[Question] Recent Legion Acceptance

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
well at least These Boys went & tried. when i was Young enough i think if not married with Young Kids i would have went myself. I would have went for the Cavalry. Looks more my Cup of tea. I think Jumping out a plane i would shit my pants… no i would Keep my feet on the Ground. :cool:

kkillert0fu

Ratings
11 1
Home Country
United States
I kind of skimmed through his write up just now. I'll go over it more thoroughly in a minute.

Obviously I haven't gone yet and these guys have. So I don't want to speak out of turn. But honestly, there isn't a single criticism I have heard about the Legion that I haven't heard about the US military. There's no need to list side by side comparisons. But I think it's just armies in general. And it's hit or miss depending on just how good or bad your individual experience may be. With organizations that large, it's bound to happen. It's the luck of the draw.

Not only that, but there's bullshit to deal with in any job. Nobody ever comes home from work happy. I don't see why the Legion is so exceptional that guys can't deal with the petty bullshit they encounter there. Any job is going to bring with it its fair amount of petty things to deal with.

I also don't think a lot of people realize that 5 years isn't a very long time. You can only really truly understand that through experience and age. But at any given point, when I look back on my life, the things I was doing 5 years ago seem like they just happened.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
257 2
Home Country
South Africa
From recent recollections on the forum, its clear that most chaps are going Civil before they go regiment. I think they were expecting something completely different, I think they fail to realise that basic training is "BASIC", all they doing is preparing you for regiment.
I don't know if some guys are getting disenchanted because they've watched one to many videos or movies, but the vibe I get is that their expectiong advanced commando training...which is a bit naive considering the Cadre has to take a group of misfits and turn them into something regiment can use. How are you going to do advanced training if you dont even understand basic commands in French???
Two many wannabe Rambo's dreaming of medals and doing combat roles in a kepi with a bayonet on the famas spraying full auto. For your first year or until you make premier, one must understand you are lower than shark shit and you need to suck it up.

GuidoLovarini

Ratings
86 3
Home Country
Scotland
From recent recollections on the forum, its clear that most chaps are going Civil before they go regiment. I think they were expecting something completely different, I think they fail to realise that basic training is "BASIC", all they doing is preparing you for regiment.
I don't know if some guys are getting disenchanted because they've watched one to many videos or movies, but the vibe I get is that their expectiong advanced commando training...which is a bit naive considering the Cadre has to take a group of misfits and turn them into something regiment can use. How are you going to do advanced training if you dont even understand basic commands in French???
Two many wannabe Rambo's dreaming of medals and doing combat roles in a kepi with a bayonet on the famas spraying full auto. For your first year or until you make premier, one must understand you are lower than shark shit and you need to suck it up.
Never a truer word said haha !!

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeh good Post. I know one thing after 4 months Training i would definitely go to the Regiment of my choice cavalry if allowed. Would 100% do at least 5 years. I always see things through. You can't know what your Working unit is like till you go & do at least a year.

Ratings
180 2 5
Home Country
United States
I don't understand this whole load of go to Castel but go Civil, what a waste of time and resources. If you make it then you make it and on to the next challenge whether it be infantry, tanks, administrative, whatever the F it is. You go from one tot the other and then you get to your duty station. no if ands or but, or bitches

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand this whole load of go to Castel but go Civil, what a waste of time and resources. If you make it then you make it and on to the next challenge whether it be infantry, tanks, administrative, whatever the F it is. You go from one tot the other and then you get to your duty station. no if ands or but, or bitches
yes..Basic Training is never like the real world in a working Regiment. Man if i was 25 again i would love to drive the AMX-10 RC ...105 mm Gun. I fired this caliber in the Royal Artillery (Light Gun) was Always in a Mech Regiment too. would definetly be my choice. However i´m an old fart now… don´t understand anyone going through all the selection then not at least trying the Regiment. when i left the UK Army i was still Young enough 27 i think but i was married two small Kids which i love. (grown up now of Course) . no regrets but if i was that age again & single would do it.

Ratings
901 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
There was a time (for 2 REI in any case). Young legionnaires posted to us. ..remained in a 'section de perfectionnement ', for a month or two. .before getting assigned to a company (the time to climatise and get to know the regiments traditions etc..)

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
There was a time (for 2 REI in any case). Young legionnaires posted to us. ..remained in a 'section de perfectionnement ', for a month or two. .before getting assigned to a company (the time to climatise and get to know the regiments traditions etc..)
sounds a good idea. when i arrived at my Regiment there was just me and another guy from Basic. I got on fine but the other guy got a hard time. sounds better to let them as they did in your Regiment slowly get to learn the ropes.

Ratings
901 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
Did staff duty for 1 of these sections
Took them sight seeing with a bus from the regiment. ..touristique area and plenty to see
Sports was easy going, no shouting or cursing. ..at least restrained
Small marches and bivouac, ,relax max style
Présentation of the régiments weaponary etc (they dont see that stuff in Castel. ..much)

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Did staff duty for 1 of these sections
Took them sight seeing with a bus from the regiment. ..touristique area and plenty to see
Sports was easy going, no shouting or cursing. ..at least restrained
Small marches and bivouac, ,relax max style
Présentation of the régiments weaponary etc (they dont see that stuff in Castel. ..much)
best way to do it. we just arrived & i remember on my secound Day i was asked to go out drinking with another Scot. went out got drunk but i met a Group later & met John Boy. he was the Anchor man in the tug of war Team. was a Monster honestly. lucky for me he liked me . so i got on quickly other than a fight in the block with an Irish guy i was ok. I am not a loud guy just had to Show i wont take shit you know what i mean. anyway it was all good for me.

Ratings
180 2 5
Home Country
United States
Here is our process:
1-get recruited and get a ship date to report to boot camp
2-arrive and survive 13-weeks of hell, well maybe purgatory
3-get 10-days of leave
4-report to MCT Marine Combat Training, EVERYMARINE IS A RIFLEMAN, INFANTRY, EVERY MARINE MALE OR FEMALE. If you are going to be actual infantry you stay longer
5-you go to your MOS Training, e.g. truck driver...
6-get your first duty station

if you decide the USMC is not for you, you have two choices Suck it the Feck up and do your tour or go UA and then the brig. After you are let out you can go your way with a Bad Conduct Discharge hanging around your neck. All applications for most jobs ask if you have military service , a BCD will haunt you forever.

Ratings
180 2 5
Home Country
United States
yes..Basic Training is never like the real world in a working Regiment. Man if i was 25 again i would love to drive the AMX-10 RC ...105 mm Gun. I fired this caliber in the Royal Artillery (Light Gun) was Always in a Mech Regiment too. would definetly be my choice. However i´m an old fart now… don´t understand anyone going through all the selection then not at least trying the Regiment. when i left the UK Army i was still Young enough 27 i think but i was married two small Kids which i love. (grown up now of Course) . no regrets but if i was that age again & single would do it.
Man I just don't understand it! BS, you are a Legionnaire, this is not a tryout, you passed that at Castell, you are a legionnaire and you go on from that point, to your assigned regiment! not home. What a bitches way out!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
799 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Nothing to do with this thread, but USMCRET check out the 'general chit chat'o_O

Ratings
89 1 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Loaded with Milans and .50s and they did away with the 105mm in favour of a 40mm cannon.
Hmmm…...still would like that 105mm. remember when the British Army got the Warrior AFV for the Infantry..much better than that heap of Shite AFV 432. hated the 432. did my Tracks Licence on the M109 but later i went to the Royal Signals & was a Radio Op & had to drive a 432. hated it. Div Main working with staff officers. because i was ex R Artillery i was on Arty ops..my Boss was Brigadier Rutter Jerome. He was Commander Royal Artillery in Germany.

Most viewed threads of the week