a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoking

arena

Reaction score
From what i read and assume, legionnaires do a great amount of running and from what i read, there are legionnaires who smoke hell lotsa ciggies. So how do they actually maintain their stamina then?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I can tell you 'from experience' that the adverse effects of smoking do not appear immediately but only after many years of continuous tobacco addiction... and legionnaires are usually young.
I used to smoke while in the army (1 pack / day) and had no problems of fitness. Now, although I quit 3 years ago, I would most probably not be able to run 8 km with full kit in less than 1h... But I'm 20 years older and 20 pounds heavier !

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
Guts and Drive!
20 kms a day and ciggies, always with the leading group and always suffering, 2eme Cie in the REP. The first thing I did on a break was light up. It became a kinda "screw you and your running/marching I will smoke!"

chrisd234

Reaction score
You can do both, smoke and run... your body just adjusts to it like anything else.

Once I startd doing PT again I quit smoking... been 8 months or so now... I STILL want the occasional cigarette just havent had one...

Not easy to quit, but I CAN already tell a difference.

Ralf174978

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
Well guys, I smoke since more than 20 years uninterrupted. I think I started smoking with 14 or 15 years.

When I joined the legion in 1987 I wasn't the fittest sportsman. At this time the cigarettes in Aubagne were for free, i.e. we got every day one pocket of the Gauloises Caporal (without filter) each person. The Germans called them "Wehrmachtszigaretten". :D Does anybody from the Anciens remember this?

gauloises4eq.jpg

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I seem to recall that we got 16 packs of "troop" cigarettes a month for free. They came in a white package. The tobacco was blacker than Toby's A.. :D . The Gauloises were considered a better brand and had to be bought in the foyer.

yatez 44

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Gaulouis Cigarette filters make fine ear plugs..For anyone that smokes ,field strip your smokes when your done,and throw your butts in the Bin when you pass by one..