a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of joining..

Reaction score
Home Country
Venezuela
Hey guys! Been thinking of joining for a while now.. I’m a 33 year old Venezuelan citizen currently living in Caracas. Seeing as to the situation in Venezuela doesn’t seem to get any better, I find myself In the position to look for a new place to start fresh. Since I do have to shoot straight for this next decision, I was wondering if it was common for somebody at my age to join up and actually get through. Just wondering if I might see other guys my age joining up. I don’t have any previous experience in the army other than having gone to a military school for high school and I’ve been working in the private security sector here in Venezuela, meaning I have a close relationship with my Glock. Also, I have a head injury from taking a punch with brass knuckles which made me get a metal plate on my cheek. Sounds more destructive than what it really is and usually if I don’t tell people they can’t tell this happened, but I do have a scar from the operation and a metal plate for a bone. Would that be something to hold me back if I try to join? Other than that I’m pretty fit health wise. Anyways, I do see the option of joining for a new citizenship and learning a new language as viable, plus I’ve always liked the army just didn’t want to join the Venezuelan army.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Pecorffl and welcome to the forum, I haven't got time now, but I'm sure that some of the others will answer your questions.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome to the forum mate! Maximum age for joining Legion is 39. Do you have any noticeable scars from when they put the plate in?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello again. Probably because of the time difference no-one has yet replied. It won't be unusual to see other people of the same age joining up, whether they get any further than bleu (the shoulder flash) is another matter. You do have one advantage on your side, being Venezuelan. As ironic as it may seem, it will stand in your favor. The fact that you don't have much to go back to means that you are more likely to stay the full five years. I'm not trying to be funny here.

One thing that you have to be careful is if you have a wife/girlfriend and children. Don't mention them, even if you feel that they will wait for you and you will send them money etc. there is no need to reply or defend yourself, just a word of warning.

As for the metal plate in your cheek, I honestly don't know. It will come to light eventually. I remember when we went to ex-yougo, everyone had to have a panoramic x-ray of their teeth.

What I might suggest is that you turn up with medical records (translated into French) and an x-ray of your cheek. You may have to weigh up whether it will be cheaper to have them done in Venezuela then in France.

Reaction score
Home Country
Venezuela
Welcome to the forum mate! Maximum age for joining Legion is 39. Do you have any noticeable scars from when they put the plate in?

Thanks!! Well I do have a 64 staples scar running down the side of my head. You can’t really see it when I have hair on my head,but once it’s shaved off, I’m sure somebody will notice it. I’m not impared at all from performing any task. Just have a titanium half a cheek.

Hello again. Probably because of the time difference no-one has yet replied. It won't be unusual to see other people of the same age joining up, whether they get any further than bleu (the shoulder flash) is another matter. You do have one advantage on your side, being Venezuelan. As ironic as it may seem, it will stand in your favor. The fact that you don't have much to go back to means that you are more likely to stay the full five years. I'm not trying to be funny here.

One thing that you have to be careful is if you have a wife/girlfriend and children. Don't mention them, even if you feel that they will wait for you and you will send them money etc. there is no need to reply or defend yourself, just a word of warning.

As for the metal plate in your cheek, I honestly don't know. It will come to light eventually. I remember when we went to ex-yougo, everyone had to have a panoramic x-ray of their teeth.

What I might suggest is that you turn up with medical records (translated into French) and an x-ray of your cheek. You may have to weigh up whether it will be cheaper to have them done in Venezuela then in France.
Hi, thanks for replying! Hadn’t really thought about the fact that being Venezuelan might help because of the whole massive exodus happening over here. It’s a tough situation for everybody here in Venezuela and like I said before working for my way to a new citizenship sounds like a job I can cover with gratitude and passion. Might even do it for longer than 5 years depending on how it goes. No wife and no kids, so no hassle there. The only thing really troubling me is the injury which like I said before doesn’t impair me but it is a noticeable scar once my head is shaved. I’ll take your advice to have an ex-ray made to show once I join. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
From what I can see, as mentioned by Joseph, at least you have a very good story to tell about the reasons you want to join and the fact you'll be seen as somebody who will really be commited to serving (at least) 5 years. The scar however will draw attention. You'll be probably required to have an X-Ray and the metal plate in your head will unfortunately be a real hindrance, if not an immediate showstopper... Anyway... First thing first, the primary obstacles for you will be to get the money for the travel and the visa to enter France. If you can get those, then why not try your luck? Make sure in the interim to achieve a good physical condition. It would be stupid to overcome the first two obstacles and then be rejected after 3 mn because you can't do the 7 pull-ups required...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Pecorffl. Metal plate in your body could be a problem even if you don't have any trouble with that injury. I heard about people being rejected because metals in body, but no one can't tell you for sure until you go there.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Sorry Snafu old buddy, I was writing and didn't see you had posted.
No stress Joe!

Pecorffl, I think it would also be wise to not mention any political affiliations, especially in the current political climate of Venezuela, best answer is that you have none!:)

For your metal plate, the Medical Board might ask you for a recent X-ray and if you can't supply one will send you at your own charge to get one at a local hospital. Since it's a head injury they might require a CT scan. So you will have to take a few extra Euros with you in case. A doctors letter preferably translated into French stating you are all good would probably also help.

What time frame are you looking at going?

Reaction score
Home Country
Venezuela
From what I can see, as mentioned by Joseph, at least you have a very good story to tell about the reasons you want to join and the fact you'll be seen as somebody who will really be commited to serving (at least) 5 years. The scar however will draw attention. You'll be probably required to have an X-Ray and the metal plate in your head will unfortunately be a real hindrance, if not an immediate showstopper... Anyway... First thing first, the primary obstacles for you will be to get the money for the travel and the visa to enter France. If you can get those, then why not try your luck? Make sure in the interim to achieve a good physical condition. It would be stupid to overcome the first two obstacles and then be rejected after 3 mn because you can't do the 7 pull-ups required...
Hi!! Thanks for answering me. I’ll try to be as transparent as possible with the injury. I’m positive towards any answer I might get from the Legion about it. Hopefully I can work my way around it. As of visa, up to now the Venezuelan passport doesn’t require a visa to enter France, don’t know for how much longer but it still is a good passport to have. I’m pretty fit guy, I exercise on a regular basis. Thanks again for your advice.

Reaction score
Home Country
Venezuela
Hi Pecorffl. Metal plate in your body could be a problem even if you don't have any trouble with that injury. I heard about people being rejected because metals in body, but no one can't tell you for sure until you go there.
Yeah, I figured it might be a hiccup. Hopefully I might still stand a chance on the count that I’m willing to put myself through anything for the right cause. At least now I know the only way to find out is by joining the process and hoping for the best outcome. Thanks!

No stress Joe!

Pecorffl, I think it would also be wise to not mention any political affiliations, especially in the current political climate of Venezuela, best answer is that you have none!:)

For your metal plate, the Medical Board might ask you for a recent X-ray and if you can't supply one will send you at your own charge to get one at a local hospital. Since it's a head injury they might require a CT scan. So you will have to take a few extra Euros with you in case. A doctors letter preferably translated into French stating you are all good would probably also help.

What time frame are you looking at going?
Hello!! I think the feeling attached to a political affiliation here in Venezuela has been lost by many Venezuelans on a count of a failed government. My political stand point is that Venezuela needs to return to a democracy, from which ever party it comes from, just a return of a good way of life for the people where their voices might get heard. Anyways, good to think about, doubt it will happen anytime soon. Good to know about what info to take for show on the injury, I’ll try to have everything before I make my way up there. I’m planning to join up around the end of September.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Practice and try to learn at least some elementary French before you go! It will only be of benefit. Bonne Chance!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) As of visa, up to now the Venezuelan passport doesn’t require a visa to enter France, don’t know for how much longer but it still is a good passport to have.
Yes , you're right, Venezuelan citizens don't need a visa to enter France for so-called ‘short-stays’ (less than 90 days). One less thing to worry about. That's much enough time for the selection process and you'll get even some time left to do some tourism in France if unfortunately you're rejected. Just need the money for the plane ticket.
Re your political views, you don't have to tell them if you liked or disliked Chavéz, like or dislike Maduro. Just tell them the situation in Venezuela is sh:t (which has become by now common knowledge, unfortunately) and you want to start a new life. Again, this is a pretty good story to tell and something easily verifiable. It will support the idea that you have nothing to regret left behind you and are more prone to do the 5 years (or more). Speaking basic French and being in good physical condition are positive points. Work on your pluses and hope they will outweigh the issue with the plate in your head. Mucha
suerte compadre...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Percoffi,

Welcome to the forum. Your age can be an advantage and a handicap. With age comes maturity and if you are in a good physical condition you will be more robust than the youngsters. Your endurance level will be of a higher level.. The disadvantage is that during training you will be at the whim of young junior NCOs' of various quality. You will be at the bottom of the food chain. Hence you must demonstrate real commitment. and accept all menial tasks with equanimity.

At interview keep personal information to the minimum and only that which is verifiable since your composure will be under observation.

Bonne chance et bienvenu.

Chas. Defiant a la Mort. !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

There is no life in Venezuela, it's horrible and the stories we read here are of pure starvation and it would take a truck load of currency to equal a couple of Euros or US Dollars.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There is no life in Venezuela, it's horrible and the stories we read here are of pure starvation and it would take a truck load of currency to equal a couple of Euros or US Dollars.
Yep, but they still need to break our record. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation#/media/File:500000000000_dinars.jpg

I'm already seeing future events in Venezuela. Some power (humm, who could it be..?) will come in or install a puppet government and solve their crisis with a small fee for about whole of Venezuelan oil reserves which are, by the way, the largest in the world.