a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons for joining

The Jack

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I don't know if this is a taboo subject but, I'd like to hear other people's reasons for joining/wanting to join if they'd like to share them.

Last edited:

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
My motivation for joining the Legion is mainly for the life experience, I want to see how far I can push myself, experience the hardships, comradeship and I'm attracted by the overall mystique of the Legion. For the longest time, I wanted to be in the Canadian Forces, but in the last years I've been captivated by the Legion. I want to go for broke and place myself in the toughest situations to see how far I can push myself physicality and mentally. I think the Legion can provide me with he challenges I want. Also, I don't want to end up like those old farts who are dying and realize they have not accomplished anything in life, I've seen to much of that lately, and I don't want to live my life like that. I've made up my mind, and the Legion is what I'm gunning for.
---
Edit: plus this is a bad time to want a military career in Canada; recruiting freezes in the reserve force and recruiting freeze for all combat trades in regular force. Also, many of my personal contacts in the Canadian Forces tell me that they are more of a bureaucracy than an actual fighting force.

The Jack

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Mine is because soldiering is the only thing I've ever wanted to do. And I believe my generation is a generation raised by women (fight club quote I know, but still applicable) and I'd have more pride being a legionnaire than being just a normal guy. And I like running ;).

Also, I don't want to end up like those old farts who are dying and realize they have not accomplished anything in life, I've seen to much of that lately, and I don't want to live my life like that.
Agreed. My greatest fear is being 50 and looking back thinking my life was mundane and I didn't do anything extraordinary.

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I like running too, love that feeling you get after running for really long time where your legs feel like pudding.

The Jack

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
dont ask a legionnaire why he joined we will make it up as we go

I will never ask a real legionnaire that. Kind of more aimed at the other "wannabes", was sitting here wondering what is motivating the other guys to join.

The Jack

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Although ultimately I think anyone that joins, joins to forget something. Lets change the topic of this thread to rugby? :p

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Although ultimately I think anyone that joins, joins to forget something. Lets change the topic of this thread to rugby? :p

Ok, lets get started lol.

[video=youtube;w5hP0kBQxB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5hP0kBQxB0[/video]

The Jack

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
FOr instance, I'm joining to forget the last rugby world cup :p

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
well most play hockey, I personally prefer rugby and play on my school team.

Edit: a lot of guys play hockey and a lot of women play this pussified version where the puck has a hole in the middle and instead of a hockey stick you use a plain old stick. I forget whats its called.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Do Canadians play rugby? Or is it all Ice Hockey?

I have played rugby for 10 years now. Surprisingly it is getting quite popular here and we now have more people playing then Wales does (about 80,000 registered players) mind you Ice Hockey is still so dominant (600,000 players) and other sports are also very popular (Canadian Football, Soccer/poofball, Baseball, basketball, Mixed Martial Arts)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I joined to forget and run away from the past, having completed my basic training i decided it wasnt for me and went home to face the music !! one of the biggest regrets of my life, a lesson for all future legionnaires.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I joined to forget and run away from the past, having completed my basic training i decided it wasnt for me and went home to face the music !! one of the biggest regrets of my life, a lesson for all future legionnaires.

Are you saying you did basic in the Legion and then quit?

A1200

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
I don't know if this is a taboo subject but, I'd like to hear other people's reasons for joining/wanting to join if they'd like to share them.

I think people from western countries are joinig because of a failure ,they have failed in some point at their life and they want to build it again,thats why you see many blues in here to come and go.They want to join,but when they get over the fail the the legion goes away from the heads.The rest of the world goes for the eu passport and for the money.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Yes, completed my basic at Castel and while my fellow Legionnaires were being posted I went back to Aubagne signed off, collected my personnel belongings and received a train ticket to the destination of my choice. Only 18 at the time so put it down to experience !!

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Do you have to chat up whores?

If you want a discount... Actually I got a discount one time for not being a "loud mouth", as the rest of my friends. Actually I couldn't understand/speak the language... But that. I suppose, it's for another topic. Regarding this one, IMHO, every one's reason for joining/leaving the Legion is personal. If someone wishes to tell it, then fine, but asking about it, it's kind of rude. Some might even feel offended.