a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking informed opinions

Palmeadam

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi. I am a 20 year old man from Canada who very much wants to experience military life. I applied to the Canadian military but was rejected for a number of reasons. These reasons being the following. Depression (in the past, not chronic), ADHD with use of medication, and "NVLD". I was diagnosed with ADHD at six, and took medication for it up until two years ago when I decided to quit with the intention of joining the military. The depression was not a diagnoses, but a psychologist noted that he thought I was depressed at the time of our meeting (17 years of age). He also diagnosed me with NVLD, which is a disorder analogous to mild autism. I don't pay much attention to these diagnoses and have led a relatively average life all in all. I can attribute the depression diagnoses to being a lonely teenager, and the NVLD, to being admittedly a bit odd. If you met me you would probably describe me as quiet, but polite. I have not been on any medication for years now.

In the past two years since leaving high school, I've just been working, and also attended university briefly for a subject that I decided was not worth the money. I also applied to the Canadian military reserves and was rejected, but recently applied to active duty service in three different positions, my preference being infantry soldier. The medical person said that the concern had been the ADHD medication, and that now that I had been off it for a year, I should re-apply. The problem is that none of the positions I applied to were in demand, and the Canadian military has been downsizing. It has been three months since I re-applied and I have heard nothing. Currently I can run a mile in 6 minutes and twenty-five seconds. I can only do 8 pull-ups right now and this will be my focus in the following months. I can do 50 push-ups and 36 crunches.

I come from a family that has money. My parents are willing to pay for my education should I decide to return to school, but it really doesn't appeal to me in any way. I have never enjoyed school and have only ever been an average student. I have hated all the jobs I have had, granted these have been minimum-wage positions. The few things that have remained a constant throughout my life are interests in guns, war, and the military. I am drawn to jobs like the military and the police and firefighters because of the bonds that are created between the people working together. This has always been slightly difficult for me to do, but I still remember going to cadet camp as a kid (I know this is not the same thing as the ffl), and remember forming close friendships with everyone their even after only a month. The environment of these camps is similar to a military one as it is structured with a rigid schedule.

All aspects of the military I am interested in. Marksmanship, the work environment, the food, the significance of military action. I would be exited to go on deployment and encounter combat, but I accept that the odds of this happening vary wildly from year to year. It has become clear to me over the past couple of years how empty adult life can be. I go to work and everyone there is miserable working at their shitty job just so they can make it to the next day. I go to university and everyone is fighting hard just to be stuck in some boring job they will hate. I know that the legion could be just as boring, but why not give it a shot and see if I can get in? As of this moment, without any experience in the military, I would like more than any other job to be a infantry soldier. If I am once again rejected from my own countries military, I would like to give it a shot in the Legion.

So in essence, what I am trying to do is escape your typical desk job, (computer programmer, engineer, accountant). I have a sinking feeling that I would never be successful at any of those kinds of jobs, my heart wouldnt be in it at all, and I would remain in mediocrety. I like physical excercise, in fact it is what keeps me sane, without it I dont feel right. Structure is another thing which stops me from going crazy. These two things are present in a military setting. I would love to learn in a new country, and become more fluent in a foreign language, despite the challenge of doing so. I would love to do a ton of boring "corvee" in exchange for the better parts of serving with the legion. I don't care which army I serve in, but I would like to serve in an army.

However, I am concerned that the legion would reject me upon hearing about the opportunities available to me at home, rendering the whole trip a waste of money and time.

It is my understanding that the legion provides room and board while you are going through the selection process. This would make this a relatively cheap and frugal vacation, not accounting for air fair, in the end, and I think this is something I have to do, if anything to get it out of my head, as serving in the military is a lifelong dream for me.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Reading through your post, I have the sense that you be jumping from the pot into the frying pan.
Yes you get your room and board and get paid for the days you are in selection in the event you get rejected.
Read through all the stickies and use the search feature for posts that may give you the answer you require.
If then you have more specific questions, by all means post those.

Palmeadam

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I think that a challenge of this kind is what I need and will push me to grow. Sorry about the length of the post, but I guess the main question was just about how the foreign legion would view my background. I have read that they don't like hiring people with opportunities back home because they might desert. Should I disclose all of the information about past education, and my parents willingness to pay for my schooling? I take this seriously, but I know everyone says that.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I read "Depression, ADHD, Medication, Blah blah blah. Zero chance. Make sure you tell them all of that ;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That ADD sh*t get real crazy in past 20 years there, over sea. How did things go so wrong and so crazy? They putting kids on drugs because they behave as 25 % of male kids normal do.

For what? To sell medication? To put them in a mold of what they think kids should look like? "No, you can't hit a child in any given circumstances, but if he is troublous we have nice drug to settle him down. "

I mean, you put someone's developing brain on drugs for 10 y and then when depression occur they blame it on ADD. No any connection with notion that child is a junkie for past 10 y.

It's really sad story and I don't understand how people allowing for this to happen.

Palmeadam or you of any medication now. Do you taking antidepressants?

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Palmeadam,

I'm a reader of this forum and also a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Officer. Why don't you get more physically fit and try and reapplying to the CAF? May I ask what other trades you applied for?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
IIRC British Armed Forces will admit those who have had ADHD if they have not been prescribed medicine for 3 or more years , no idea what the Legions stance is , personally I`d keep my gob shut as they have no access to your medical records , what ever story you concoct you have to stick to it , they will no doubt ask about your medical history , be prepared.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
IIRC British Armed Forces will admit those who have had ADHD if they have not been prescribed medicine for 3 or more years , no idea what the Legions stance is , personally I`d keep my gob shut as they have no access to your medical records , what ever story you concoct you have to stick to it , they will no doubt ask about your medical history , be prepared.

Sound advice, I will reiterate that you should keep your ADHD, mental health issues to yourself. It's the fastest way to get shown the door in any military and any recruiter will pretty much see you as a malingerer.

Palmeadam

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I am no longer on any medication. It was a while ago. I definitely remember I applied for combat engineer. In terms of physical condition, I am definitely in better shape than when I applied last time.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Get your 5km time down to under 23 minutes, continue improving your pushups, pullups and situps.

Looking good is 75% of the battle when you show up at a recruiting centre.

Palmeadam

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
That ADD sh*t get real crazy in past 20 years there, over sea. How did things go so wrong and so crazy? They putting kids on drugs because they behave as 25 % of male kids normal do.

For what? To sell medication? To put them in a mold of what they think kids should look like? "No, you can't hit a child in any given circumstances, but if he is troublous we have nice drug to settle him down. "

I mean, you put someone's developing brain on drugs for 10 y and then when depression occur they blame it on ADD. No any connection with notion that child is a junkie for past 10 y.

It's really sad story and I don't understand how people allowing for this to happen.

Palmeadam or you of any medication now. Do you taking antidepressants?
Ha Ha. I have similar thoughts. I do not take anti-depressants. ADHD medication was actually used as a threat against my siblings for bad behavior lol. It helped me for a while, but it just stopped being effective, so I decided to quit and learned to function without it.

Get your 5km time down to under 23 minutes, continue improving your pushups, pullups and situps.

Looking good is 75% of the battle when you show up at a recruiting centre.
That 5k time is more than doable for me. I am lucky to have been doing track from a young age. The calisthenics are going to be my major concern. To your knowledge, are the Canadian forces interested in hiring more combat troops (combat engineer, armored soldier, infantry soldier), at the moment? How selective are they? My high-school marks are lackluster, but I did get my diploma. I want to figure out why they rejected me. The medical person said it was because of the ADHD medication. I should have mentioned that previously I had applied to the naval reserves, and was rejected. Now I have applied to the Army active duty, so I guess it is very different.

I read "Depression, ADHD, Medication, Blah blah blah. Zero chance. Make sure you tell them all of that ;)
Is this meant to be discouraging? I can't tell because of the charming little wink at the end.;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I am not on any medication. It's just me :)

Relax man, that's not what I thought. You didn't sound like you are on something ;) . I'm just asking out of curiosity.

If you tell them for history of your disease you would be rejected. So your only chance for gating in is to STFU about that two diagnosis you have. (Which, if are not serious and extreme, should't be called diagnosis at all)

How do they detect that child has ADD? How did they make diagnosis in you case?

Let me guess without using of a google. They (government) gave instruction to teachers that if child can't listen stupid, often senseless classes for half of day without breaking concentration from time to time ... maybe is time to see a shrink. So your parents wanting best for their child did exactly that.

When shrink looked you for 15 min, he said: "Mrs. and Mr. Palmeadam sorry to inform you, but I believe that your little Palmeadam have ADD. But don't worry, today we have medications and with it we can easily manage that. Just give them this, those and couple of this yellow ones and he would be perfect little liberal-black-muslim-gay-girl, ( :)It's a joke, hope that someone got it ) just like our progressive society want him to be!"

Of course your parents thinking that they doing right thing for you accepted doctors opinion because after all he is a doctor and why would he lie? You will have to pay him exams (check-ups, sessions) for next 10 year, pharmaceutical company would take money for next 10 y hmmm ... of course there is nothing suspicious . :)

I found that 11% of kids or diagnosis with some kind of ADD. Vast majority of them are male kids so if you take that in consideration is probably about 20 % of male children! OMG, really? Maybe we can just call that "bad-mannered kid" or "parents don't know how to properly raise a kid" or maybe for a god sake that's just normal way how some male kids behave! We can't accept that all children need to behave like latent lil girl-children in order to be considered normal!

Palmeadam answer me please, I would really like to know something on this subject.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So... Dusa goes on a rant... And I find myself agreeing with most of it.

I think that I might need medication.

In all seriousness, Boss, you're totally right. ADD is way over-diagnosed in the West, IMHO. Most of these young'uns ain't got ADD; they're just B-A-D. They really should just bring back recess in school - let the little hellions run off all the extra energy -- and failing that, bring back the paddle. Juste mes deux piastres.

Palmeadam

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Relax man, that's not what I thought. You didn't sound like you are on something ;) . I'm just asking out of curiosity.

If you tell them for history of your disease you would be rejected. So your only chance for gating in is to STFU about that two diagnosis you have. (Which, if are not serious and extreme, should't be called diagnosis at all)

How do they detect that child has ADD? How did they make diagnosis in you case?

Let me guess without using of a google. They (government) gave instruction to teachers that if child can't listen stupid, often senseless classes for half of day without breaking concentration from time to time ... maybe is time to see a shrink. So your parents wanting best for their child did exactly that.

When shrink looked you for 15 min, he said: "Mrs. and Mr. Palmeadam sorry to inform you, but I believe that your little Palmeadam have ADD. But don't worry, today we have medications and with it we can easily manage that. Just give them this, those and couple of this yellow ones and he would be perfect little liberal-black-muslim-gay-girl, ( :)It's a joke, hope that someone got it ) just like our progressive society want him to be!"

Of course your parents thinking that they doing right thing for you accepted doctors opinion because after all he is a doctor and why would he lie? You will have to pay him exams (check-ups, sessions) for next 10 year, pharmaceutical company would take money for next 10 y hmmm ... of course there is nothing suspicious . :)

I found that 11% of kids or diagnosis with some kind of ADD. Vast majority of them are male kids so if you take that in consideration is probably about 20 % of male children! OMG, really? Maybe we can just call that "bad-mannered kid" or "parents don't know how to properly raise a kid" or maybe for a god sake that's just normal way how some male kids behave! We can't accept that all children need to behave like latent lil girl-children in order to be considered normal!

Palmeadam answer me please, I would really like to know something on this subject.

That is essentially what happened yes. When I was a small child I was more interested in talking to the other kids than listening to the teacher so they gave me some delicious drugs. One of the questions that psychiatrists ask a proposed ADHD sufferer is literally "Do you have trouble focusing on boring activities?".