a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rucksack and back carrying

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Then I wont take it. Please excuse my asking questions a lot. I amgoing to sell stuff very dear to my heart to be able to afford the plane ticket. I just dont want want a refusal because of some, stupid paperwork or a missing paper, I don't have a lot of money to try again. To me each try= selling something from my house be it my mom's golden necklace (she volunteered ain't a thief!) or my vintage electric guitar, hunting rifle,pc,phone etc etc

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Don't worry. Legion doesn't care if you didn't serve your home army. They will ask you why, but they will not send you home because of that.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Terry toweld socks and some well placed plasters ,shall see blisters, less. ..even then, nowt else like mind over matter works best ! @ least for the brodequins / french army issue boots, during my time

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry. Legion doesn't care if you didn't serve your home army. They will ask you why, but they will not send you home because of that.

Dusaboss,
Good to see you remain as honorary forum expert on all FFL matters.
Stop saying that you are unworthy and present yourself to the gates.
My offer still stands !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So, today in military education session I figured out I am not eligible to join the Egyptian army because of "my eyesight". I honestly cannot believe that that guys in Eu and USA get in special forces after performing eye surgeries and here they wouldn't even be allowed to go to reserve forces. I won't act like I am disappointed or sad because I stopped caring about this country a long time ago. However, I feel now I have a very convincing answer to why I want to join the legion. BTW here goes why I won't join my own armed forces in case anybody was wondering.
They said today You cannot volunteer with a college degree, You can volunteer after grade9 before high school but not after. I don't even know what the heck is wrong with this country:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wrong, eye surgery in service is acceptable, eye surgery before can and is in most cases a Permanent Disqualification

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Terry toweld socks and some well placed plasters ,shall see blisters, less. ..even then, nowt else like mind over matter works best ! @ least for the brodequins / french army issue boots, during my time
Was than meant to say Terry Towel Nappies ? Dont forget your safety pin and talc!

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Wrong, eye surgery in service is acceptable, eye surgery before can and is in most cases a Permanent Disqualification
I read that as long as it is a PRK not a lisek then there is no problem as most armies require PRK as it is much safer to reduce chances of permanent damage due to deep underwater training or concussions in the head during tense exercises. This isn't true?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I read that as long as it is a PRK not a lisek then there is no problem as most armies require PRK as it is much safer to reduce chances of permanent damage due to deep underwater training or concussions in the head during tense exercises. This isn't true?

Keegan, I had the old fashioned RK Surgery back in the mid 90s, while on active duty, only need readers now a days, I am old, but 20/20 and 20/15 still.

I am with you on this one again, as a recruiter, I had the exact opposite job of a Legion Recruiter, I had to finds ways to slip a round past the doc, we had huge quotas per month to fill, someone has to put their two feet on the yellow foot prints at boot camp, the Legion, very small, the size of a Marine Corps Regiment or two, they say NO.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Keegan, also, remember this, in the Marine Corps no one, no one goes to Forced Recon as an initial enlistee, No One. Most US SPECOPS are guys on their follow on enlistments, not initial enlistments.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
So, you suggest I just go with my current eyesight without doing any surgery be it PRK or not? I am minues 4.5 in each eye and they accept up until minus 9 according to their site.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So, you suggest I just go with my current eyesight without doing any surgery be it PRK or not? I am minues 4.5 in each eye and they accept up until minus 9 according to their site.

For the US military absolutely. FFL, that is a JOe or Current Green Question. The very, very first kid I recruited and talked into enlisting was DQ'd at medical, his eyesight had a very bad refraction. The recruit I thought I was going to get started with was a DQ, eyes.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I always wanted to join the US army especially with my fluent Arabic I'd be of good service but I have no way to get a green card to do that, my family over there doesn't want to sponsor anyone and getting a DV lottery Greencard is just unrealistic. :s
Some greens here did eye surgery before joining I think not sure though but I some did in service or at least they told me they knew someone who did in service.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I finally understand what my prescription means. Never thought about googling in Arabic before today it made sense haha
I am minus 4,5 diopters in every eye and I got a minus 1 astigmatism in nearly each erye which means i have short-sightedness that means I am Y-4 REP needs Y-3 I guess I can settle for an infantry regiment (well settle for getting accepted first really!) maybe after I get in I can impress them with my determined attitude and discipline in training to get some sort of a waiver or an eye surgery to join REP is that possible? Can you convince your command via discipline and high scores in your training that you actually fit a certain position where you lack some requirement in my case eyesight?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Give you a $100 dollars if you ever make the REP
Fifty Euros if I am still alive. Same for Dusaboss who is nearly on my time limit. I have never had to pay up on this forum......so far.
I was very pissed off by 2 Wannabe RM Cdos who I sponsored to join. They were on this forum. They chose the Corps to the FFL. Both gave up in the middle of their recruit training. They let me down and I met them both as a monitor prior to their going to CTCRM. Boo hoo it was ever so hard-quote.
So I can be proven wrong !

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Well, I'll settle for two things. Getting accepted then joining an infantry regiment. After that, we can see from there what would happen to me. But really, I am still in Alexandria and I cannot even leave the country legally yet so dreaming big is kinda lame and idiotic gotta be realistic. Although if I get picked here as a sa'ka (google it) in conscription I'll probably end up in REP if I go to France (provided I survive the 1 year of hell here) as Sa'ka is the equivalent of 1 RPIMA in Egypt

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Well, I'll settle for two things. Getting accepted then joining an infantry regiment. After that, we can see from there what would happen to me. But really, I am still in Alexandria and I cannot even leave the country legally yet so dreaming big is kinda lame and idiotic gotta be realistic.
Go illegally. You only need to find way how to leave Egypt once you are in EU your troubles are over. You speak Arabic so you can tell them story that want tho hear in order to let you in and that is that. Once you are in France ask for political asylum.

Tell them that you running away from oppressive government who want to force you in to religion you don't believe in and into war you don't want to be part of.

If they are smart they would let in more guys like you. But no, instead they let in guys who become more radical Muslim than when they were in home country

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well, I'll settle for two things. Getting accepted then joining an infantry regiment. After that, we can see from there what would happen to me. But really, I am still in Alexandria and I cannot even leave the country legally yet so dreaming big is kinda lame and idiotic gotta be realistic. Although if I get picked here as a sa'ka (google it) in conscription I'll probably end up in REP if I go to France (provided I survive the 1 year of hell here) as Sa'ka is the equivalent of 1 RPIMA in Egypt
Get outta there mate!