a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Should the Legion celebrate its creation ?

Do you think that the legion should celebrate it's creation?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
There's actually a debate among history buffs as to when the decree was signed by King Louis-Philippe Ier and promulgated. Some say it's actually March 9th 1831 and not March 10. The reason why this date is not celebrated maybe because, the “original” Legion was “handed over” to Spain during the so-called “Carlist war”, where France was supporting the late King's Ferdinand VII daughter, Isabelle, who had been designated by him as his successor against those supporting the King's brother. A “second Legion” was recreated in 1839 and dispatched to Algeria as a reinforcement for the troops engaged in the colonisation war.
Thanks for the info I did not know that. Was the Spanish legion created after the French handed over the Legion in the Carlist War? Did the French hand over the Legion in good faith or were there too many soldiers? Did the Spanish ever hand over their Foreign Legion? I once thought about joining the Spanish Foreign Legion but I’m too old and not from a Spanish speaking country. Do a lot of the Spanish still go to the Foreign Legion nowadays? The Foreign Legion really helped bring order to the world by giving young men a second chance to make better fathers.

I hope I don’t get in trouble for bringing up butt or my religious picture.

Attachments

• A293622E-C4AA-42F0-B447-E23D4C8BDA10.jpeg
    A293622E-C4AA-42F0-B447-E23D4C8BDA10.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thanks for the info I did not know that. Was the Spanish Foreign Legion created after the French handed over the Legion to Spain during the Carlist War ? (...)
I'll just answer the first question if you don't mind. The answer is “No”. The Spanish legion was created in 1920, well after this episode where French King Louis-Philippe Ier “gave away” the original French Foreign Legion to Queen Isabel of Spain. The Spaniards created their own foreign legion for about the same reasons as the French, i.e. to fight in overseas territories and support Spanish colonial ambitions. In their case is was not the conquest of Algeria, but the Rif war (in northern Morocco).

Reaction score
Home Country
Malta
Today is the anniversary of the creation of the Legion 10 March 1831 http://foreignlegion.info/history/#content.
For some reason the Legion does not celebrate it's creation.
Hope you don't mind that I am wandering all over the forum. I am especially finding the postings concerning the Legion's history interesting.

It's not really helping me with Valentin's story, but I find it interesting for myself.

The posting concerning the Training School for Fenian rebels reminded me of how much history repeats itself.

It is a well-known fact in the American army (but rarely spoken about in the media) that MS-13 and other gangs in California used to (and probably still do) send certain of their gang members to join the military for a few years. These were model soldiers because they were only interested in learning. Afterwards they would go back to their gangs and use their military training to train others members.

Things don't change. Just the dates and names.