Short French course

This distinction between feminine and masculine is a fundamental difference between French (and some other languages, in particular Latin languages) and English. And the bad news is there's no clear rules or logic to know the gender of a noun... That's why we often hear English speakers talking of un chaise (a chair), while it should be une chaise (chaise is a feminine word) or une tabouret (a stool), instead of un tabouret (masculine noun).
Now, if you ask me why chaise is a feminine noun and stool a masculine one... I have no clue :).
[/QUOTE]

The termination of a noun or adjectif,by a voyelle or a consonne, determins the féminine or masculine, in general...xion /ction, are usually feminine

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
This distinction between feminine and masculine is a fundamental difference between French (and some other languages, in particular Latin languages) and English. And the bad news is there's no clear rules or logic to know the gender of a noun... That's why we often hear English speakers talking of un chaise (a chair), while it should be une chaise (chaise is a feminine word) or une tabouret (a stool), instead of un tabouret (masculine noun).
Now, if you ask me why chaise is a feminine noun and stool a masculine one... I have no clue :).

The termination of a noun or adjectif,by a voyelle or a consonne, determins the féminine or masculine, in general...xion /ction, are usually feminine
We have really similar things in our language so I get that. Also I understand how confusing that may be to someone whose first language is English.

Still ... this is confusing to me too :)
Ma bite feminin dans son vagin masculin
My cock feminin in her vagin masculin
How the F is that possible? Very things which define genders are contrary in French. Hahha... Man!

Most viewed threads of the week