a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rope climb alternatives

hitmanhat

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know any good exercises to help with the rope climbs i'm thinking about maybe giving it a shot but i'm struggling with ropes and stuff for climbing ?

teenzyla92

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
-pullups (especially towel grip pullups)
-Bent over row/ sitting row
-Bicep exercises

mainly back, bicep, and grip(forearm) exercises

epsa

Reaction score
Home Country
Russian Federation
3.1. What's the best substitute for rope climbing?
Towel pullups is the consensus best substitute. For more realism, alternate one hand high, one hand low on the towel. Some folks do towel pulldowns, as well. Standard rope length is 15', and standard substitution is 15 towel pulls.

I have been training on my grip, with a Grips Trainer, too as it was weak despite all the training i do, which led to better pullups. Hope it helps.

Murph

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know any good exercises to help with the rope climbs i'm thinking about maybe giving it a shot but i'm struggling with ropes and stuff for climbing ?
Most people don't know how to climb a rope. I think there's a thread on it here already..but...start on the ground with your left foot, right foot in the air, right hand on the rope level with your forehead, left hand off the rope. Start climbing..as you pull with your right arm, your left hand should grab the rope at forehead level, the opposite leg will be pumping down through the air. Just alternate this, but the trick is the opposite leg pumps and the hand over hand approach right in front of your face. Piece of cake! You'll soon be up 4m ropes in seconds without using your legs. Most people think fecking huge biceps are gonna help them so they swing their arms above their heads like an orangotan - they don't usually get their fat arses furthar than 50cm up the rope.
Buy a rope mate, go to the woods and set it up, then practice, til you feel like Tarzan. ;)

Last edited:

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Got told this trick
throw a towel over a heave bar, then grip the bar with one hand and with your other hand grip the towel a little way down. start banging the reps out! when you get stronger, just move your hand a little further down the towel.
remember to do the alternate set cause you don't want to get 'unbalanced'
this also helps you achieve the awesome one arm pullup. i can do loads....cough :)

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Positive mental attitude coupled with a liitle upper body strength will get you up the rope.