a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transition to civilian life

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I dont know whats on offer training wise in the Legion I do know theres good University education available before or after service in the UK / for UK citizens , you dont need money to take a degree and you dont need good school qualifications either , taking a degree can done through student finance and you can also get living expenses paid , it is classed as a loan but you dont have to repay it until you earn over £21k and then its always at an affordable amount , its a no brainer really if you dont have good prospects, I think the age limit is 65 !

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/international-defence-and-security

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgra...telligence-and-international-security-ma.aspx

http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/course.asp?code=LW031H31UVD

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To be quite honest, I didn't want to reply to this post (not you Surfguy, old buddy), but to the thread. I mean what are you expecting? I can tell you what is on offer on your basic CV.:
5 Years in the FFL;
Fluent French,
Heavy goods vehicle licence.
First aid certificate(s)...

And a whole lot more.
All the clubs that you joined outside of the Legion, divers or parachuting etc., in a civvy club, your certificates are accepted anywhere.

Geneticcz

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
I understand that for those who joined a long time ago when things were different or those who survived their 5 years already it might be annoying to see people ask what benefits or what else they can get out of it but like USMCRET, i personally dont think theres anything wrong with trying to prepare for a better life afterwards, whatever reason you might have for joining, it is because you want to make your situation better. for some with a really f*cked up criminal situation, anything they can get is better or for those who are in trouble with immigration, the french citizenship might be all they want but for people who are not completely f*ckups or in a complete shit situation, they might just want to become better (more disciplined and motivated) people and have a better life. for some it might be money. whatever the reason is, as long as it is enough for that individual to motivate and dedicate themselves completely then that is up to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There is a big difference from the US military and the Legion. The US want the best that their country has to offer and so make it worth their while to join. The Legion does not have the same to offer. No college degree etc.

However nothing in the Legion stops you from studying in your own time. You can take an open university degree or become a helicopter pilot if you want. Now why would I mention the latter? Because I know someone who did. He was a Sgt in the CEA MILAN 2 2e REP - my old section. He wanted to join the the ALAT (Aviation Légère de l'Armée de Terre). The only problem was 1) he was Belgian and 2) he had to be qualified as a helicopter pilot to join. Now this only counts for those people wanting to do an inter service change. I mean if he was French and joined the ALAT straight away, no problem, they would have taught him to fly.

So how did he go about it? First he took French nationality. Then he joined the Flight school in Bastia (or Borgo which is just near to it). I'd always see him with his manuals when we were on training exercises like Canjuers etc. I went to Djibouti and the next time I saw him was in Central Africa, he was a heli pilot with COS (Commandement des Opérations Spéciales). When he finishes with the army, he'll have a few hours flying time on his score sheet.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
There is a big difference from the US military and the Legion. The US want the best that their country has to offer and so make it worth their while to join. The Legion does not have the same to offer. No college degree etc.

However nothing in the Legion stops you from studying in your own time. You can take an open university degree or become a helicopter pilot if you want. Now why would I mention the latter? Because I know someone who did. He was a Sgt in the CEA MILAN 2 2e REP - my old section. He wanted to join the the ALAT (Aviation Légère de l'Armée de Terre). The only problem was 1) he was Belgian and 2) he had to be qualified as a helicopter pilot to join. Now this only counts for those people wanting to do an inter service change. I mean if he was French and joined the ALAT straight away, no problem, they would have taught him to fly.

So how did he go about it? First he took French nationality. Then he joined the Flight school in Bastia (or Borgo which is just near to it). I'd always see him with his manuals when we were on training exercises like Canjuers etc. I went to Djibouti and the next time I saw him was in Central Africa, he was a heli pilot with COS (Commandement des Opérations Spéciales). When he finishes with the army, he'll have a few hours flying time on his score sheet.
That's a very nice motivating story! Actually, I want to pursue a career in the regular French army (paratrooper). That is my main reason to join the Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
What I know is that the foreign paratroops are tier 2 in France and the Marine Infantry Paras are the Tier 1. My plan was to try my luck inside the Legion and see if I'm fit and strong enough for the 2 Rep which is gonna take a lot really considering I need to achieve a Y-3 in my eyes via eye surgery first then if I see myself fit in it then maybe I'd consider a career in the regular army paras.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Keegan, you will really need to have something that the regulars need to accept you. Your languages skills perhaps ? But take one step at a time. Get yourself selected, go through basic, promo and take it from there.
Keep the idea of changing corps to yourself whilst being interviewed.

Geneticcz

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
Hmm... My dream has always been to be a pilot, just a regular pilot for an airline. That would be amazing if possible to get during the 5 years and then even get some hours in as a pilot in the Legion.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What I know is that the foreign paratroops are tier 2 in France and the Marine Infantry Paras are the Tier 1. My plan was to try my luck inside the legion and see if I'm fit and strong enough for the 2rep which is gonna take a lot really considering I need to achieve a Y-3 in my eyes via eye surgery first then if I see myself fit in it then maybe I'd consider a career in the regular army paras.
I'm not sure whether you are Egyptian, certainly not by name anyway :). However if you are fluent in Arabic, French and you clearly are in English then I'd say any Western Army would be interested in you if in addition you had an EU passport and 5 years in the French military, crack on.

Hmm... My dream has always been to be a pilot, just a regular pilot for an airline. That would be amazing if possible to get during the 5 years and then even get some hours in as a pilot in the Legion.
As far as I know the Legion does not have its own pilots. You'd most likely have to go the route Joseph mentioned. Alternatively save like crazy for five years then get your CPL at a civilian flight school.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The bsle would be more than interested in having someone with your skills. Interrogations of new recruits, etc... After being interrogated yourself... of course.

I'm not sure whether you are Egyptian, certainly not by name anyway :). (...)
I think he is hallal... Knew enough about the Mistral and not that many do.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I'm not sure whether you are Egyptian, certainly not by name anyway :). However if you are fluent in Arabic, French and you clearly are in English then I'd say any Western Army would be interested in you if in addition you had an EU passport and 5 years in the French military, crack on.
It is an alias I'd like to change my name to that in the future if I get naturalized hopefully.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
To be quite honest, I didn't want to reply to this post (not you Surfguy, old buddy), but to the thread. I mean what are you expecting? I can tell you what is on offer on your basic CV.:
5 Years in the FFL;
Fluent French,

And a whole lot more.
All the clubs that you joined outside of the Legion, divers or parachuting etc., in a civvy club, your certificates are accepted anywhere.
And to all, I did not want to put a bad eye or disparage on la Légion étrangère. I simply do not know the benefits in the Legion and what one can do. Yes, we have outstanding benefits in the American Military; however, Joseph is right in this sense, an EV has a lot on his plate in the first engagement, hell, even most Marines would be hard pressed to take advantage of what is available. For Instance, a Grunt, 0311, Basic Rifleman will not have great deal of time, many schools for training and many field operations on top of surely a pending deployment.

But, even if one is a grunt, with years of services and rank, but most important of all self discipline and the value the individual places on things has everything to do with this thread and their future life.

Joseph, hope you understand?

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Well then, maybe a moderator would kindly delete it. Although national security here is quite busy these days with the elections if you know what I mean.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
As mentioned by Surfguy there are no pilots in the Legion, so forget the idea of having some flight training. What you can do however is to take flight lessons during your free time, to get familiar with piloting a plane (for example get your private pilot license) and save as much money as you can to help pay for the airline pilot licence lessons, after the Legion.

What I know is that the foreign paratroops are tier 2 in France and the Marine Infantry Paras are the Tier 1. (...)
Where are you getting this idea from :unsure: ? The idea of joining the regular French Army paratroopers after your time in the Legion is feasible, but you'll need to get French citizenship. And if you eventually get it, why not stay in the Legion ? You can keep serving in the Legion even after being naturalised. Going to a regular para regiment will not give you any significant additional experience, unless you join 1er RPIMa which is a special forces unit. Maybe that's what you had in mind.

Well then, maybe a moderator would kindly delete it. (...)
Ok. I've edited the post where you mentioned your real name and deleted all others posts making reference to it. La grande lessive (the big laundry)...:D

Geneticcz

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
As mentioned by Surfguy there are no pilots in the Legion, so forget the idea of having some flight training. What you can do however is to take flight lessons during your free time, to get familiar with piloting a plane (for example get your private pilot license) and save as much money as you can to help pay for the airline pilot licence lessons, after the Legion.

of course. i didnt mean get it done within the legion, i was just stating my surprise of being able to get it done (on free time/outside the legion) during service. just never pictured the legion being that "free". saw it more as a 24/7 5 year commitment. i can barely picture the idea of weekends off or nights off so let alone follow whole courses/education.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Rapace and all, there are very very few Marines with Jump Wings for the majority they are MARSOC Marines. We used to have a Speciality Called ANGLICO, Air and Naval Gun Fire Liaison /Control (Direct and Rain Steel on the Enemy from the sea. Marines mean "Sea Soldier"), they are no longer, they used to have to send their Parachute Riggers to Army Jump School. Before I retired in 2008, the Marine Corps was using school seats at the Army Jump Schools as a reenlistment incentive. So most Marines you see will have silver jump wings, the basic amount of jumps to earn the wings, 5 or so, I believe don't quote me or hold me to it, and Marines with Gold Jump Wings, these are your MARSOC Marines with many jumps and all sorts of jumps HALO and so on.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
5 Years in the FFL;
Fluent French,

And a whole lot more.

And that's all anyone could expect and it is a Gdamned good offer for most. And, the pride, esprit de corps, and title never given but earned, is very exclusive in the world

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
of course. i didnt mean get it done within the legion, i was just stating my surprise of being able to get it done (on free time/outside the legion) during service. just never pictured the legion being that "free". saw it more as a 24/7 5 year commitment. i can barely picture the idea of weekends off or nights off so let alone follow whole courses/education.

You see, you have to go back and really look at some of the posts and Legion Life, Legionnaires have lives outside the Legion. They are not on 24/7 Lock down for 5-years and the fantasy of what a Legionnaire or a Marine does everyday is pure fantasy and many on this forum have been thoroughly disappointed once they enlisted, a chap from Florida comes to mind. Everyday is not Beau Gueste or whatever fantasy there is out there.

And like was also stated numerous times, you can't watch a YouTube Documentary and think, oh this is easy, I can handle that! You have no idea of what to expect, us veterans try to explain but it, our explanation is not easily understood. How do you tell an EV/Marine that they know nothing, they are infants, and should not go in with preconceived notions on what life is like, we can't, you would not believe us anyway, you have your romantic vision. I do not know how good an individual is at tolerating what they consider to be dumb bullshit repetitive things and that the SCH or CCH is stupid and living in the stone age.