a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The French connection

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The thought has occurred to me; am I coming to the legion for help, or am I coming to help the legion? It is a paradox, without being a conundrum. There is unity in the duality, for both statements are equally true, despite the apparent contradiction. I remember the scent of the Eldest Daughter of the Church, like a memory that the ocean of time cannot erase. The air of her being penetrated the very marrow of my existence.maurizio-calì.jpg

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Galgano,
I wouldn't worry to much. If you try and get selected, you will have to much on your hands just to keep the pace on training and on everyday chores.
However, gestapo might have blast on the eventual interview.
Have you ever considered becoming a monk, or joining church in some way? That would be a life of service that includes contemplation on meaning of life
and paths we/you chose on everyday basis.

All the best!
Stay safe.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Galgano,
I wouldn't worry to much. If you try and get selected, you will have to much on your hands just to keep the pace on training and on everyday chores.
However, gestapo might have blast on the eventual interview.
Have you ever considered becoming a monk, or joining church in some way? That would be a life of service that includes contemplation on meaning of life
and paths we/you chose on everyday basis.

All the best!
Stay safe.
Hi Perun,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. As a younger man I spent a good deal of my time living in Catholic and Orthodox monestaries, while pilgrimaging around Europe's Holy Shrines. It's a beautiful way of life, but not what I want at the moment. Right now I want to do reconnaissance and be trained as a scout/sniper. I want mountain, jungle, and ocean training. Maybe after 11 or 12 years in the Legion, I will revisit the possibility of becoming a monk, but I see my own calling to serve God within the Legion. As the Chatechism states, peace is not merely the absence of war, and again, Heaven is a state of being. I truly wish to serve France as Joan of Arc did, and if my blood is spilled in the process, so be it.

Warmest regards

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Galgano,

I would leave out anything that might attain be connected to religion when you are in Aubagne, especially while you are being interviewed. Just keep it all to yourself unless you are specifically asked, then give brief specific answers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Galgano,

I would leave out anything that might attain to religion when you are in Aubagne, especially while you are being interviewed. Just keep it all to yourself unless you are specifically asked, then give brief specific answers.
Your advice is well recieved. I have been watching your videos. How can I best prepare myself for aubagne? I really only have one shot at this. I can study the IQ test, I can become an animal of physical fitness, I can improve my language skills, I can do everything right, but what can prepare me for the actuality of enlistment into the legion? I heard what you said about being grey, and silent. How to become a shadow, that goes unnotoced? I came to this forum to begin my journey towards the legion. I want Saint Cyr in my life. I want reconnaissance. I want the Legion way of life.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
..and what if you need to pull the trigger? Once you've passed training ...etc.. then entered a regiment..more training etc.. you can consider yourself a dead man walking. You've made a bargain where you may..ahem..will follow orders which may possibly get you killed...or worse, injured in a nasty way. Just "be prepared" as the old scout saying goes.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Your advice is well recieved. I have been watching your videos. How can I best prepare myself for aubagne? I really only have one shot at this. I can study the IQ test, I can become an animal of physical fitness, I can improve my language skills, I can do everything right, but what can prepare me for the actuality of enlistment into the legion? I heard what you said about being grey, and silent. How to become a shadow, that goes unnotoced? I came to this forum to begin my journey towards the legion. I want Saint Cyr in my life. I want reconnaissance. I want the Legion way of life.
Watching my videos? I haven't seen any questions from you in the comments.
But that is a different matter. Let's get back to your dilemma.

Do you know what St Cyr is?
Join at Aubagne and make sure that you have enough money on you to get back home ... just in case.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Watching my videos? I haven't seen any questions from you in the comments.
But that is a different matter. Let's get back to your dilemma.

Do you know what St Cyr is?
Join at Aubagne and make sure that you have enough money on you to get back home ... just in
St. Cyr is a military academy founded by Napolean Bonaparte located in Brittany. As for not asking questions in your videos, I apologize but didn't want to be intrusive, now that I know you want questions, I will certainly be asking. I will certainly make sure I have enough money to get back if things don't work out.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
..and what if you need to pull the trigger? Once you've passed training ...etc.. then entered a regiment..more training etc.. you can consider yourself a dead man walking. You've made a bargain where you may..ahem..will follow orders which may possibly get you killed...or worse, injured in a nasty way. Just "be prepared" as the old scout saying goes

..and what if you need to pull the trigger? Once you've passed training ...etc.. then entered a regiment..more training etc.. you can consider yourself a dead man walking. You've made a bargain where you may..ahem..will follow orders which may possibly get you killed...or worse, injured in a nasty way. Just "be prepared" as the old scout saying goes.
There are consequences to and for everything we do in life I guess. I, Thank God survived the boston marathon bombing. There have been 3 shootings in my neighborhood in the last month. I could just as easily get shot walking down the street, or blown up for that matter.. Having said that, I hear what your saying, though. The legionares on this forum live or have lived the reality of the legion, for me at this point it is a fantasy. Something I have much to learn about. There is a lot of f@cked up sh$t in life, and things, I think, are more grey than black and white, but we'll see. One day at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
St. Cyr is a military academy founded by Napolean Bonaparte located in Brittany. As for not asking questions in your videos, I apologize but didn't want to be intrusive, now that I know you want questions, I will certainly be asking. I will certainly make sure I have enough money to get back if things don't work out.
So if you've done your homework then you'll know that there is NO way that you will be getting anywhere near there.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Don't crush my dreams, sir. Is not anything possible in the Legion? However you are correct. The first step is enlisting and basic training. Then comes vanquishing.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
Well it's true, those who come through the ranks, whether legion or regular do not go through St Cyr.
Which according to Wikipedia (which means this information is so very easy to find),
The Combined Arms School or Joint military school, known as École Militaire Interarmes or EMIA, is a military school of the French Army intended to train officers who have risen from the ranks.
This is some half-buttocks research from OP if I have seen half-buttocks research before.