Rudyard Kipling and his Foreign Legion Friend

As well as being a supporter and enthusiast of the Foreign Legion I am also a big fan of the author and poet Rudyard Kipling. Yes surprisingly I have other interests also.
Kipling's son tragically died, as so many in the the First World War did, at the Battle of Loos. After two years searching they never recovered his body like so many other men who perished there. Many believe the poem My Boy Jack was about John.
A while ago I did a bit of research and found out about a fascinating story regarding a FFL soldier called Maurice Hammoneau who had avoided a certain death by the shield of one of Kipling's books called Kim. Quite remarkable. Below are a few posts relating to the story:

Kipling became friends with a French soldier named Maurice Hammoneau whose life had been saved in the First World War when his copy of Kim, which he had in his left breast pocket, stopped a bullet. Hammoneau presented Kipling with the book (with bullet still embedded) and his Croix de Guerre as a token of gratitude. They continued to correspond, and when Hammoneau had a son, Kipling insisted on returning the book and medal. source Wiki

He named his son Jean, the French for John, after Kipling's son.

https://nursemyra.wordpress.com/tag/french-foreign-legion/

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19310728.2.59

Anyway for anyone interested I thought I'd share a little bit of history.
Out of interest did anyone know about this already?

Last edited by a moderator:
What an interesting tale of larger than life characters brought together in time/place. I especially enjoyed and got a laugh out of the link. GIMCRACK HOSPITAL (PG)
WHERE THE NURSES ARE PRETTY AND THE DOCTORS ARE PISSED. The part about the Legion using detectives to sort out criminals was amusing. Regards

Sarah,

I am also a Kipling fan. Today December 30 is the anniversary of his birth in 1865. Some people believe him to be a racist. In the Wordsworth poetry library collection of his poems he is castigated and excoriated by George Orwell, as such, in the introduction. Indeed Orwell is most vehement on this subject.

I disagree with Orwell and simply believe this idea to be misguided. Kipling in my opinion was simply a man of his times.

Agreed Charles, a great man using characters in his work from many a background. The author Enid Blyton was labelled as such by some. She may well have been (I've never studied her personal life) but as a child who grew up reading her books I never felt it.
Indeed today he would have been 151. Yesterday his little Josie was born in VT 1892 (I think) and tomorrow her mother and RK's wife who tragically lost 2/3 of her children before they'd barely begun living.

Most viewed threads of the week