a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahiti and the FFL

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In certain threads and some online reminisces of anciens, some have mentioned Tahiti. Is there an FFL unit garrisoned there? Or maybe a TDY rotational unit? Seems like it would be a great reward assignment incentive to get someone to re-up, or possibly as one's sunset tour destination. And what a place for an alternative FFL Retirement Home!

Can any current legionnaires/ancien go more into detail on what the Legion does there? Anyone ever go there in your legionnaire capacity, if so, how was the experience pray tell?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Stoutboy, I spent 18 months on an atoll called Hao, which means harp in Tahitian and was discovered by the French Navigator Bougainville. The Legion were there to build roads and aerodromes for the islanders. They pulled out in 2000 or 2001, I'm not sure. I can tell you now it was not much of a holiday, a long way away from the picture postcards.
There is now a recruiting center on Tahiti itself. Also when it was 5RE there was a vacation centre where you could go for R&R every 3 months.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Stoutboy, I spent 18 months on an atoll called Hao, which means harp in Tahitian and was discovered by the French Navigator Bougainville. The legion were there to build roads and aerodromes for the islanders. They pulled out in 2000 or 2001, I'm not sure. I can tell you now it was not much of a holiday, a long way away from the picture postcards.

There is now a recruiting center on Tahiti itself. Also when it was 5RE there was a vacation centre where you could go for R&R every 3 months.

Fascinating. I looked up Hao. Hella tiny. 18 months there could def be some tough duty. The R&R to Tahiti was probably the only way to avoid going stir-crazy. I bet the skies at night were spectacular unless there was too much light pollution from the glows of the nuclear tests lol.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The legion was there to build a runway in case the space shuttle, whose re-entry window was in that part of the world, could not make to the US. Needless to say it's services were never required for that particular purpose.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The legion was there to build a runway in case the space shuttle, whose re-entry window was in that part of the world, could not make to the US. Needless to say it's services were never required for that particular purpose.

Could you do any fishing on your down time or were the fish off limits due to potential radiation poisoning? The diving/snorkelling must've been boss.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You'll find the Mururoa is miles away from Hao, a small drop in a very big ocean. As for fishing the definition of an atoll is a lagoon on one side and an ocean on the other. Because a legionnaire was snorkeling on the ocean side and never came back up, all swimming on the ocean side was forbidden. On the lagoon side the islanders saw a lemon shark so all swimming for my last 6 months was forbidden.

As for fishing, in French Polynesia they have a law which says you can only fish what you eat. The problem is that the atoll side had to be reinforced. So it was done with slabs of concrete. Although there were two passages in and out of the lagoon, there was not enough of a flow to rejuvenate the water. So the smaller fish would eat plankton on the concrete and the big fish would eat the smaller ones.

The problem is that the plankton from the concrete when digested would cause you to break out in a nasty itchy rash. So no fishing in the lagoon. The regiment had a boat which would go out on weekends but was mainly taken by officers who spent more time drinking than fishing.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You'll find the Mururoa is miles away from Hao, a small drop in a very big ocean. As for fishing the definition of an atoll is a lagoon on one side and an ocean on the other. Because a legionnaire was snorkeling on the ocean side and never came back up, all swimming on the ocean side was forbidden. On the lagoon side the islanders saw a lemon shark so all swimming for my last 6 months was forbidden.

As for fishing, in French Polynesia they have a law which says you can only fish what you eat. The problem is that the atoll side had to be reinforced. So it was done with slabs of concrete. Although there were two passages in and out of the lagoon, there was not enough of a flow to rejuvenate the water. So the smaller fish would eat plankton on the concrete and the big fish would eat the smaller ones.

The problem is that the plankton from the concrete when digested would cause you to break out in a nasty itchy rash. So no fishing in the lagoon. The regiment had a boat which would go out on weekends but was mainly taken by officers who spent more time drinking than fishing.
you have been around Joseph.. should write a book About your time in the Legion. would liked to have went to Djibouti. sure i saw a film a while back showing the Cavalry there. Yes i know i rant on About the cavalry...but would have liked it i´m sure.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
you have been around Joseph.. should write a book About your time in the Legion. would liked to have went to Djibouti. sure i saw a film a while back showing the Cavalry there. Yes i know i rant on About the cavalry...but would have liked it i´m sure.
We can tie a drainage pipe on the roof of your Picanto, then when you're driving around you can pretend your in a tank.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We can tie a drainage pipe on the roof of your Picanto, then when you're driving around you can pretend your in a tank.
F*ck sake..bro ...good thinking !:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke Paerson

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
In certain threads and some online reminisces of anciens, some have mentioned Tahiti. Is there an FFL unit garrisoned there? Or maybe a TDY rotational unit? Seems like it would be a great reward assignment incentive to get someone to re-up, or possibly as one's sunset tour destination. And what a place for an alternative FFL Retirement Home!

Can any current legionnaires/ancien go more into detail on what the Legion does there? Anyone ever go there in your legionnaire capacity, if so, how was the experience pray tell?
I was in 5e RMP in the mid seventies, I can tell you mate is was AWESOME!

Duke Paerson

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Mid 70s... Must have seen some changes in the Legion. For better or worse?
No comment on that! I know there have been changes all over the world, but I don’t know about the Legion, I left mid eighties. l hope the loony left never got a hand in running it, or the rainbow flag lot... We had an amazing life then.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Duke Paerson,

I know that you were a former RM Cdo. I also wish that you would post here more often.
Sadly there are too few Greens contributing.

Kind regards- Chas.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Duke Paerson,

I know that you were a former RM Cdo. I also wish that you would post here more often.
Sadly there are too few Greens contributing.

Kind regards- Chas.
Duke seems a good Guy exchanged a few pms with him today.. Ex Marine & 15 years Legion. Comes over very humble & friendly.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was in 5e RMP in the mid seventies, I can tell you mate is was AWESOME!
Quite right Duke up until '63 the regiment was known as 5e REI, then 5e RMP (Régiment Mixte du Pacifique) and after '84 5RE. Although it has to be pointed out that it often nicknamed Régiment du Tonkin.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think you guys lived the best times when the Legion really went to exotic places.