a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today is Judgment Day

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No I just said American. He said yeah. I said from where...he said Utah. This guy had a bunch of tats and a big USA flag on his neck...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No I just said American. He said yeah. I said from where...he said Utah. This guy had a bunch of tats and a big USA flag on his neck...

That's him 100%. Light hair, not blonde, but closer to blonde than to brown.

You should tell him "Krav maga those bitches up" and look how he respond. ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The guy is nuttier than a fruit cake, but a great guy. Justin, did you get any instruction on the replacement of the Famas? If you haven't already left do you know if you are taking the night boat or the NGV.

The NGV is a smaller but faster ferry which normaly only operates in summer. It takes 4 hours instead of the whole night. The legionnaires will be in Pullman seats unless they get together and get a cabin of four.

It takes all night, mainly so that the passangers can drive off during daylight. It's a great felling watching mainland France drift off in the distance as you literally set sail for new horizons.

Ok I'm getting all emotional.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Has anyone had any news from Auroris, it's been 10 days now. If no one has that's a good sign.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There is no such a thing as an EX MARINE, Marines are Marines until the day they die, that is unless they do something to dishonor themselves or the Corps.

So how to say about someone who not serving anymore. what's wrong with EX.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am a FORMER Royal Marine. 99% need not apply. We have no 'Exes' other than possibly wives. In my case this does not apply.
"Once a Royal Marine always a Royal Marine."
The same applies to our superb brothers in arms the USMC.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
From my interactions with Devil Dogs and Bootnecks...the preferred term seems to be "Marine/Royal not on active service", which implies that they are always ready to go back on active duty...which is pretty close to the truth.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So how to say about someone who not serving anymore. what's wrong with EX.

Because, becoming a Marine or a Legionnaire is no small feat, it is a TITLE EARNED, NEVER GIVEN, NEVER!

Marines are Marines FOREVER, all we have are Active Duty Marines and Former Marines, as in retired Marines or Honorably Discharged Marines. Never, never Ex, that is an insult to a Marine.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am a FORMER Royal Marine. 99% need not apply. We have no 'Exes' other than possibly wives. In my case this does not apply.
"Once a Royal Marine always a Royal Marine."
The same applies to our superb brothers in arms the USMC.

Thank you Marine!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From my interactions with Devil Dogs and Bootnecks...the preferred term seems to be "Marine/Royal not on active service", which implies that they are always ready to go back on active duty...which is pretty close to the truth.

Quite right a1b2c3, one correction, Leathernecks, not Bootnecks, that is unless Bootneck is a Royal Marine term? Thank you Legionnaire.

And you are right, we are always ready to go back into service, and desire nothing more in our lives. As a retired Marine, I am held on the Marine Corps roster until I reach full Retirement age, 65. The pay I receive ever month is actually, retainer pay, not retired pay.

Finally, we may have gotten older, fatter (me for sure), or slower; however, it does not make us less dangerous, you see now we know a fight or conflict cannot drag out because the young pup has youth, strength, and endurance on their side. So, now we old bastards run scenarios in our mind as to how the attack will be launched at us, how we will counter, and how we will immediately without hesitation, go for the kill shot.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
RM or USMC.

God help any who cross us. We stand ready young or old at all times. As has been said about RMs' they are the sheet anchor for the Nation. This would also apply to the USMC.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Because, becoming a Marine or a Legionnaire is no small feat, it is a TITLE EARNED, NEVER GIVEN, NEVER!

Marines are Marines FOREVER, all we have are Active Duty Marines and Former Marines, as in retired Marines or Honorably Discharged Marines. Never, never Ex, that is an insult to a Marine.

I think that pretty clear to majority on this forum, so no need to be offended if some use prefix "EX". We all have much respect for you guys.

I mean, how else to write shortly that one is not currently surviving marine?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think that pretty clear to majority on this forum, so no need to be offended if some use prefix "EX". We all have much respect for you guys.

I mean, how else to write shortly that one is not currently surviving marine?

FORMER with the statement; Once a Royal Marine ALWAYS a Royal Marine. No one on the RM forum uses the term EX. We are an exclusive brotherhood even in old age, we remain on standby.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
RM or USMC.

God help any who cross us. We stand ready young or old at all times. As has been said about RMs' they are the sheet anchor for the Nation. This would also apply to the USMC.

bloody hell! this is like a love fest! bollocks to you lot! still prefer a parachute then crawling around on a beach!

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
USMCRET...correct, Royal Marines are also known as Bootnecks. They also call each "Royal", Chas might be able to explain why. Not my place to speculate.

To paraphrase something I saw on a documentary a long time a go..."Earn your kepi/beret/cap badge/trident/tab/etc. everyday"

LPN

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
USMCRET...correct, Royal Marines are also known as Bootnecks. They also call each "Royal", Chas might be able to explain why. Not my place to speculate.

To paraphrase something I saw on a documentary a long time a go..."Earn your kepi/beret/cap badge/trident/tab/etc. everyday"

LPN

Marines in the US are called leather necks because of the leather collars we wore around our necks along time ago as protection from saber slashes.