a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reason for Visa

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Is it a good idea to say youre joining the Legion to get a Fench Visa? Or should you flat out lie and say Tourism?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I am not sure, it used to be that you should not mention the legion, but if you mention tourisme they might ask for proof of enough funds for the duration of your stay in France.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Is it a good idea to say youre joining the Legion to get a Fench Visa? Or should you flat out lie and say Tourism?
As Volt said, there's probably no definite answer to that question. Probably depends whether or not guy in embassy where you asking for visa likes or hates army, unless there is some decree by French government which obliged them to give visa easier for guys wanting to join FFL. But I highly doubt in that because there would be many of those who would abuse that. Saying they want to join, but actually have no intention to do that.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Neither! If you are truly interested in joining the legion be up front and say so! Bullshit is not going to get you anywhere!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Tourist, you risk!
It's not really the ideal time to be traveling, any where...
Geeze fk man, even the gypos are hibernating at the now
This year, even with most of the restrictions lifted (for the moment)is a non starter in my book
Most who are actually joining the Legion now are from France or other not to far away countries (Europe and neighbours)
What if you do go and get rejected?
Do you have a plan B?
Will you have enough funds (Dosh)
Wait this crap out...at least to September (experts are saying)
I say, 2021...even then, with reserve
How good is your french?
Learn more in the meantime
Build up your beef to entrance testing standards
Sharp your blades
If the Legion fails, you can try the Gurkhas
Ain't that much difference between the Nepalese and Philippinos, is their?
Lie your way out if you have to (you mentioned so your self)
Or jus LIE low and wait this crap out
How old are you, btw?

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Well Caporal I will be 30 this November. I am not going to join the Legion for now because I need the funds to get to France.

I wanted to join our local military when I was younger but I fell into a bad place and was over the maximum age to enlist. Age limit for our military to enlist is 26.

Also Gurkhas and Filipinos, I would say we are better than Gurkhas. They may have Kukris but our units are drilled better I think with close combat martial arts.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
this issue is common in S.E Asia, I'm also working and trying to save money for the visa, however, it is quite tricky because you also need to have proof of employment (thus, even if you have sufficient funds, you can't just quite from your job, you need to ask a letter proving your employment with a certain company). Another alternative is that you have your own company, nut you still need proof of income for that company for the last 3 months. It's quite a pain in the a$$ to get a visa over here

Last edited by a moderator:

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Well Caporal I will be 30 this November. I am not going to join the Legion for now because I need the funds to get to France.

I wanted to join our local military when I was younger but I fell into a bad place and was over the maximum age to enlist. Age limit for our military to enlist is 26.

Also Gurkhas and Filipinos, I would say we are better than Gurkhas. They may have Kukris but our units are drilled better I think with close combat martial arts.
Dude, your military's top sh$t, you Phillipinos get to see a lot of combat (compared to us Indonesia)and regularly train with American SOF. You shouldve joined when you were below the cut out age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Gurkhas have historically a magnificent martial record. Filipinos individually are fine fighters. Also their Marine Corps is good. However when in close combat there is little or no use for martial arts. Finally according to Soldier Magazine the British Gurkhas have won several British Army all comers martial arts competitions.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dude, your military's top shit, you Phillipinos get to see a lot of combat (compared to us Indonesia)and regularly train with American SOF. You shouldve joined when you were below the cut out age.
Stella were you alive during the period of what we British call 'Indonesian Confrontation' ? Your troops were pretty good confronting our RM commandos and Gurkhas. Google 'Claret Raids' in which my old unit participated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Gurkhas have historically a magnificent martial record. Filipinos individually are fine fighters. Also their Marine Corps is good. However when in close combat there is little or no use for martial arts. Finally according to Soldier Magazine the British Gurkhas have won several British Army all comers martial arts competitions.
Well said that man.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Yes sir, especially our commandos from Kopassus PARAKO groups. However, our military today (for the most part) lack professionalism (due to low standards of training and lack of technology). The use of our defense budget is alsonot the effecient and effective, for the most part, around 60 % of the budget is spent on employee salaries and benefits, only a small portion of the budget is allocated for defense tech development and procuring arms. The special forces enjoy/ use a wide array of advanced weaponry. However this cant be said for regular grunt units where, even for regular/ day-to-day training the lack the ammunition and also weaponry to train sufficiently. And also you've got politics and ego between the branches making interoperability difficult. Although we're a maritime country, the AF branch that receive the most budgeting is the Army

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
another thing is that top rarely/ has an inclination to not learn lessons learned/ or admit failure since their ego and branch pride is at stake, hampering the progress/ learning curve