a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

The Combat Footage Thread

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Hello everybody,

it has been a while since I thought about this, and since my little project got green lighted today by Joe Cos, here it comes!

My interest into the military extends of course into combat situations, and over time I have watched a lot of footage of various outfits clashing in firefights, artillery strikes etc. I would find interesting to share opinions and ask questions to those in here that have found themselves in such situations before, and I wouldn't mind sharing videos also. So as far as I understand, as long as the content is properly disclaimed, we can post anything we want.

DISCLAIMER: people gets hurt very very bad in both videos, if that's not your jam, maybe avoid watching them!

So to start things off, these are my 2 picks (both videos are from funkers530):

https://funker530.com/video/russian-proxy-assault-team-chewed-up-in-ukrainian-crossfire/

In this video an infantry unit of russian proxies seems to be pushing through an ukranian check-point. It is unclear from the context provided what the goal of the operation was, but it seems quite evident that they did not expect so much resistance and eventually got themselves into a pretty nasty light gun crossfire from both sides of the road. Many casualties can be seen along the video. Despite the evident defeat I found such an action very bold from the proxies and I admired their courage. Two details got me thinking: the first one is that they all seem pretty silent, there are no orders given at any point, and also the men that got hit don't make a single sound, which is different from what I have witnessed in other videos. Also, only after they made it up a hundred meters or so and are stopped by the enemies fire, a tank shows up and disappears up the road. Why didn't they just break the check point behind the tank in the first place? I'd be super interested in hearing thoughts from the personnel that has seen active combat in this forum.

https://funker530.com/video/russian...ground-assault-get-crushed-by-ukrainian-tank/

In this video what seems like a platoon of russian proxies attempts an open field attack with BTRs and dismounted infantry that gets to a grime end when an ukranian tank shows up and does its job. Despite the boldness of the action the subtitles provided give a glimpse of the confusion and lack of preparation that characterize this action. At the beginning of the video the cameramen (that sounds like the commander, I might be wrong on this) notes that they missed the objective by a couple of kilometers. How uncommon are situations like this? And what kind of strategical gains can derive from such an open field attack via infantry and light cavalry?

Really looking forward to hear your thoughts gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hello everybody,

it has been a while since I thought about this, and since my little project got green lighted today by Joe Cos, here it comes!

My interest into the military extends of course into combat situations, and over time I have watched a lot of footage of various outfits clashing in firefights, artillery strikes etc. I would find interesting to share opinions and ask questions to those in here that have found themselves in such situations before, and I wouldn't mind sharing videos also. So as far as I understand, as long as the content is properly disclaimed, we can post anything we want.

DISCLAIMER: people gets hurt very very bad in both videos, if that's not your jam, maybe avoid watching them!

So to start things off, these are my 2 picks (both videos are from funkers530):

https://funker530.com/video/russian-proxy-assault-team-chewed-up-in-ukrainian-crossfire/

In this video an infantry unit of russian proxies seems to be pushing through an ukranian check-point. It is unclear from the context provided what the goal of the operation was, but it seems quite evident that they did not expect so much resistance and eventually got themselves into a pretty nasty light gun crossfire from both sides of the road. Many casualties can be seen along the video. Despite the evident defeat I found such an action very bold from the proxies and I admired their courage. Two details got me thinking: the first one is that they all seem pretty silent, there are no orders given at any point, and also the men that got hit don't make a single sound, which is different from what I have witnessed in other videos. Also, only after they made it up a hundred meters or so and are stopped by the enemies fire, a tank shows up and disappears up the road. Why didn't they just break the check point behind the tank in the first place? I'd be super interested in hearing thoughts from the personnel that has seen active combat in this forum.

https://funker530.com/video/russian...ground-assault-get-crushed-by-ukrainian-tank/

In this video what seems like a platoon of russian proxies attempts an open field attack with BTRs and dismounted infantry that gets to a grime end when an ukranian tank shows up and does its job. Despite the boldness of the action the subtitles provided give a glimpse of the confusion and lack of preparation that characterize this action. At the beginning of the video the cameramen (that sounds like the commander, I might be wrong on this) notes that they missed the objective by a couple of kilometers. How uncommon are situations like this? And what kind of strategical gains can derive from such an open field attack via infantry and light cavalry?

Really looking forward to hear your thoughts gentlemen.
Ciao Fabrizio, so I read your post and watched the two videos my friend, wow, look I don't know where to start. I have no idea of the mission objective of either of the videos and clearly neither did the op Commander. The troops are reserve or civilian militia as the Russian Army does not operate in such a fashion, sadly for NATO.

The first video the Russians found themselves on a MSR and chose for some reason to use it?. Without armour or air I have no idea why they would do that so close to the Ukrainian front line. Complete mystery. It was a check point they tried to assault the description said? so why they are walking single file up the main MSR with out cover in day light is a mystery to me. I can only put this down to pure idiocy, poor leadership or it was not a check point and this was a Russian MSR that the Ukrainians had setup an ambush?.

Its the only explanation that makes sense to me. When the contact initiated they continued to plod up the tarmac without any command leadership not even an NCO screaming commands of direction of contact, not one of the initial platoon went prone and rolled off into cover, not even concealment....wow. In 90% of what I witnessed, its pure madness.

Then the tank and truck decided to take a ride into the lions den. No triage station, no attempt to recover during the contact no push to contact to take the fight to them. When you are caught in this type of ambush its a very hard thing to get out of if you are pinned down on both sides and no where to run. You have to take the fight to them or run the risk of sprinting down the same bullet magnet alley you just came from, to my surprise they did just that, leaving bodies all over the shop. Such a ridiculous waste of young life, it seemed to me they thought it was a game or something. They video cameras rolling, lol. Crazy.

The second video, again, zero intel, no leadership the Officer had no idea where he was let alone comms with the other APC, then the tank turns up and the boys think the best place to conjugate is next to one of their own bullet magnets. The smartest kids in that second flick was the ones who took concealment and hit the deck the moment the PKMs opened up. Both op's clearly had terrible intel, terrible command structures, terrible SOPs and battle drill and no comms to speak of. I am blown away by it bro. The lazy Officer shouting at his men to pick up the poor sod with claret all over his BDU and half his chin missing is the biggest clown of all. You don't set the example by blathering on about how bad you just screwed that up, you get on with the job and bring you boys back to safety asap, treat and triage the injured and most important of all, you lead from the front. He should have had that boy on his own bloody back rather than having is clearly battle drained boy drag the poor guy across a muddy field whilst his chums burn alive in the APC he was just in. Just terrible terrible leadership and op management.

Thats my tuppence bro. Ill leave the other oaks to submit their views.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
When you fight for a belief, you need no air support or any other kind of gadgets....you go, you, die you survive, you win, you loose...ask the Tabs, (talibans...or the Viet?)
So Chef, you think this was smart soldiering? this was the dumbest display of an advance I have ever seen in a long time. You don't take the main MSR and assault a heavily defended position in day light against a professional NATO/EU trained force with ground troops in single file up a bottle neck without armour or air.

This is not the terrs or Terry having a crack at a remote FOB with two hundred men on their turf with rock and cave cover, what I saw in the video is not belief that is stupidity and all those boys laying slotted on the floor with their chins blown off are dead for nothing, not one inch of gain was made. As a militia they don't have air I am guessing but they had armour, right there in the video.

As for the idiot that led his men and two APCs across an open field into a defended intrenched security force with heavy armour......... well that again is s%^t leadership and poor command skills, the prat did not have a clue where he was.

I know what you are saying when you mentioned the Taliban and Viet Cong, their fanaticism won out against the bigger, stronger force but these lads are backed by Russia on one side and NATO/EU unofficially on the other. This is not a caliphate nor a Holy War, it's geopolitical Cold War via proxy. The purest example since the bay of pigs and if the pro Russian militias want to stand a chance they had better do a better job than this.

Its a fascinating post by Fabrizio. Gets the conversation going. Cheers Chef.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Ciao Fabrizio, so I read your post and watched the two videos my friend, wow, look I don't know where to start. I have no idea of the mission objective of either of the videos and clearly neither did the op Commander. The troops are reserve or civilian militia as the Russian Army does not operate in such a fashion, sadly for NATO.

The first video the Russians found themselves on a MSR and chose for some reason to use it?. Without armour or air I have no idea why they would do that so close to the Ukrainian front line. Complete mystery. It was a check point they tried to assault the description said? so why they are walking single file up the main MSR with out cover in day light is a mystery to me. I can only put this down to pure idiocy, poor leadership or it was not a check point and this was a Russian MSR that the Ukrainians had setup an ambush?.

Its the only explanation that makes sense to me. When the contact initiated they continued to plod up the tarmac without any command leadership not even an NCO screaming commands of direction of contact, not one of the initial platoon went prone and rolled off into cover, not even concealment....wow. In 90% of what I witnessed, its pure madness.

Then the tank and truck decided to take a ride into the lions den. No triage station, no attempt to recover during the contact no push to contact to take the fight to them. When you are caught in this type of ambush its a very hard thing to get out of if you are pinned down on both sides and no where to run. You have to take the fight to them or run the risk of sprinting down the same bullet magnet alley you just came from, to my surprise they did just that, leaving bodies all over the shop. Such a ridiculous waste of young life, it seemed to me they thought it was a game or something. They video cameras rolling, lol. Crazy.

The second video, again, zero intel, no leadership the Officer had no idea where he was let alone comms with the other APC, then the tank turns up and the boys think the best place to conjugate is next to one of their own bullet magnets. The smartest kids in that second flick was the ones who took concealment and hit the deck the moment the PKMs opened up. Both op's clearly had terrible intel, terrible command structures, terrible SOPs and battle drill and no comms to speak of. I am blown away by it bro. The lazy Officer shouting at his men to pick up the poor sod with claret all over his BDU and half his chin missing is the biggest clown of all. You don't set the example by blathering on about how bad you just screwed that up, you get on with the job and bring you boys back to safety asap, treat and triage the injured and most important of all, you lead from the front. He should have had that boy on his own bloody back rather than having is clearly battle drained boy drag the poor guy across a muddy field whilst his chums burn alive in the APC he was just in. Just terrible terrible leadership and op management.

Thats my tuppence bro. Ill leave the other oaks to submit their views.

Hi Brian, thanks for your detailed reply, your ansewrs are a pleasure to read as always. What you say makes total sense, the lack of leadership and of proper planning are evident in the second video, in the first one the little context provided in the description made it hard for an inexperienced person like me to judge, but after watching it again now I can clearly see it as well, those soldiers are completely lost, it does look more like an ambush also because as you rightly point out the armored vehicle come in a second moment. Very sad to think about those who lost their lives. But as L.P.C. mentions in his post, I guess when you are fighting for an ideal like nationalists I assume do you have but little choice to go with what you have, poor equipment and shitty leaders. I thought that the russian proxies could be veterans of the georgian war or chechnya, but indeed I read that those units are mostly composed by national militians. I watched a couple of documentaries about the conflict from the ukrainian side, it impressed me a lot to see how little the ukranian army has, how hard was to organize a defensive line for them and the effort they've put in fighting. It made me feel bad to think that a country like Ukraine, that was supposed to join the NATO and EU was left alone to fight what technically speaking is an invasion. I don't like to take political stances because at the end in a conflict both sides always believe to be in the right. It would be amazing if the world was like in Tolkien's book, you'd always know which is the evil side and therefore where to stand, but in the real world it is seldom like that.

I will look for more interesting footage, there is something interesting out also featuring units from the FFL, I will share only videos with interesting angles to be discussed!

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hi Brian, thanks for your detailed reply, your ansewrs are a pleasure to read as always. What you say makes total sense, the lack of leadership and of proper planning are evident in the second video, in the first one the little context provided in the description made it hard for an inexperienced person like me to judge, but after watching it again now I can clearly see it as well, those soldiers are completely lost, it does look more like an ambush also because as you rightly point out the armored vehicle come in a second moment. Very sad to think about those who lost their lives. But as L.P.C. mentions in his post, I guess when you are fighting for an ideal like nationalists I assume do you have but little choice to go with what you have, poor equipment and shitty leaders. I thought that the russian proxies could be veterans of the georgian war or chechnya, but indeed I read that those units are mostly composed by national militians. I watched a couple of documentaries about the conflict from the ukrainian side, it impressed me a lot to see how little the ukranian army has, how hard was to organize a defensive line for them and the effort they've put in fighting. It made me feel bad to think that a country like Ukraine, that was supposed to join the NATO and EU was left alone to fight what technically speaking is an invasion. I don't like to take political stances because at the end in a conflict both sides always believe to be in the right. It would be amazing if the world was like in Tolkien's book, you'd always know which is the evil side and therefore where to stand, but in the real world it is seldom like that.

I will look for more interesting footage, there is something interesting out also featuring units from the FFL, I will share only videos with interesting angles to be discussed!
Great stuff Fabrizio, those lads did not know their A-hole from their elbow, the one kid nearly slotted his friend in the back of the head as he ran down the road blasting trees left and right, I could tell right away the boys had no experience, defo not Chechnya, just all over the place. The real kicker was the four who got the sharp end of the PKM at the concrete road block 100 yards from their target, just brutal, that tracer that ripped that kid apart..... grim for those lads. What the Chef was saying is correct, you do the best you have with what you got but in those situations you have to box clever otherwise you are doomed to fail.

Any how, interesting topic Fabrizio. Good post as always.

Ciao B.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Bonjour a tous!

To keep things going on this thread I've chosen to step up a notch or two the quality, this time with videos featuring paratroopers from Portugal and Italy in action in Central African Republic and Afghanistan, respectively.

In this video the Portuguese paras raid a camp of terrorists somewhere in the open. A first reconnaissance via drone is followed by fire from the mortar squad while at least two armored vehicles transporting troops approach from the sides. Once dismounted the troopers attack and neutralize the terrorists after a brief firefight in the bush. Good level of aggressivity displayed by the soldiers here.

In this video paratroopers from the Brigata Folgore are ambushed by the talibans while proceeding in a convoy together wit US and Afghan personnel. This immediately prompts an automatic reaction, and in the firefight that follows heavy machine gun and anti-tank missiles are used against them. At one point in the video an RPG that explodes a few meters from the guy that makes the video can be clearly seen. Finally the Italian troopers perform a manoeuvre in which they offer themselves as baits and allow the US and Afghan vehicles to disengage. No casualties were recorded on that day.