a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So You Want to Be a Mercenary

Domenique1990

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Here is a good quote, exactly what I was saying, in regard to foreign volunteers being mostly attention seekers (especially in the YPG):

Foreign fighters are your best friends and worst enemies, as they are the only people you can commonly communicate with, but they are often on an alternate path. You will be told any and every story several times over by many of the foreign fighters. They may inundate you with lies and grandiose stories. Other times you will be simply shocked to discover that there are people around you who are simply there on a suicide mission. Some will be straight-up vindictive criminals who will leap at any opportunity to steal from you. Most are there for fame and are constantly seeking a media stake, or are filling their time panning for fortune, often boasting a crowdfunding account long before they arrive and long after they leave. A few will be good people; you will know them as they are the first to fight at the sound of the guns and the first to work without being dragged forward.

http://sofrep.com/45546/so-you-want-to-be-a-mercenary/

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Aww... shite, pack it in Domenique, we ALL know how hot you were to go and waste your life for a lost cause. What ‘moral lessons’ have you to give to anyone? And while I am at it, All The Best for 2016 and may you find, your way. :)

Domenique1990

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
And your comment is relevant how? Did I say I was going there with the intent of gaining fame and making hundreds of selfies per day etc.? Are you having your period again?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Hello my tender Tulip, I love you too, you huge fanny fart. Take it anyway you want, I don't have periods of what I know, but I will let you ‘enlighten’ me since you seem to know your shite, mwah! :)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Dominator:

Welcome back, how was Christmas leave? I believe the article was well written, thanks for posting.

Have you got all of your equipment purchased yet, you might want to heed Mr Clay's warnings about packing light. “That is, if you are not stopped and detained by customs or border patrol in the airport for packing like you’re going to war. In fact, it is wise to pack light and pick up what you need when you get there. Keep in mind you won’t be able to bring any of it home. For all official purposes, you are not off to fight, and in fact, the law will not be your friend if that is what you are off to do.â€￾

Keep us posted on when you set your travel dates.

Cheers and happy New Year.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Go... Don't go... who cares? ;)

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Ever had experience of the sharp end I think not, when I deem it necessary I will post about what it's like to go from uniform to PMC.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Jesus, there is a reason I avoid certain threads, started by certain people. ******* go already...or don't....but this is a legion board and your posts never seem to have anything to do with the legion. Sure many are curious about serving in other conflict zones but ...why are you here?

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland

I got this-

''What type of Foreign Volunteer are you?

Your Result: The Veteran

81%

This is not the first war you have fought in and probably won't be the last. Publicly you say you don't like being called a Mercenary but you otherwise don't care what people think. You've tried civilian life and it does not agree with you and civilians piss you off. You feel comfortable being in a war zone like you belong and take a sober and professional approach to it. You have strong personal values and take things as they come. Your motivations may be ambiguous but that's your side of the street anyway. Good chance you'll appear in another war somewhere else. ''

Don't quite agree with the 'comfortable in a war zone' bit though!

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I got this-

''What type of Foreign Volunteer are you?

Your Result: The Veteran

81%

This is not the first war you have fought in and probably won't be the last. Publicly you say you don't like being called a Mercenary but you otherwise don't care what people think. You've tried civilian life and it does not agree with you and civilians piss you off. You feel comfortable being in a war zone like you belong and take a sober and professional approach to it. You have strong personal values and take things as they come. Your motivations may be ambiguous but that's your side of the street anyway. Good chance you'll appear in another war somewhere else. ''

Don't quite agree with the 'comfortable in a war zone' bit though!

Yes I would agree with you, however that's the impression I got from talking with a former NCO from Royal Irish who's been in the Peshmerga for over a year and spends 75% of his time on the Kirkuk front with zero pay. I guess some fellows are just born that way!

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Yes I would agree with you, however that's the impression I got from talking with a former NCO from Royal Irish who's been in the Peshmerga for over a year and spends 75% of his time on the Kirkuk front with zero pay. I guess some fellows are just born that way!

How's things over there anyway? heard hostilities is getting quieter? If I'm asking stuff that's none of my business tell me to fcuk off.

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
How's things over there anyway? heard hostilities is getting quieter? If I'm asking stuff that's none of my business tell me to fcuk off.

I wouldn't know for sure mate as I'm not there but reading the news it seems Daesh hunting is good on both side of the border. If you keen an eye on Rudaw that gives more the "official" news of the KRG, Peshmerga seem to be doing well around Kirkuk and the Peshmerga are making preparations for the long awaited assault on Mosul. If the Mosul Dam goes tho' they won't need to, a flood of biblical proportions will cleanse the city (be a good one to catch if you could lug a long board along).

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

Not sure that going to the other side of the border and joining the YPG would be a wise choice either. The ruling party has declared Federal autonomy over the Cantons of Rojava. This would be a good news except the Kurd political party affiliated with Barzani, the KNC is calling foul and shut the borders, there is a new opposition Kurd group ready to fight the YPG and the Assyrians are getting nervous about breaking from Syria. Assad is also pissed because the YPG did'nt warn him and they attacked a pro-Government building in Hassakah province and arrested all the fighters and administrators. Civil War between Kurds is probable unless they hold elections. The Yanks have abandoned them and the Russians are starting to grow cold on them too, Foreigners coming home are getting arrested and soon the ones still there are going to face some hard choices. Things always go to shit.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Bump
Olivier Le Clainche , alias, Kendal Breizh ,originaire de Malestroit (Morbihan. ..Bretange ).Volonteer in the YPG.Was killed in action the 18 th of febuary 2018 (air strike)

Idéalist,unpaid and dead (but thats not a problem )...just saying