[Joining] Smaller Recruitment Offices (Lille)

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Hi,

I am planning to go very soon to Lille for trying (hopefully as soon as possible). I have read some topics here that say you can join in smaller recruiting centers and will be processed if you are a good candidate. Is this still so? Because I have received an e-mail from Lille that I have to make a appointment. I just want some confirmation because I have very limit funds and can't afford going to Paris for joining.
If they think in Lille that I will be a good candidate to join (I hope they do) will they just give me info or will I be processed from Lille and can stay over there for some nights until they send me to Paris pre-selection center?
I know it's been answered before but it was an very old topic and did not found any current one. I can't join right now because I'm sick, but from the moment I'm fully healed I'm going. I will not have done a lot of training but I've always been a very fanatic sports guy (one year almost no training after losing my home after that from shelter to shelter and never really could train a lot because of certain circumstances) but I still have the athletic body so I'm relying everything on my mental focus and hope my body can endure everything, I'm very confident that I can pass the basic test 15 pull-up's and the Luc-Léger test but for the basic training I did not any preparation training.

Greetz

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
275 5 6
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Cujo if the staff from Lille told that you have to make a appointment I doubt that someone here can give you fresher and better information. Thanks for sharing that with as. Can be useful to many readers. If they (Lille staff) want just to give you info they will not ask for appointment. That practice sounds reasonable for small centers.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Cujo if the staff from Lille told that you have to make a appointment I doubt that someone here can give you fresher and better information. Thanks for sharing that with as. Can be useful to many readers. If they (Lille staff) want just to give you info they will not ask for appointment. That practice sounds reasonable for small centers.
Okay thanks for the feedback, I just don't have a return plan (place to stay) in case I'm not selected.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
275 5 6
Home Country
Yugoslavia
When you planning to go? You talked something about booked flight. Guess that was plan for Paris. Looking at map, you can easy get to Lille by foot. :)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
87 2
Home Country
Canada
Hi,

I am planning to go very soon to Lille for trying (hopefully as soon as possible). I have read some topics here that say you can join in smaller recruiting centers and will be processed if you are a good candidate. Is this still so? Because I have received an e-mail from Lille that I have to make a appointment. I just want some confirmation because I have very limit funds and can't afford going to Paris for joining.
If they think in Lille that I will be a good candidate to join (I hope they do) will they just give me info or will I be processed from Lille and can stay over there for some nights until they send me to Paris pre-selection center?
I know it's been answered before but it was an very old topic and did not found any current one. I can't join right now because I'm sick, but from the moment I'm fully healed I'm going. I will not have done a lot of training but I've always been a very fanatic sports guy (one year almost no training after losing my home after that from shelter to shelter and never really could train a lot because of certain circumstances) but I still have the athletic body so I'm relying everything on my mental focus and hope my body can endure everything, I'm very confident that I can pass the basic test 15 pull-up's and the Luc-Léger test but for the basic training I did not any preparation training.

Greetz
They will do an initial assessment, when they think you are fit enough they will send you on to Aubagne for the final assessments. If you join in Lille and send to Aubagne, you will get a train ticket back to Lille if you do get rejected in Aubagne.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
When you planning to go? You talked something about booked flight. Guess that was plan for Paris. Looking at map, you can easy get to Lille by foot. :)
I don't have a set date but I prefer within 30 days , because I don't wanna wait actually and just join as soon as my health is better, because of last year (very rough year for me) I had a lot of set backs , on paper I'm just an ex convict with debt no friends or family and i cant and never will do something that's illegal for easy money I'm not that stupid anymore but its hard to get a second chance ,i really like what the legion represents and i wanna be a soldier so much and just serve the legion as long as possible, i maybe not physical the strongest but i have honor,honesty and humility and i don't give up never. i have very limit funds 250€ but i think thats enough to go to Lille and maybe go to hospital for my x rays on ankle if they want more proof that my ankle is fine. i currently have a very bad cold and because i did not eat allot for months my immune system is not very well and it takes longer to recover, so I'm taking medicine and eating as much as possible now to get very healthy as soon as possible and then take the first train to Lille and hope and pray i get in the Legion.

They will do an initial assessment, when they think you are fit enough they will send you on to Aubagne for the final assessments.
If you join in Lille and send to Aubagne, you will get a train ticket back to Lille if you do get rejected in Aubagne.
Thank you very much for the info I'm sure I'm fit enough (just not as strong as when i was 20years old) to join and be a good soldier and wanna try my luck very soon.

Rapace

Ratings
288 2 1
Home Country
France
(...) I have received an e-mail from Lille that I have to make a appointment. (...)
What did they tell you exactly? How can you make an appointment: giving them a phone call, sending an e-mail? That looks strange. Send me the e-mail you've received from them, if you can/want. I'll have a look at it. BTW, being from Belgium, are you a French speaker?

(...) I just want some confirmation because I have very limit funds and can't afford going to Paris for joining. (...)
With the lorry traffic between Belgium and France, I'm pretty sure you could quite easily hitch hike your way down to Paris, but it's up to you.

They will do an initial assessment, when they think you are fit enough they will send you on to Aubagne for the final assessments. If you join in Lille and send to Aubagne, you will get a train ticket back to Lille if you do get rejected in Aubagne.
Well, not exactly Joe. Anybody joining at one of the PILE (Poste d'Information de la Légion étrangère) in Northern France (Lille, Strasbourg or Nantes) will be sent for pre-selection to Fort de Nogent. Those joining in one of the PILE in Southern France (Lyon, Nice, Toulouse, Perpignan, Bordeaux, Marseille) will be sent to Aubagne. After passing pre-selection, candidates are sent for the proper selection at Aubagne. Of course this does not apply to candidates who go directly to Fort de Nogent or Aubagne, they enter straight into pre-selection. If somebody joins at, say, Lille, I don't know however if he'll get a train ticket back to Lille or back to Paris, where he took pre-selection.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
What did they tell you exactly? How can you make an appointment: giving them a phone call, sending an e-mail? That looks strange. Send me the e-mail you've received from them, if you can/want. I'll have a look at it.
This is the mail I have sent to Lille and also the reply: I have my saved money to go to Lille and also some extra in case for medical x-ray if they turn me to hospital for further assessment.

Dear Sir,

I would like to join the French Foreign Legion very soon (this month or early march) in Lille. Do I need to make an appointment? What is the best day to come and at what time? I have all the documents required to join.

Bonjour,

Je vous demande de nous contacter par téléphone pour fixer le rdv.
Cordialement

Poste de Recrutement de la Légion Étrangère
Caserne Négrier,
rue princesse
59000 Lille
tel: +33 328 360 872
Afin de contribuer à l'environnement, n'imprimez ce message qu'en cas de necessité.

2017-02-10 10:12 GMT+01:00

You are strong cujo. You reminds me on Jean-Claude Van Damme. Many similarities ;)
Thank you for the compliment, I actually know some friends in the martial arts world who know him pretty well in Brussels :). I just want a life where my past doesn't always come to haunt me. Don't get me wrong, the system is good here in Belgium but when I was young I burned all my bridges sort of speak and I don't wanna be defined by my past but for the person I am know. I want a new life where my past can be forgotten and not everyday be reminded of by the system or people here because they don't understand and when I first saw the Legion's motto Legio Patria Nostra "the Legion is my home" I really felt such a happy feeling. I really think ill be a good soldier with brothers I can protect and help , honor and faith is everything for me as a person because that's all I have and I'm proud of it.

Rapace

Ratings
288 2 1
Home Country
France
This is the mail I have sent to Lille and also the reply: I have my saved money to go to Lille and also some extra in case for medical x-ray if they turn me to hospital for further assessment.

Dear Sir,

I would like to join the French Foreign Legion very soon (this month or early march) in Lille. Do I need to make an appointment? What is the best day to come and at what time? I have all the documents required to join.

Bonjour,

Je vous demande de nous contacter par téléphone pour fixer le rdv. (...)
Ok, well... That is pretty strange. Maybe there's some confusion. Since you're also asking for information in your e-mail maybe, they're suggesting you to call, to get it. Anyway, since you have a phone number, call them. You'll see what they say...

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Ok, well... That is pretty strange. Maybe there's some confusion. Since you're also asking for information in your e-mail maybe, they're suggesting you to call, to get it. Anyway, since you have a phone number, call them. You'll see what they say...
Okay I will call next week when I'm at my counselor from the shelter because I don't have money on my phone to call and I'm saving every euro for the trip and food I eat now very much to get stronger and healthy. My French is okay but not perfect and I don't wanna sound like a stupid person asking the wrong questions on the phone, so don't know what to say exactly except: hello I wanna join the Legion and when can I come to join, should I say something more?

Rapace

Ratings
288 2 1
Home Country
France
(...) don't know what to say exactly except: hello I wanna join the Legion and when can I come to join, should I say something more?
Not really. If you decide to speak French to them, ask what are the heures d'ouverture (opening hours) of the Lille PILE. That's about it. I don't think there's a need to agree on a specific appointment time. Then, show up in the time slot they gave you and follow the stream...

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
I thought you were ill and wanted to wait a few weeks ?
Yes I'm ill at the moment but I wanna join as soon as I'm healthy and I hope the sooner the better so I can join but just wanted to know that if I go to Lille that I would not be turned away because it's a PILE center (information center as described by the FFL site) so I mailed if I would be processed immediately or just get info at the center in Lille, but the sooner I can go the better.

Also when I tried to join the Belgium army when I was young you have also here info centers. I went to Brugge first for some test passed them then I got sent home and after some weeks I got to go the Brussels French military hospital for further test but I did not have a degree and was not selected. But I was joining as a volunteer because of no degree and I wanted to join the ground troops I did not had many choice because of my lazy eye they told me if there was an opening they would call me but they never did as I was a reserve volunteer with no degree and a lazy eye. I don't blame them because there was much more smarter people there during selection and every person had a school degree except me. but was really fun doing all the tests and my stay at the military hospital in Brussels, and now I am over 30 with still the lazy eye, ruptured Achilles but I am much wiser now and I believe much stronger even without training. I do look very young around 20 :) because of a lifetime doing sports and I'm cheery happy fellow who likes to work hard for what I want, just need my full health back and then I'm ready to join the FFL at least give it my very best to try , but I think in a few weeks my body is ready,but my mind is ready now so just waiting for the body to catch up with my mind.

Not really. If you decide to speak French to them, ask what are the heures d'ouverture (opening hours) of the Lille PILE. That's about it. I don't think there's a need to agree on a specific appointment time. Then, show up in the time slot they gave you and follow the stream...
Okay thank you Rapace will surely do.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
87 2
Home Country
Canada
Well, not exactly Joe. Anybody joining at one of the PILE (Poste d'Information de la Légion étrangère) in Northern France (Lille, Strasbourg or Nantes) will be sent for pre-selection to Fort de Nogent. Those joining in one of the PILE in Southern France (Lyon, Nice, Toulouse, Perpignan, Bordeaux, Marseille) will be sent to Aubagne. After passing pre-selection, candidates are sent for the proper selection at Aubagne. Of course this does not apply to candidates who go directly to Fort de Nogent or Aubagne, they enter straight into pre-selection. If somebody joins at, say, Lille, I don't know however if he'll get a train ticket back to Lille or back to Paris, where he took pre-selection.
I stand corrected.:)

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
(...) BTW, being from Belgium, are you a French speaker? (...)
I forgot to say I'm a native Dutch speaker but I can speak French (Brussels street dialect) but not write very well (never learned in school). I'm pretty well with languages, I can speak Dutch, French, English and basic in Mandarin,
I don't mind walking back home if they reject me, I have a basic survival kit with me and I can survive on the streets. I'm pretty resourceful in desperate times of need :) I'm just worried a little they will not let me enter in Lille because nobody goes there, everybody joins in Paris or Aubagne and I don't have the money for these long trips.

Last edited:

loustic

Banned
Banned
Ratings
Home Country
Canada
Also when I tried to join the Belgium army when I was young you have also here info centers. I went to Brugge first for some test passed them then I got sent home and after some weeks I got to go the Brussels French military hospital for further test but I did not have a degree and was not selected. But I was joining as a volunteer because of no degree and I wanted to join the ground troops I did not had many choice because of my lazy eye they told me if there was an opening they would call me but they never did as I was a reserve volunteer with no degree and a lazy eye. I don't blame them because there was much more smarter people there during selection and every person had a school degree except me. but was really fun doing all the tests and my stay at the military hospital in Brussels, and now I am over 30 with still the lazy eye, ruptured Achilles but I am much wiser now and I believe much stronger even without training. I do look very young around 20 :) because of a lifetime doing sports and I'm cheery happy fellow who likes to work hard for what I want, just need my full health back and then I'm ready to join the FFL at least give it my very best to try , but I think in a few weeks my body is ready,but my mind is ready now so just waiting for the body to catch up with my mind.
Don't try to join, it would be a loss of time, for you, which is not important, and for the Legion, which is more important.

Home Country
United States
Cujo don't rush into this if your ill. Even if you get through selection you are going to want to be very physically prepared for castel. I'm not sure if people realize this but physical strength goes hand and hand with mental strength.
They are different but both compliment each other. If your physically a beast, you can overcome many more mental barriers than if you were weaker! You wouldn't be telling yourself,"I can't do this, I can't do this" because it gets physically rough
That said, don't not train because you don't think to you really need it. I said the same thing to myself because ive been working landscaping for years now an it gets real f**kin hot and real tiring with all the digging, ripping out, filling up wheel barrows with rocks 12 hours a day. Even playing soccer (futbol) with the Guatemalans and Mexicans AFTER work.
I still ran my first mile and realized hold shit I really need to train my legs and endurance better. I've caught up insanely fast but I would have been shot out of luck if I just went to selection with mine(and yours) attitude.
Train for a month or two please, for yourself.

Also can you see well out of your lazy eye?

Home Country
United States
If you don't listen to me about the training you NEED, your going to waste your money and your dream will be shot down like a Russian jetliner. Please train hard

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom