a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons for joining FFL

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
kkillertOfu, don't get an occasional dose of eczema mixed up with having a criminal record. When I say that, I mean that which you are disclosing to the 'Gestapo'. There will be records of a criminal past which can crop up and would most likely lead you to getting kicked out. However, as far as I know, there should be no scars left from eczema so should you get an outbreak during basic training just treat it as a first time experience.

What you should mention to the 'Gestapo' should be considered very carefully beforehand. If you have a criminal record which would not allow you to join another army then you have to weigh up whether the Legion would consider enlisting you. It would be too easy for us to say that it's alright to have been banned from driving because of DUI that it doesn't really matter. But if the 'Gestapo' dwell on it and find out that there are other things than just a couple of beers too many, then don't blame us for giving bad advice.

One word of advice is do not change your story.
Thanks for the response. And that was kind of my point. That of all the reasons your military wouldn't accept you, a minor case of eczema when you were 13 might not exactly be something you need to mention, but a criminal record probably is. Just moving the conversation along is all.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Just tell them to go off and **** themselves, tell them you've better things to do with your life, then turn around, go back to the nearest metro station and find something better to do with your life. Regards, an Ancien.

That's pretty much the same in every western army right now (including the French military). The legion is deployed around the world but a lot of these deployments aren't combat deployments. There is a Legionnaire posting on the French Foreign Legion reddit who recently served for 6 years in the 2 REI - according to him he never really saw combat. He was deployed twice if I remember correctly.
Whether you get deployed or not and whether it's combat deployments or 'peaceful' really just depends on exactly when you're serving. Maybe you'll be deployed to a combat zone, maybe you won't.
I think Algeria in the 1950's was a combat zone?

(...) I would advise joining and serving in the Canadian Forces and then after joining the Legion if that is still on your mind... At least then you will have a better idea of what you are getting into and can say you are looking for a NEW challenge. Who knows, maybe you can have a good career in the Canadian Forces. I would join them in a heartbeat if I could.
Nickfury, so would I. I love those red uniform jackets and cowboy hats!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Good to know. Always thought the 'gestapo' was the commission. In your selection story, you say you think your age and degree were what did you in. If so, then it is the 'gestapo' that made the recommendation of not commissioning you, right?
Also, do you think being young is a meaningful advantage in selection?
The so-called 'Gestapo' is the nickname of the DSPLE (Division des Statistiques et de Protection de la Légion étrangère), based upon the name of the Nazi secret police during WW2. It's a colloquial term (so always put quotes around the name if your refer to DSPLE) due to their reputation of knowing everything about the recruits (or being able to).
Interview(s) with the DSPLE is basically a combination of a background check (where are you from, what did you do before trying to join the Legion, have you had any problems with the justice in your country, etc.) and a job interview (what are your reasons/motivations for willing to join the Legion, what are your qualifications/skills, etc.). Of course, there's some work done 'behind the scene' to verify what the candidate said. You may be summoned to additional interviews, if they want to cross-check, dig deeper into your declarations.
As Nick said, the results of this or these interview(s) are one of the elements taken into account by the final Selection Committee (in French Commission de Sélection) that meets once a week to review the results of the candidates, at least those who have made it up to this final stage (i.e. those who weren't sent back home or requested to leave earlier during the selection process). The members of the Committee/Commission decide who will become rouge (i.e. accepted in the Legion and given a 5-year contract before being shipped to Castelnaudary for basic training) and those who will be sent home (generally with an inapte définitif discharge).

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hei Hansemann, ingen problemer!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) The Legion won't give you a vastly greater chance of deployment than the Canadian Forces. (...)
I do take exception to this statement. Do the statistics and look how often and in how many different theaters the Canadian Army has been deployed, say since 2001 (beginning of war in Afghanistan) and compare this with the Legion records. Information is available on the web, for those who have time to compile it. Now, with all foreign forces (except some remaining US troops) having withdrawn from Afghanistan, I would have a hard time citing an overseas theater where Canadians forces have been deployed, say in the last 3 years (happy to get corrected if I'm missing something).
Having said that, as Joseph put it, 'deployment' doesn't always mean 'combat'. For example the Coys of 2e REP do regular 4 months deployment to Gabon and (fortunately for the Gabonese), the country is not (yet?) a war zone. This sort of deployment is more a way for the various French Army rotating there of being accustomed to living and fighting conditions in Africa and also a way of ensuring French military presence, just in case... The same applies by the way for short term tours in French Guiana.

(...) I would advise joining and serving in the Canadian Forces (...)
Fully agree...

(...) and then after joining the Legion if that is still on your mind... At least then you will have a better idea of what you are getting into and can say you are looking for a new challenge. (...)
Stongly disagree... From what I've read so far from him, he's definitely not Legion material. Too many interrogations, too many "why's", too many "what if's", too many "how come's", etc. etc. Believe me, with this type of attitude he would have a hard time in the Legion (assuming he even gets accepted).

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
The CF do a lot of those kind of non combat deployments as well and lots of UN or other types of missions. I think you would probably have a greater chance of deployment in specialized units and depending the training of the individual soldier as it seems they have a lot of specialized missions. There might be better chances of deployments in the Air Force or Navy considering a lot of the overseas mission. But considering the vastly smaller size I would say you still have a good chance of deployments in the Canadian Military, mostly UN and humanitarian relief or part of NATO support missions. Granted the size of those deployments will be smaller than a lot of the deployments that the French are able to pull off.

Click on the tabs to see what missions they are involved in.

Current Operations of the Canadian Armed Forces

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yes, in selection they ask everyone, especially those from nations with good militaries, why they did not join their home military. You will be asked by literally everyone...fellow EVs, to all the staff you meet and even random legionnaires while on work details. The Canadian military has some amazing units and training and possibly the best pay in the world for it's military forces. So....you know they will be skeptical of you if you say you have a clean record and a good life at home and say you want to serve in an army that is active abroad.

The Legion won't give you a vastly greater chance of deployment than the Canadian Forces. You will be lucky to get more than 1-2 overseas deployments in 5 years, I am sure that you could do that with the Canadian forces without 1/10th of the bullshit and restrictions and so will be seen as a high desertion risk. Canadians are seen pretty much the same as Americans and other Westerners, good soldiers but... high risk for desertion for a variety of reasons (either too hard or not hard enough and not enough deployments, depending on the backgrounds of the guys coming). Lots of guys join for adventure and when they don't get it they get disgruntled. That's why the Legion likes people that need it since they will stay despite pay and bullshit rules and being cut off from family and lack of deployments.

I would advise joining and serving in the Canadian Forces and then after joining the Legion if that is still on your mind... At least then you will have a better idea of what you are getting into and can say you are looking for a new challenge. Who knows, maybe you can have a good career in the Canadian Forces. I would join them in a heartbeat if I could.
Our good old "fish sauce" comes to mind. He has now a good career in the Canadian Army. :cool:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yeah even as a cook he had some deployments... An army has to eat :). He's doing well and he also makes GREAT money! :D

It was Napoleon himself who said, "an army marches on it's belly"

Legend has it that this was stated after his forces were held up because the cooks put Laurel 'sauvage' in the stew and stopped the advance of his army. "La tourista" -shits.

canada101

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The so-called 'Gestapo' is the nickname of the DSPLE (Division des Statistiques et de Protection de la Légion étrangère), based upon the name of the Nazi secret police during WW2. It's a colloquial term (so always put quotes around the name if your refer to DSPLE) due to their reputation of knowing everything about the recruits (or being able to).
Interview(s) with the DSPLE is basically a combination of a background check (where are you from, what did you do before trying to join the Legion, have you had any problems with the justice in your country, etc.) and a job interview (what are your reasons/motivations for willing to join the Legion, what are your qualifications/skills, etc.). Of course, there's some work done 'behind the scene' to verify what the candidate said. You may be summoned to additional interviews, if they want to cross-check, dig deeper into your declarations.
As Nick said, the results of this or these interview(s) are one of the elements taken into account by the final Selection Committee (in French Commission de Sélection) that meets once a week to review the results of the candidates, at least those who have made it up to this final stage (i.e. those who weren't sent back home or requested to leave earlier during the selection process). The members of the Committee/Commission decide who will become rouge (i.e. accepted in the Legion and given a 5-year contract before being shipped to Castelnaudary for basic training) and those who will be sent home (generally with an inapte définitif discharge).
Does the whole selection process generally last for 3 weeks? I heard 3 weeks in a documentary but it says 2-5 weeks on ffl.info. Does it all depend on how busy things are with there being more candidates at certain times of the year?

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Home Country
San Marino
Does the whole selection process generally last for 3 weeks? I heard 3 weeks in a documentary but it says 2-5 weeks on ffl.info. Does it all depend on how busy things are with there being more candidates at certain times of the year?
2-3 weeks for most people, but you can get held back. Happened to a few guys. Either held back for background checks, or medical checks etc. Also I was there over Christmas, there was no final selection commission during the week of Christmas... so I would have gone through in 2 weeks and it was delayed by a week. BUT... Christmas and New Year's with the legion was worth it. [emoji4]

If you are in good shape I'd say just go, either for the Canadian Armed forces or the Legion, it's your life and your choice but sitting around asking questions here is only something you should do if you can't go. I was on the board for ages because I couldn't go, certain things made it impossible, I wish I could have gone much earlier. Nothing can be gained from staying at home unless you are just in absolutely shit shape or injured or have some serious family issue like a sick relative. Pull the trigger and go Canadian or Legion. Do It! [emoji3]

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

I think you are trolling us all, but I will answer anway. 2 weeks is a minimum. They can do necessary tests and checks in one weak, but 2-3 weeks is period where they will see how do you behave, are you stable enough and would you run back home to mama even before basics (some guys do).

There is also things which will prolonged that period, for example not going directly to Aubagne. I'm guessing that they have to make groups with certain number of candidates for sending them to basicas so sometimes you will have to wait for full number of satisfying candidates.

I mean, man, what difference make week or two more are less. You planning to stay there 5 y ! Aren't you?

canada101

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
2-3 weeks for most people, but you can get held back. Happened to a few guys. Either held back for background checks, or medical checks etc. Also I was there over Christmas, there was no final selection commission during the week of Christmas... so I would have gone through in 2 weeks and it was delayed by a week. BUT... Christmas and New Year's with the legion was worth it. [emoji4]

If you are in good shape I'd say just go, either for the Canadian Armed forces or the Legion, it's your life and your choice but sitting around asking questions here is only something you should do if you can't go. I was on the board for ages because I couldn't go, certain things made it impossible, I wish I could have gone much earlier. Nothing can be gained from staying at home unless you are just in absolutely shit shape or injured or have some serious family issue like a sick relative. Pull the trigger and go Canadian or Legion. Do It! [emoji3]

I'm going to go sometime next year for Legion selection. For lessening time spent on background checks, would it make any difference at all if I provide them with an up-to-date federal police background check?

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Home Country
San Marino
I'm going to go sometime next year for Legion selection. For lessening time spent on background checks, would it make any difference at all if I provide them with an up-to-date federal police background check?
Hmm they will do their own checks and interviews legion style, no matter what. But it wouldn't hurt or help much....if you have a perfect record it could be a bit if a liability only in that you have nothing to keep you from going home for greener pastures if you didn't like the legion (in their minds).

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Also, I was there over Christmas, there was no final selection commission during the week of Christmas... so I would have gone through in 2 weeks and it was delayed by a week. BUT... Christmas and New Year's with the legion was worth it. [emoji4]

Hmmm I was planning to go around the second week of December to FdN. Given that there’s no selection during Christmas week and more blues will amass, do you think it would significantly reduce my chances? If so, I’ll change my ticket to a week later so that I spend Christmas at FdN. Do you think that would be wise?
Thanks.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Who gives a F for your "perfect record". If I'm in Gestapo I would send you civil until you don't steal chocolate bar from store. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hmmm I was planning to go around the second week of December to FdN. Given that there’s no selection during Christmas week and more blues will amass, do you think it would significantly reduce my chances? If so, I’ll change my ticket to a week later so that I spend Christmas at FdN. Do you think that would be wise?
Thanks.

Type in Christmas in the search mode and read the comments concerning joining at Christmas or take my word for it and go earlier or afterwards. The choice is yours and whatever you choose it should be the right one and may well be what tips the scales. Good luck. Either way you will get a good meal on the 24th.

BUT do not do like me and join just after Camerone (in your case Chrimbo) and say to yourself, 'this food is not bad at all!'.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Home Country
San Marino
Thanks.
Not too many guys overall. I heard end of Nov or early Dec is best but Christmas was a cool experience. I was 1 spot away from getting picked so I missed it by a whisker and that was on me for not convincing them i was thinking long term and letting them think I had some options at home .

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
I see. Thank you Nick and Joseph! I’ll keep things as they are.
I won’t be able to go earlier than mid-December, and I don’t see much point in going later, as either I’ll contend with more wannabes because of there being no selection around Christmas, or I’ll spend Christmas at FdN and have to deal with a larger influx of wannabes (as I assume there will be after the holidays). Either way I think my chances will be the same.