Stage, Vigi, and Opex pay..

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
I wanted to make a post for the "Others"..

So how your pay goes, you receive it on the 24-25th of each month. When you do a stage that is more then 30 Kilometres away from your home regiment, you get your stage pay, which is normally32-35 euros MORE to your already normal pay, PER DAY. All your stage money comes 2,TWO months after you have done it. I will make the point as to why at the end.

All your vigipirate pay comes 3, THREE months after you finish VIGI.

All your opex pay comes while on opex and the last bit of it comes at the end and after you return.

THE REASON:

It is to deter you from deserting. Why desert if you have1-5 thousand Euros coming an OVER 12k from opex.

It keeps you from deserting. But I know guys who have anyway and just didn't care to take the money.

The legion holds it for a few months, but youll get it after. AS I SAID, IT IS TO DETER YOU FROM DESERTING. You wont get any of it immediately.

What is the main reason for guys deserting, especially after something like Opex or Vigi? Isn't that exactly what guys join for?

You hear US veterans talk all the time, especially as the wars have winded down significantly, about how their deployments were actually pretty boring and uneventful. But they don't come back from these stints wanting to leave service. Or at least, the expectation remains that they will stay for the duration of their current contract.

What is it about doing this in the Legion that makes guys want to leave after?

Besides the obvious that Vigi is simply patrolling the streets of France and guys can get bored with it real quick. Because for a guy with zero military or legitimate security experience who joins the Legion, that still seems like something that could have its benefits in terms of becoming as squared away a soldier as possible. Wouldn't be any different from joining a police force and essentially doing the same thing in the city you work in. But still, doesn't seem like a reason to desert. Just something you have to do when your regular rotation comes up.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
First off, you have to be in and see the legion for what it REALLY IS. As for vigi, Mine was really awesome and very eventful. It isn't as you said "Simply patrolling the street of France".

I did mine in Marseille all summer 2017. We found on dead junkie beside a car just behind the credit agricole right next to Castellane (Or how ever you spell that). Got in two Car accidents. One on the very first day, when a moron Cpl driving ran into a mophead vespa and shut the road down for three hours. The second time was on Prado Blvd, While the SAME moron, with a Sgt. in the car too, Rear ended the vigi car van thing we drove in, right in front of the giant market on busy Prado Blvd. He was trying to race back to the 3rd division so he could have his precious sieste.

Ended up rear ending the Completely stopped vehicle at the red light, while we were going 50 or more down the Blvd. He went to jail for 40 days after vigi, for that one.

Then, my group did Security for Celine Dion at the Velo dome concert. We did that all day and night, that was pretty cool. I saw Celine Dion from 10 feet away.

I also did security a bunch at the American consulate. They thought it was crazy I was there and doing gate security and being American. Even I thought it was Crazy.

Lets see, Also, One guy broke his arm fallen down on the beach when we were forced to play rugby by our insane Adj. Another broke two ribs while falling down the metro Stairs. A third knocked himself out stone cold while being drunk and disorderly in our club as he tried to jump over a chair.

Ok, back to deserting. You just need to be in the legion and see it for what it is, how it is ran and operated. How the leadership is...

That is all. And once you are in, whoever you are and if you get in, you will see handfuls desert for so many reasons that you will actually understand, because you are in and see how it all actually works..

P.S. and btw, Killer tofu, is your name named after the unlockable tofu from Resident Evil 2?. If so, that's absolutely F*CKING badass man.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
What is the main reason for guys deserting, especially after something like Opex or Vigi? Isn't that exactly what guys join for?

You hear US veterans talk all the time, especially as the wars have winded down significantly, about how their deployments were actually pretty boring and uneventful. But they don't come back from these stints wanting to leave service. Or at least, the expectation remains that they will stay for the duration of their current contract.

What is it about doing this in the Legion that makes guys want to leave after?

Besides the obvious that Vigi is simply patrolling the streets of France and guys can get bored with it real quick. Because for a guy with zero military or legitimate security experience who joins the Legion, that still seems like something that could have its benefits in terms of becoming as squared away a soldier as possible. Wouldn't be any different from joining a police force and essentially doing the same thing in the city you work in. But still, doesn't seem like a reason to desert. Just something you have to do when your regular rotation comes up.
I can't, obviously, say what is going through the mind of each man who deserts. But the thing to remember is why some people join. Some join because they come from very poor backgrounds. After an Opex, they have a lot more money than they have ever had in their life. You get paid more during Opex and have nothing to spend it on.

Then there is the adventure seekers. Nowadays Opex (for the moment) are few and far between. When you get there, as is the upcoming case of Mali, it's an anticlimax. You will be hot and sticky with not a lot to do except guard, patrols and corvée. If you are lucky you will get to see a bit of action and some of the patrols will be very interesting if it is your first time in N/W Africa.

After your 4/5 months, you get leave with no guarantee of another Opex on the horizon, you'll have something to tell later to your grandchildren (remembering to omit that you did not keep your word and deserted). So instead of doing another 2 years they decide not to return.

P.S. and btw, Killer tofu, is your name named after the unlockable tofu from Resident Evil 2?. If so, that's absolutely F*CKING badass man.
Haha, naw man. It's a reference to a show I used to watch as a kid. I couldn't think of anything else when I was making up a username.

Ok, back to deserting. You just need to be in the legion and see it for what it is, how it is ran and operated. How the leadership is...

That is all. And once you are in, whoever you are and if you get in, you will see handfuls desert for so many reasons that you will actually understand, because you are in and see how it all actually works..
As vague as that sounds, it still doesn't sound all that different from what I hear some guys say about the US Military. And I don't mean to keep comparing the FFL with the US Military. I just mean it in the sense that the Legion doesn't sound nearly as bad as some guys make it out to be, simply because I hear similar criticisms come from what is supposedly considered the much better option (assuming you aren't barred from entering).

Anyways, thanks for the reply. Some solid info there.

I can't, obviously, say what is going through the mind of each man who deserts. But the thing to remember is why some people join. Some join because they come from very poor backgrounds. After an Opex, they have a lot more money than they have ever had in their life. You get paid more during Opex and have nothing to spend it on.

After your 4/5 months, you get leave with no guarantee of another Opex on the horizon, you'll have something to tell later to your grandchildren (remembering to omit that you did not keep your word and deserted). So instead of doing another 2 years they decide not to return.
That's a very interesting perspective. Never thought about it that way. And I could see how those situations could arise in the Legion.

Then there is the adventure seekers. Nowadays Opex (for the moment) are few and far between. When you get there, as is the upcoming case of Mali, it's an anticlimax. You will be hot and sticky with not a lot to do except guard, patrols and corvée. If you are lucky you will get to see a bit of action and some of the patrols will be very interesting if it is your first time in N/W Africa.
Again though, not much of a different comparison to how I hear my own statesmen describe some of their deployments.

Thanks for the reply.

As for me, I'm still waiting to find out...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
"Again though, not much of a different comparison to how I hear my own statesmen describe some of their deployments."

Killer, it has to be said that a lot of your own statesmen are disappointed in what they found in the legion. It also has to be said that a lot of them have not served in any military before. It's only human nature to expect things to be like they are portrayed on You Tube and the history channel.

Except, as I've said in the past, these documentaries condense 4 months basic training into one hour. Not much of that hour is spent on people weeding the garden around the parade square or cleaning toilets.

I was in the Brit army before I joined. There was the same "hurry up and wait". the "order countering the the last counter order" The "idiot in charge". The saying was to be like mushrooms: "kept in the dark and fed on shit".

It doesn't change from one army to another.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Joe C is entirely right, the documentaries you see are one hour of 4 months of nonsense. I can assure you that my "Farm" I do feel learned a lot. I had a really good Sgt. Who took the time to drill us properly.

There is far more singing, cleaning and otherwise things that have zero logic and understanding. But then you think, there is 24 hours in a day. The cadre doesn't have too many tricks and the Chef doesn't want to put so much pressure on the section that the section deserts, LIKE SOME OF the sections.

There was a Chef from 2REP, in 4th section or 3rd?. Cant remember in my Compagnie, 2nd. He is the Italian the world has all seen. With the CUT HERE tattoo on his neck and stuff, took a liking to me just because I am the most tattooed(Or nearly) man in the legion.

Anyway, his section had deserters left and right, but he played by the "Old" legion ways and all the FUT FUT Cadre ended up in deep shit and jail, some kicked out and the chef, sent back to 2REP..

But there is loads of sitting around doing nothing. So honestly, its better to be doing something, it really is.

As for guys from poor countries, it is true, theres a massive influx of Mongolian and Nepalese in the legion now, Moldov, Yugo,Russian, Romanian, Polish. Seems to be the highest amount of dudes. I can tell you that in all three section s in my company of 145 men, I can say with confidence that 60 or more are Yugo, 25-30 are Nepalese and the 20 or so Mongolian, then us odd balls. American, Dominican, Serb, Albanian, Finnish, Vietnamese, Indian(Indonesian), Scottish, and a few I a missing.

As for guys from poor countries, it is true, theres a massive influx of Mongolian and Nepalese in the legion now, Moldov, Yugo,Russian, Romanian, Polish. Seems to be the highest amount of dudes. I can tell you that in all three section s in my company of 145 men, I can say with confidence that 60 or more are Yugo, 25-30 are Nepalese and the 20 or so Mongolian, then us odd balls. American, Dominican, Serb, Albanian, Finnish, Vietnamese, Indian(Indonesian), Scottish, and a few I a missing.
Have you met any scandinavian legionnaires? Norwegians, Swedes, Danes?

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Vigi you will do at least once, but most likely, twice or more. Nothing to do with rights of passage.

One Norwegian in my regiement, that I know of. One Irish.

Noone will go on vigipirate until AFTER you arrive in combat company. Once you ventilate Castel, youll go to FSI, or FTS for 2-4 months depending on how many dudes are in each section for the FSI or FTS indoctrination into the regiment.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
You thought entirely wrong. The legion doesn't want intelligent English speaking men, it makes them look bad. The legion wants desperate men from poor countries so they can hold em by the balls and brain wash them into thinking that there is nothing else left on the planet for them.
As my gestapo officer said, THE SMART ONES ALWAYS LEAVE.

Of course, you have to be a weak mind to begin with to think that there is not a thing for you, outside of the legion. But, if I was from the East block and 200 Euros was the most I have ever seen, I wouldn't nee to be brainwashed..

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
You thought entirely wrong. The legion doesn't want intelligent English speaking men, it makes them look bad. The legion wants desperate men from poor countries so they can hold em by the balls and brain wash them into thinking that there is nothing else left on the planet for them.
As my gestapo officer said, THE SMART ONES ALWAYS LEAVE.

Of course, you have to be a weak mind to begin with to think that there is not a thing for you, outside of the legion. But, if I was from the East block and 200 Euros was the most I have ever seen, I wouldn't need to be brainwashed..
Hmm, interesting. "The legion doesn't want intelligent English speaking men" I don't get why you said this. With rest of the post I totally agree. Why would English language and intelligence be negative for legion? Do you think that legion more prefer stupid candidates? Our friend Ryan said same in one video thing which I don't think it's a true.

All simple coming down o money. Guys from west can easily make more than legions salary by working in McDonald's or gas station and in my country 1000 € is salary from dreams. Of course that guys from countries like mine wouldn't desert so often in comparison to Americans or English.

Thats have nothing to do with how we are braver or better legionnaires. Unfortunately all comes down to money. I would like to believe that there is something more than that and for some guys has, but they or minority .Times when people lived and died for ideals are long passed.

I don't get why some people here have hard time in accepting that. "It is, what it is" and I appreciate DCLXVI (although he often have tendency to be real dickhead :))
for saying that and other similar truths.

If money is only reason for someone's engagement in FFL that is not good, but this forum pushing some attitude that one who joining have to be totally indifferent towards cash.
Maybe I'm not like that and maybe I still believe in ideals, but I know patterns of thinking of my generation. "Don't care about cash" are you kidding me? These are trent 50s. People became so greedy to the point of ridiculousness. For vast majority of men (young and old) money is number one priority in life

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Chef doesn't want to put so much pressure on the section that the section deserts, LIKE SOME OF the sections.
You mean like whole section completely deserted or most of men?

can say with confidence that 60 or more are Yugo, 25-30 are Nepalese and the 20 or so Mongolian, then us odd balls. American, Dominican, Serb, Albanian, Finnish, Vietnamese, Indian(Indonesian), Scottish, and a few I a missing.
Don't wanna to grumpy but that Serb is also a Yugo.

took a liking to me just because I am the most tattooed(Or nearly) man in the legion.
Man, maybe forum is not place to ask that personal kind of question (You don't need to answer if you wind it unappropriate), but every now and then I start wonder, do you have a ink on your balls?

"Again though, not much of a different comparison to how I hear my own statesmen describe some of their deployments."

Killer, it has to be said that a lot of your own statesmen are disappointed in what they found in the legion. It also has to be said that a lot of them have not served in any military before. It's only human nature to expect things to be like they are portrayed on You Tube and the history channel.

Except, as I've said in the past, these documentaries condense 4 months basic training into one hour. Not much of that hour is spent on people weeding the garden around the parade square or cleaning toilets.

I was in the Brit army before I joined. There was the same "hurry up and wait". the "order countering the the last counter order" The "idiot in charge". The saying was to be like mushrooms: "kept in the dark and fed on shit".

It doesn't change from one army to another.
That's what I meant though, that I hear similar comparisons of guys' own deployments and overall experiences from when they were in the US Military. Same descriptions and all. Most of the criticisms I've heard about the Legion I have also heard about the US Army or Marines. And there's really nothing that I've heard about the Legion that I haven't heard about the US Military in a variety of aspects. Even concerning some special operations forces, just in the sense that the reality is far from what you see in the documentaries and that guys can get disillusioned real quick if they come in expecting that. It just seems that the criticisms I hear about being in any army are pretty much the same across the board. Everybody talks shit on what they are doing at the time they are doing it. But then they look back and don't regret it. They might not particularly want to do it again, but they don't regret it, obviously barring any serious physical or psychological damage.

So this idea that the Legion must be so drastically worse in comparison hasn't really been much of a deterrent for me wanting to join. And if my application to the US Military gets rejected (it is currently in processing and awaiting review), and the Legion becomes my only option for military service and perhaps a military career, then it is still something I will try to do. Even if I do my five years and decide to call it quits, I have to think it's still going to be better than this dead end bullshit I've been doing and will probably have to continue to do in that amount of time in order to put myself in any kind of position to get out of it. Some if it is my mistake, some it that is circumstantial. But at this point, if I get rejected from entering the US Military, then my next course of action is to enter selection for the FFL. And I know it's no guarantee I will make it either, but that's something I'll deal with when or if I have to deal with it.

Hopefully I get word from the US Military sooner than later. But they're backed up with processing people right now, and there's no shortage of people they can put right in, so guys with any kind of legal or medical issues that require review get put on the back burner.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Killertofu

Yea man, charge to the USA military first if you can. Let the legion be the LAST option. Hell, you would even beat dusa and the rest of the pile. But Dusa will be sucking tits his whole life and I am already looking forward to next year when I can call his titty sucking ass out, again.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Killertofu

Yea man, charge to the USA military first if you can. Let the legion be the LAST option. Hell, you would even beat dusa and the rest of the pile. But Dusa will be sucking tits his whole life and I am already looking forward to next year when I can call his titty sucking ass out, again.
:) ye, ye. Answer my question. You can do it by PM. I don't care about details. Simple yes or no would be fine.

Most viewed threads of the week