a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Specific age requirements

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Hello everyone, I need a specific answer...

I am planning to go to the FFL preselection center in Aubagne on 10th August 2019, this is 5 days before I turn 39years old and 6 months. I know I am old and no need to elaborate on my motivation or fitness level etc. I just know I have to do it before I die.

According to this link ( http://foreignlegion.info/french-foreign-legion-age-requirements/ ) this rule exists: "The maximum age limit for joining the Foreign Legion is 39 years and 6 months. That means you have to be 39 years, 6 months and 0 days old at the maximum when you are knocking on the Legion’s gate."

Does the MAXIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT starts count once you pass the gate of the preselection center (the site says "when you are knocking on the Legion's gate" but this sounds too specific to be true) OR after they register my paperwork OR after few days of waiting OR when exactly?

If it is anything but the 1st case, how long time in advance should I go to Aubagne to give me enough time to meet the age requirements?

Thanks in advance

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello everyone, I need a specific answer...

I am planning to go to the FFL preselection center in Aubagne on 10th August 2019, this is 5 days before I turn 39years old and 6 months. I know I am old and no need to elaborate on my motivation or fitness level etc. I just know I have to do it before I die.

According to this link ( http://foreignlegion.info/french-foreign-legion-age-requirements/ ) this rule exists: "The maximum age limit for joining the Foreign Legion is 39 years and 6 months. That means you have to be 39 years, 6 months and 0 days old at the maximum when you are knocking on the Legion’s gate."

Does the MAXIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT starts count once you pass the gate of the preselection center (the site says "when you are knocking on the Legion's gate" but this sounds too specific to be true) OR after they register my paperwork OR after few days of waiting OR when exactly?

If it is anything but the 1st case, how long time in advance should I go to Aubagne to give me enough time to meet the age requirements?

Thanks in advance
I am not sure if you need more days than 39 Y. and 6 M., but why take a chance, try to go earlier just in case they tell you to try again in a few days.
Beside that, make sure you have a return ticket home because your chance to be accepted is very small.

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Thanks for the answer, I can not go earlier because the contract from my current work ends on 3rd of August, so I can make it in Aubagne on 10th, just 5 days before I turn 36 and 6 months!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for the answer, I can not go earlier because the contract from my current work ends on 3rd of August, so I can make it in Aubagne on 10th, just 5 days before I turn 36 and 6 months!
Like I stated, I am not sure, but I think you will be OK with the extra five days. Good luck!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The Nomad hello and thanks for your question.
Can you ask your job to keep your job open until August 13 which will be a Tuesday. That will give you a little more than the weekend to travel and get over your experience?
Sorry mate you left it too late.

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
@Josephcosgrove thanks for the reply. Wish I could do that BUT unfortunately I can not do anything about my current job... on 1st August I end 25 years of service in my country's army, which concludes my years of service there. Since I don't want to go into civilian life, I have FFL as my only option. The question is simple, when does the age start to count; upon entering a preselection center? or when the training starts? or?

Any sensible answer is welcome, sarcastic ones not so much...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
@Josephcosgrove thanks for the reply. Wish I could do that BUT unfortunately I can not do anything about my current job... on 1st August I end 25 years of service in my country's army, which concludes my years of service there. Since I don't want to go into civilian life, I have FFL as my only option. The question is simple, when does the age start to count; upon entering a preselection center? or when the training starts? or?

Any sensible answer is welcome, sarcastic ones not so much...
This is why we like people to take the time to introduce themselves before jumping in with a question. If after 25 years of military you are in the physical condition of an athlete then I don't think that the legion will be worried about a couple of days over the age limit of 39 and six months.
Otherwise you will be wasting your time.

The maximum age limit for joining the Foreign Legion is 39 years and 6 months. That means you have to be 39 years, 6 months and 0 days old at the maximum when you are knocking on the Legion’s gate. These are the only age requirements for enlistment in the Legion.

It may be worth pointing out that you have taken this from the unofficial legion web site.
URL unfurl="true"]http://foreignlegion.info/french-foreign-legion-age-requirements/
It's easy enough to tell : http means that the site is not secured https means the the site is secured.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
My apologies for not taking time to introduce myself, but even if I say that I am an experienced soldier with few tours... an elite athlete, professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter, ex- olympic level swimmer and Ironman triathlon finisher.... all these would be irrelevant because the Legion does not care who I am, where I am from and my experience etc... thus I just asked for the exact age limit

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
an elite athlete, professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter, ex- olympic level swimmer and Ironman triathlon finisher
If you are all of these things, it does make a difference. For one it will tip the scales in your favor when interviewed and of course during the entrance tests.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
but even if I say that I am an experienced soldier with few tours... an elite athlete, professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter, ex- olympic level swimmer and Ironman triathlon finisher.... all these would be irrelevant because the Legion does not care who I am, where I am from and my experience etc... thus I just asked for the exact age limit

So, are you really all those things or you saying just hypothetical? We had many of those Rambo-Chuck Norris-Steven Seagal 3in1 guys here. Turned out not of them never even tried to join.

We heard that couple guys joined having even over 40 y. Se ye give a try, what that. There is some chance.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Trouble is at near 40 you might be more open to injuries and would maybe take longer to recover. Most older guys who have trained hard in sports to a high Level have some over use injuries. Try and See.. You might be lucky

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good luck. Older you are, less durable your body becomes. You've lived a lot of life, some of the young ones going to selection are like wolves, hungry and can take a beating.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good luck. Older you are, less durable your body becomes. You've lived a lot of life, some of the young ones going to selection are like wolves, hungry and can take a beating.
On the other hand.. Maturity and intelligence wins too. I'm the f#cking Daddy 🙂 aint nö Dolly mixtures in here poofter.. 😆

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome THENOMAD, you've got to be the leanest fittest machine there, you are competing against blokes half your age, and you need to leave them in the dust with the physical tests to even stand a chance. Then with 25 years in a military I'm sure you're either a SNCO or maybe an officer. Are you prepared to be sh@t on and screamed at by a 22 yo Caporal and scrub toilets, gaurd duty, etc. Also the you will be limited career wise for some things as the age limit for some courses is even lower.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It's at 40 the troubles begin and get's worse when you hit 50. .if you reach that long

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Obvisouly hasn't worked hard enougth
Anomalies of mother nature do happen, btw