a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL VO2 CHALLENGE

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well for this test you definitively need heart rate monitor..

Do you have an iPhone or a smart phone? Do you have a timer? If you have a smart phone, download a heart rate monitor app, use it after your run. If you don't have a smart phone. Find a timer or any clock, wait for a mark like 0, 15, 30, 45, to come along. Hold your wrist for 15 seconds and count the number of times you feel a beat, for example, mine was I think 17 resting and then take that and multiply it by 4. For me that is 68, so my resting heart rate is 68. Now do this process again after your runs.

legionar1989

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Do you have an iPhone or a smart phone? Do you have a timer? If you have a smart phone, download a heart rate monitor app, use it after your run. If you don't have a smart phone. Find a timer or any clock, wait for a mark like 0, 15, 30, 45, to come along. Hold your wrist for 15 seconds and count the number of times you feel a beat, for example, mine was I think 17 resting and then take that and multiply it by 4. For me that is 68, so my resting heart rate is 68. Now do this process again after your runs.

This text says that heart rate should not exceed 180 BPM, and how can I know what is my BPM while I'm running?
For example I can run 1mile in 6minutes or under, but have no idea what is my heart rate. I hope you understand what I mean....

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
NO!!!, you get your heart rate from the carotid artery on the neck.Count ever beat you feel, while looking at a watch for 15 seconds. I understand, just do this and you will get the right heart rate :) I hope I have helped all:)

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This text says that heart rate should not exceed 180 BPM, and how can I know what is my BPM while I'm running?
For example I can run 1mile in 6minutes or under, but have no idea what is my heart rate. I hope you understand what I mean....

You are supposed to jog, so that your mile time is at least 8 minutes or higher. You're not supposed to go full speed. Then after, you take your bpm from your cartoid artery, not while you are running. Immediately after you stop.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes, thank you troub, yes, that is the intention. You are NOT supposed to go full speed, just give it your best. This is NOT a tempo run, but that is completely different altogether anyhow. Do the heart rate AFTER.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So this is how I weighed in, note you'll see 3 different results. I took my heartrate with my finger on my cartoid artery and had a timer at 15 seconds and I got 128 beats per minute, then I used an iPhone app to measure my heart rate, but I used it earlier and this thing was reading me at a resting rate of 61 to 80, so it was inaccurate best. The 30 result is the middle of the two. Additionally, I have no access to a scale so I am going off my last known weight measurement. Which was taken a few months ago before I started working out, so likely I've either lost a few pounds or gained some from muscle. Hard to tell, but I am going to go with it. My maths is below.

Weight - 195 x .07 = 13.65

100.5 - 13.65 = 86.85

86.85 + 8.34 = 95.19

Run Time 8:35 - 8 + (35 / 60 ) = 8.583 x 1.44 = 12.36

95.19 - 12.36 = 82.83

Heart rates as already stated.

152 x .19 = 28.88
142 x .19 = 26.98
128 x .19 = 24.32

With a heartrate of 152 I come in at : 53.95 or Excellent
With a heartrate of 142 I come in at : 55.85 or near the top of Excellent.
With a heartrate of 128 I come in at : 58.51 or Superior.

All in all I am going to take the worst result for heartrate. I would rather go off the worst rating because then I have more to improve, if I am going off my best rating then I have less to improve. Still have a lot of work to do on my running game, but I am working at it and chipping away each day. Gonna try and find a scale to weigh myself this weekend to get more accurate results and will probably take the test again tomorrow and Saturday as well because I might of fudged up a bit, I lost the time and realized it was 8 miles as I was rounding onto my street with like .25 miles left to go so I straight sprinted the last part, probably dumb as it definitely raised my heart-rtae, so I want to do it again and pay more attention to the time. Then I'll probably take it a month from now to see if I have improved.

Edit : Looks like I had messed up my equation, thank you to Legionar1989 for proving I am an idiot, hah! Updated the scores and looks like I actually did much better than I had though I did.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok, that is good, whatever your age is.. PM me for a program, like I mentioned, txt, too..We can adjust your program, easily, if you wish. Depending on how dedicated you are, we can easily shred 15 lbs off, with an 8 week program. Very easy and doable. Do not test again tomorrow, this will interfere, its an ATP thing and entirely out of the scope of what we are talking here. Test on Sat, instead. Hydrate, 128 ouncesof water(one gallon) raw fruit and veggi for natural glycogen. You want your insulin regulated, because the ATP will take over, while running.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Guys, I am getting to all the PM's, please be patient. I have a lot in the box and many questions to provide answers and also programs, should we need to develop them. So far, the ones I have answered are very realistic and can happen in 8-12 weeks time, if the work is truly put in. Hang tight, I will get to all the PM. Thank you.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok, that is good, whatever your age is.. PM me for a program, like I mentioned, txt, too..We can adjust your program, easily, if you wish. Depending on how dedicated you are, we can easily shred 15 lbs off, with an 8 week program. Very easy and doable. Do not test again tomorrow, this will interfere, its an ATP thing and entirely out of the scope of what we are talking here. Test on Sat, instead. Hydrate, 128 ouncesof water(one gallon) raw fruit and veggi for natural glycogen. You want your insulin regulated, because the ATP will take over, while running.

I'll send you a text in a little bit. I already drink 3L of water a day, so I should be good on that front. I'll avoid testing tomorrow. I am 100% dedicated. I still work 40 hours a week, so outside of that though I have all the time in the world.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
I applaud your efforts in helping others in their fitness assessments and programs...but I believe you need to be a bit more specific and accurate in your posts.

1) the testing is for relative VO2 MAX which is a value, not VO2 (don't know how to do the V-dot) which is a rate
2) the formula gives an ESTIMATION of a person's VO2 MAX...especially since it's HR dependent; also sub-max tests tend to give more variable results
3) HR monitoring apps on telephones are not accurate...too much variability and low reliability
4) ATP is the basic energy "unit"...it can come from sugars, lipid, and protein...what does it have to do with insulin directly?
5) are you aware of the recent published research regarding hydration status and peak physical performance?

All the scientific mumble-jumble above aside...for most people, a good mindset + a decent training program + proper nutrition will result in pretty decent improvement especially in the short-term. So merci for the contribution to the community.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you A1B2, yes I am aware, very in fact. ATp, which I see you are aware of is imperative, as you know. Insulin, AKA glycogen, aka SUGAR. So yes, I understand what you are saying here. I am actually following what gatorrojo spoke to me of, keep it simple, Heck, I could get way more scientif if i like, but I wont because i would have more on here calling my degree scientific mumbo jumbo. Thank you, really. I am not taking any of this to heart, at all. i know I have a degree in this field and i know I worked hard for two years straight with NO time off, pursuing this degree. Mindset is a plus, YES. Training, yes, too. Nutrition as well. Thnak you lastly and once more, I have a soft skin these days, not HARD. Hard is brittle..

legionar1989

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Weight - 195 x .07 = 13.65

100.5 - 13.65 = 86.85

86.85 + 8.34 = 95.19

Run Time 8:35 - 8 + (35 / 60 ) = 8.583 x 1.44 = 12.36

86.85 - 12.36 = 74.49

Heart rates as already stated.

152 x .19 = 28.88
142 x .19 = 26.98
128 x .19 = 24.32

With a heartrate of 152 I come in at : 45.61 or at the top of Fair, almost Good.
With a heartrate of 142 I come in at : 47.51 or in the middle of Good.
With a heartrate of 128 I come in at : 50.17 or near the top of Good, almost Excellent.

Well my friend I have to inform you that your math is Wrong and that with 152 your result is 53.95.

You subtracted 86.85 - 12.36 = 74.49, and you should have done this --> 95.19 - 12.36 = 82.83

So if you have these time and BPM results you are in excellent level. ;)

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Well done for all the hard work putting this together it gave me a sore head reading it, not wanting to start any arguments or get a snide reply but... I fear prople wanting to go are worrying to much about this stuff just get running everyday guys and pull ups when you have spare time throughout the day, then every other day practice a beep test and you should be fine.

Again not knocking any effort put into this ðŸ‘￾.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well my friend I have to inform you that your math is Wrong and that with 152 your result is 53.95.

You subtracted 86.85 - 12.36 = 74.49, and you should have done this --> 95.19 - 12.36 = 82.83

So if you have these time and BPM results you are in excellent level. ;)

Oh man, you're right. I completely missed that, it's why I included my whole equation, I was pretty sure I had messed up somewhere. Let me and go and fix that. Thanks for catching that ya eagle eye mofo over here. ;)

Welp, good to know I landed at excellent, but still gonna work like I only made fair. ;)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I understand Guido, But you cannot train to do a beep test every day by doing that, that is the entire point. I do understand tho and I hope t woks for everyone here in one way or another. Science doesn't lie and the information is accurate and I hope that you all do your very best and well in the training you do for yourselves, even if some still think Stoegn is god, that is fine and please keep it to yourself, God knows( Stoegn) that the approach taken then worked and it can now, too. The only difference is in the 21 centurywe have accurate and specific measurable information that is not surpassed, unless you are god. Until them, gods program WILL WORK FOR ANYONE AND THATS A FACT so no one here start on in about Stoegns program, I just said it, IT WILL WORK FOR ANYONE WHO DOESNT WANT TO GO THROUGH THE MATH AND TIME IT TAKES TO TRULY SEE HOW HARD OR BRITTLE THEY ARE. Goodluck and all you, YOU,If you stay ready, you never have to get ready. Maybe that is why Stoegns worked so well, HE STAYED READY!!!!! NICELY DONE GOD ;)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Its also worth bearing in mind that there will be successful Legion applicants who do not have the luxury of computers , just the knowledge that they need to be fit and self disciplined , no internet forums for Q&As , my point is I dont believe that doing your own dodgy VO2 test will improve your odds, if you are putting full effort into running, situps , chins and all other gym work you cant do anymore on the physical side. Ive got friends whove gone into the British Army as Infanteer`s and there only training was down the pub and working on a building site, what got them through was there desire to be a Soldier. I dont know about the Legion but the British forces will get you into the shape they want . Just being in good health can be enough at the beginning.
For those who dont get the formulas here (includiing the OP!) dont worry about it ,crack on with the practical.