[Joining] Switching branches?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
After you've served you first five stretch, are you allowed to switch out to the regular army navy or air force?
It has happened, but in general no. I know of a Belgian Sgt who got a transfer, after taking French nationality, to the ALAT, which is (to simplify things) a Helicopter regment in the Armée de terre (french reguliers). Also a Sgt who joined the Gendarmes but had a high ranking father in them.

Ok, the obvious next question...

Do they have an officer programme?... Not just warrant, real, full blown, officer. Send you to school for engineering or what ever and you come back an 'O', as we say...

God! It would be glorious to fly choppers!

Let me get this right...you want to join the legion to get into an officer program to go and join the regular French military and then get into the helicopter program and gloriously fly choppers?

This begs the question...why not just join the US Army?

Also...as a side note, if you tell the selection board your dreams, they will probably kick you out. :)

You state that you bore easily and the Legion would be an interesting experiment. Believe me you will get bored with mundane tasks and if very lucky interrupted by military action. The first year will be drudgery. It is not an experiment that you should undertake.

Yep, Rodger that! Good point!

Legion is hard core. You see the vids of regular french army, it seems softer and more kindly. I think the French really are harder on the 'auslanders' of the legion...

What the hell do I know?! Nothing, that's why I pose the questions.

Thank you.

Some people have good luck in their life, you ever notice those people? I wonder how they do it sometimes... It seems my whole life I try for something and get knocked down, get up, try again. Over and over until it reaches the point of absurdity. How many times before you say f*** it?... Guess that's life tho...

Tired of living in the US. Looking for a responsible, mature way out that's all. Do some time, get a passport, and move on...

You realize that you are saying that they are too stupid or lazy to sit down and assess an individuals greatest strengths and weaknesses.... That is what good leaders do...

I read the thread about the guy that went UA, deserter, over getting a job in construction was it? And not infantry??
I would have taken it and done my very best for them. Love building! Love the heavies!

Maybe I am too much the 'dreamer'. Thank you for that slap in the face.

There is something about the ego and proving that one is tough enough, etc. Don't need to join to prove it though...

Crotalus Atrox,

I had no desire to be rude. As for 'hard core' I trained under former WWW Cdos and it was both rugged and brutal by today's standards.
Also I believe you are married to a French lady. Have you both thought about this ?
The Greens can give you a much better insight than me a mere spectator from a different era.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Crotalus Atrox,

I had no desire to be rude. As for 'hard core' I trained under former WWW Cdos and it was both rugged and brutal by today's standards.
Also I believe you are married to a French lady. Have you both thought about this ?
The Greens can give you a much better insight than me a mere spectator from a different era.
Hi Chas, I believe that his ex was French Canadian, if I remember rightly from a PM.

Crotalus Atrox, you might want to give Auroris56 a PM, he's US and ex-military, you should both be on the same wave length.

What a difference between the brit and the kiwi!

Yes my ex was French Canadian, lived there off and on. Made friends with a guy from Brittany as well. We would all go up to the blue mountains and camp out. Yannik was a super talented person, a real musician. This was back, pre 2001 when service in the French military was mandatory. Maybe that's why it looks so friendly in the videos?? They were all civilians anyway who didn't want to be there, hahaha...

Going hiking and camping now, IRL. Thanks for the advice all.

What was the score of the Barcelona v Madrid game? Isn't there an episode of East Enders you are missing?? Hahaha...

176607Mick

Unregistered

Yes my ex was French Canadian, lived there off and on. Made friends with a guy from Brittany as well. We would all go up to the blue mountains and camp out. Yannik was a super talented person, a real musician. This was back, pre 2001 when service in the French military was mandatory. Maybe that's why it looks so friendly in the videos?? They were all civilians anyway who didn't want to be there, hahaha...

What was the score of the Barcelona v Madrid game? Isn't there an episode of East Enders you are missing?? Hahaha...
What do you mean? Between the Brit and the Kiwi? You start making assumptions about people based on their nationality you my friend will have a very hard time in the legion. I live in Brittany. Where did you camp out?

Brits are from England and Kiwis are a small brown fruit :p (Kiwi is a nickname for chaps from New Zealand).

View attachment 5928

Well, let me explain. In the us mil you met people from all over the country. You memorize their likes and dislikes, what they will and won't do, in short I memorize every personality. In the legion it would be people from over 150 countries. What a study in sociology! What an absolute treat, a real honor...

Everyone needs protectors, especially when you are all alone in BFE... I have some stories.

State side, Appalachian mountains, between Virgina and West Vergina. Best price I ever played for fuel! $.78 US.

Yanniks' uncle was very high ranking, got him some really good duty...

Yes i love that fruit that grows on the vine too. I have a friend in the redwoods that grows the sweetest ones you've ever tasted.

Kiwis are named after a special flightless bird, indigenous to their own little island. It's a common mistake.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
When is your flight to France? Got your ticket yet? How's training? Did you pack yet? :D
I have hard time deciding what to dress. packed 4 suitcases and I would have to by one more. :) So many things to bring with me. I can't decide what to take and what not. :)

I have hard time deciding what to dress. packed 4 suitcases and I would have to by one more. :) So many things to bring with me. I can't decide what to take and what not. :)
You're fcuking with me right? This is getting ridiculous. You can't get your Kepi on Cervens.

Most viewed threads of the week