a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding bringing my resume and past experience for a recruiter

thecontractor

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I will be coming to enlist the first week of December and I have one question I checked out first but couldn't find any information about.
I have an extensive background working as a private military contractor for reputable companies in the United States, North America and abroad. I am going to obviously bring my resume and background information for you but there are some operations that are to be considered private. I have no problem with the recruiter checking my background out but will there be total privacy with my information once I submit it to whoever I am dealing with in the Legion. Thank you, if you can elaborate more for me on this situation or send me a private email that would be great.

-Jason

tdesouza

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If there is any information you want to be kept private, don't take it with you. Or am I missing something here? Just seen your profile. I think I understand what's going on here now...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Take tdesouza's advice. Apply common sense. At interview, be honest and concise but don't go into masses of detail. Keep it simple.
The more you say the easier it is to be tripped up and you leave yourself open to exposure.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Hey mate,

Welcome. For a tooled-up, cagefighting, bodyguard type I reckon you should give the Legion a miss. It can't offer you anything. Or not, I'm no legionnaire.

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey mate,

Welcome. For a tooled-up, cagefighting, bodyguard type I reckon you should give the Legion a miss. It can't offer you anything. Or not, I'm no legionnaire.
You may be right, but I can see how someone with his background might be good for the Legion. They might want him to help train other legionnaires in hand-to-hand combat perhaps.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
TFer85.
The FFL would not require him to help train Legionnaires in unarmed combat. He would start at the bottom of the food chain. Normally PTIs' are unarmed combat instructors with the rare exception. They are NCOs' and he would need to attain rank before any further consideration. Finally I am sure that there are enough trained exponents of unarmed combat in the Legion already. Also most units have their own adapted styles of unarmed combat gleaned from many international martial arts schools. Normally a combination of styles best suited to a combat soldier.

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
TFer85.
The FFL would not require him to help train Legionnaires in unarmed combat. He would start at the bottom of the food chain. Normally PTIs' are unarmed combat instructors with the rare exception. They are NCOs' and he would need to attain rank before any further consideration. Finally I am sure that there are enough trained exponents of unarmed combat in the Legion already. Also most units have their own adapted styles of unarmed combat gleaned from many international martial arts schools. Normally a combination of styles best suited to a combat soldier.

I'll accept that rebuttal. At the end of the day, it seems the most important factor in choosing a Legionnaire is his willingness to learn and grow within the Legion, so having a certain useful skill isn't going to mean much at first.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
TFer85,
My friend, I can't speak for the FFL, it is just an opinion but based on my own service. You are 100% correct about willingness to learn and grow within the Legion. That's the military way in all armies. He now has to ask himself the question ; Is it right for him ?

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
On the face of it, your bio is interesting. So my first question is “why the Legion?â€￾ Second, as a suggestion, don't bring props, Interpol will do its job regarding anything you care to share or not. Your skillset should be self evident to whoever interviews you, so just be honest. One of your most important assets will be your ability to adapt. Third, RCMP is self-evident as per the name, to know how to kill with your bare hands is far different than providing a safety buffer for VIP's or for entertainment.
Regarding weaponry, any chemical warfare training? Lots of fun. Many legionnaires have tatoos, mainly for the artwork. But there are few tats that actually mean something. With these fellows you may learn a few interesting things not taught in isshyn-ryu or other stylized martial art. Anyways, look up Tomislav's posts, his are more current than my old retrospectives. Good luck.