so they can be detectable. Don't know how true is that.

It would be good if someone who has actually know how war ship command deck operate to tell us how possible is that something like this happen. Let alone 4 times in one year.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I wasn't going to reply, but ok... I think I've been on this boat... Friends... Grew up in the community.

First, Irish, are you O-dox?

Ok... The US Navy IS the most powerful force on the face of planet earth (those in the know will not argue that point) With great power comes great responsibility. These are normally very rare occurrences. My deepest condolences to the families of these sailors. I promise there is an investigation going on right now and the USN is learning from its mistakes.

7th fleets' HQ is out of Norfolk, VA. Yet this incident happened in Asian waters? 7th Fleets patrol zone is the Atlantic, Med, Gulf, etc... It is a HUGE group of boats planes and people; the bredth, width and depth of which it would take years to understand. 7th Fleet, or any 'fleet' for that matter, will never stop It's roving watch, not for this... Not for anything... There is no rock that will ever stop that wheel from rolling.

A USN destroyer can be run by O4 and up. There are usually 3 people on the bridge at any one time. Then there is a watch on the fantail (back deck) and sometimes one in the bow (front) of the ship.

We have doubles (or more) of everything, incase one brakes, we bring the standby online. As an example, without giving too much away, I will say we have 2 civilian RADAR, 2 military RADAR and an extra that is known in mil terms as IFF; 'ID, friend or foe'. Truthfully, we have many more than that usually. There are usually 2 guys watching all the RADAR at one time. We do 12 on 12 off rotations. There should always be an officer on the bridge supervising.

The US Navy has very strict regulations on drinking and drugs. I would say they are one of the most strict military organizations. Canadians get rations. Brits get rations. Yankees do not, ever! We have to of shut the boat down for R n R for several days for the beer or wine to flow.

It is true that we cast an electronic 'signature'. We do shut down equipment depending on the 'situation'.

Maybe there is a new EMP devise out there and these are the results.... Curious.