Send your mom's to me

Home Country
United States
okay, i came on here freaked out a few weeks ago and now this has been the most fun ever! Send your moms to me if they need information when you young men go.. don't leave em dangling out there w/ no resources for questions

Mugur

Super Active Member
Home Country
Romania
can we send our wifes to you?... i am joking, i realy think we could...:), i put my wife to learn english and then to ask about you :p!

Home Country
United States
and for the American's, please leave a power of attorney. I wish you did not have to "sneak off" from your family.

But, at least tidy up your affairs and leave a power of attorney if possible. That would have helped~

And give your loved ones this website cuz it has been a wonderful adventure~ I am so proud of my son and this takes some juevos! (thats eggs in Spanish.. he he)

a Mom

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Home Country
United States
I am happy to announce that I have made Denise's thread a sticky. I think this could be good information for all.
Thanks Denise and please keep adding your advise:)

ps; not just for moms of Legionnaires but Dads too I know of at least 2 maybe 3 that are here.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Scotland
Denise first welcome to the form if you have any problems we are here to help.

how long has your son been in and have you heard from him yet.

yours
..flash :)

Home Country
United States
He got word back to us that he got in in mid February. Should hear from him by June or July.

Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes - I am his mother using this as I am too upset to care how I write this.
Some of the replies to my 14 yr old son asking for information are less than kind - our eldest son is v close with both me and my husband and his sister and 2 brothers and has no desire to cut off relations or to be secretive which is why we are able to access this site now - we didn't while he was here as we respect his privacy - and hetold us a lot of what he read I think. he has just been foolishly influenced to go especially without goodbyes as he knew he could not face how upset he would make us.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Texas

Unregistered
Some of the replies to my 14 yr old son asking for information are less than kind - our eldest son is v close with both me and my husband and his sister and 2 brothers and has no desire to cut off relations or to be secretive which is why we are able to access this site now - we didn't while he was here as we respect his privacy - and hetold us a lot of what he read I think. he has just been foolishly influenced to go especially without goodbyes as he knew he could not face how upset he would make us.
I can understand why you are upset. But at the end of the day he is old enough to make his own mind up to what he wants. He should of said goodbye but like you said he knew it would only upset you. You have to respect his decision and let him go. In a few months he'll be in touch.

Pagoda_Warrior

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Norway
Why not arrange a telephone conversation with Cpl K or Charles Stoeng? They're two of the most knowledgeable Anciens and contributors here. They'll gladly give you all the information you need and put your mind at rest. PM them and arrange it asap so we can be made aware of the fact this is a crappy prank.

Right now I'm wondering which member of the family is gonna post next.... Call me a big old cynic but if this is a gag then archetype's credibility is about to go into free fall.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Scotland
guys when you join the legion its personal thing and you know your famliy will try talk you out of it.
i phoned mine after instruction and went home on first leave.
he will meet the best guys he will ever know and come back to you the better for it.
hope you hear from him soon ;)

Biggles

Home Country
United Kingdom
Bertrand was not especially tactful with his reply. I'll agree with that. But I think it is unfair to say that this forum is a place for delusions and fantasies.

What this forum is for is to dispell the myths around the French Foreign Legion
AND
To let people interested in joining know EXACTLY what it is like, so they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

Your son didn't make this decision rashly or on the spur of the moment. He spent months, maybe years thinking about this. He came here to get information and facts, to help him make an informed decision. And then when he knew everything he wanted to know, no one pushed him. It IS the hardest decision he'll ever have to make. And you should be glad there is somewhere he could come to get all this information instead of the random Bullshit that is said about the legion. No one told him to go without saying anything (and from what I gather he has spoken to you about it). He made up his own mind. He left without saying not because he doesn't care but because it would be worse if he did, exactly as Flash said. I can't say how you reacted when he told you he was thinking about it. Probably a bit angry, most parents would be. It might have been how you reacted when he did mention it that is why he would find it too painful to tell you he was going. But he has left and you should support HIS decision. He won't be gone forever and he still loves you all.

You are probably scared, and angry because you don't know anything about the legion or what you have heard is the usual crap. If you sign up (into a different account), stick around. Speak to other wannabes about why they want to join and read the reality of the legion, you would put your mind at ease. And understand that legion is an honourable calling, and you should be happy it is what your son wants to do.

Pagoda gave you some excellent advise.
Cpl K and Stoeng are very experienced ex- legionnaires that you should speak to. Most parents would be very glad that they could speak to them and learn the facts.

And Denise is a mother of a legionnaire who was in exactly the same position as you who came here, read all the threads and now understands what her son has done and supports him in it.

You should PM Cpl K, Stoeng and Denise. Sign up and calm down.

Ratings
Home Country
Scotland
Here you are Mom,

As part of the enlisting process, you will be given a new temporary identity - known as l'anonymat. This means that you will be issued with a new name, a new date and place of birth and a change of your parents' names as well. Generally, the new names are chosen so that the initials remain the same, although this is not guaranteed. The process of choosing the name is arbitrary (apart the initial), and sometimes the recruit can even make the choice himself or select a name from a phonebook - this depends on the recruiting official who is in charge of processing your application formalities. In Aubagne, you will also be asked to sign an official form on whether or not you want your presence in the legion kept a secret, in which case you will be considered sous-anonymous and not be allowed to receive mail, make phonecalls or public appearances (TV, radio) during your contract. For those that are not sous-anonymous, the lead recruiting officer will normally give you permission to send and receive letters and make phonecalls once you get to Castelnaudary. For those that choose to be sous-anonymous and then are caught writing letters or making phonecalls, serious penalties apply.

Can I contact my family during basic training?
Following on from the question above, if you are not sous-anonymous you can contact your family by telephone, mail or email after your initial four-week training period at the farm. You must of course have all letters addressed to you by your legion identity

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Home Country
United States
Nice Corvee thank you. So ok archetype's mom, dad, brother, sister..you have a good answer here from Corvee.
I would close archetypes account but he may need to post a message here to his family members. I suggest that you get your own accounts.

Home Country
United States
I email a few moms that come on here like I did, freaked out.. he he. They find relief and great information in here. I watch them start like me and then calm down as they read and visit.
I get the mystery of disappearing into the Legion, but families are still left confused and concerned. It's okay to get them directed in the right direction. Thank you all for being here. This forum continues to be interesting~

repman86

Legionnaire
Home Country
Scotland
I email a few moms that come on here like I did, freaked out.. he he. They find relief and great information in here. I watch them start like me and then calm down as they read and visit.
I get the mystery of disappearing into the Legion, but families are still left confused and concerned. It's okay to get them directed in the right direction. Thank you all for being here. This forum continues to be interesting~
AYE DENISE, IF THEY CANT GET TO SEE YOU SEND THEM TO ME, AND WIVES MUGUR, :D I'LL ARRANGE BED AND "BREKKY" AND MAYBE A MELANGE A TROIS(i just hope my wife never reads this:mad:)

Home Country
United States
providing bed and brekky... why do I figure brekky consists of two eggs and a piece of sausage! hhhhmmmmm.... I think I will protect the innocent from the coyotes! Do you have coyotes in Scotland? he he~

Home Country
United States
:)long time no hear hows things with you

I have been busy. I hear from my FFL son via: email, but not for two weekends now.
I have a new daughter in law and been doing bridal showers and graduation parties. She graduated from Texas State in San Marcos TX. She will join my Army son in Ft. Stewart GA. Army son goes to Aphganistan in Novemeber and I will get prayerful and concentrate on taking care of myself as I go thru this 3rd tour of war.
Otherwise, it is summer and I can be found at the bottom of a swimming pool, my favorite place on earth....holding my breath, all calm and quiet... I love water~
D

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Scotland
providing bed and brekky... why do I figure brekky consists of two eggs and a piece of sausage! hhhhmmmmm.... I think I will protect the innocent from the coyotes! Do you have coyotes in Scotland? he he~
just repman (wilde coyote) beep beep :D

Most viewed threads of the week