a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Read Before Asking: FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forgotten

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
HEED THIS MESSAGE

Circle Around! Listen here and listen well because before we can help you it is you who must help us. This French Foreign Legion forum has been around for quiet some time and over this period of time we have gathered together a significant amount of questions and answers. With these we have created a FAQ that not only benefits you but everyone on this forum. Having to addressing repeatedly asked questions sidetracks those who have “been there done thatâ€￾ from answering important genuine questions thus degenerating the quality of this forum. Because of this we will only address these questions once right here and right now. Take a look around and find your question in the FAQ. If your question is not here in the FAQ it is either because…
…the question can not be answered by anyone.​
…the question can be answered by you.​
…the question has little importance or relevance to the Legion.​
If none of the above apply than you have a genuine question that should be asked and more than likely added to the FAQ. It is important that you title all topics of your posts’ with an appropriate title that suits your question. Topics with “I have a Questionâ€￾ wastes everyone’s time. Give us a clue as to what you will be asking in your topic. Use common sense when posting a question. We are all adults and expect you to hold a manner of professionalism during your stay here. You will respectfully address the members on this forum and adhere to the knowledge of the members who have “been there done that.â€￾ Feel free to introduce yourself, doing so is courteous to those of us who see new faces everyday, however you are not encouraged to give out personal information. So with that, BIENVENUE!

Just another soldier,

<B>
Forgotten

</B>

Le Général Questionne
- Response from the official Legion website.

Relations et Famille
- What is the Legionaires policy regarding a family emergency? Can one leave to attend a funeral for example?
Non. > Read More
- Can one join the Legion if one is married?
Non. > Read More

Vie à la Legion
- Desertion
- Foreign Legion life (book by Evan McGorman)
- 2eme REP
- Regiments of the Foreign Legion
- After Castelnaudary
- Cooks
- Corsica
- Christmas
- Professionalism
- Swimming
- Workout Terms
- Vacation
- Legion songs (External link)

Legion Equipement
- Beret
- About FAMAS
- FAMAS & lefties
- Precision rifles

Procedure De Recrutement
- Behaviour
- How is ones physical capacity tested? Are there timed runs for example?
One will run the Multistage Fitness Test, otherwise known as the "beep test." > Read More
- College Education
- French Courses Online
- Going Civil
- Inapte Definitif
- Inapte Temporaire
- Inapte Temporaire (deux)
- Military path Before Joining
- Mindset before joining
- Nationality
- Papers To Bring (Diploma's etc.)
- Personnel Possesions
- Selection Pay
- Sleep & Food
- Store Belongings
- Turn-Away Rates
- What The Legion Is Looking For

Voyager en France
- Entering France
- Civil Bank Account
- Currency Exchange Rates (External link)
- US Passport FAQ (External link)

Legion videos
- available here (thanks to CJ for hosting them)

Last edited by a moderator:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
From: "LEGION" <legion-recrute@comle.terre.defense.gouv.fr>
Subject: Re:Demande d'information
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:33:21 +0100

Hello ,

In reply to your mail, I address you a list (attached document) which sums up the bulk of what it is necessary to know about the modalities of commitment in the foreign Legion and gives the answer to your question.

All you need to do is to come to a Legion recruiting post, whatever your nationality or your country of origin, in mainland France foreigners from outside the EEC are required to have a valid passport (with or without visa) to enlist. No recruiting is done in other countries. You can come every day of the year in an office recruiting post, however recommend to
come during the week from 8 h at 17 h to make easier administrative tasks.

You have to bring with you :

1) passport valid (with or without VISA), and if you have driving licences, ID card ...
2) briefs and socks for 3 days
3) a pair of sneaker
4) a vanity box: with: soap, razor (+ lather) , toothbrush, bath towel....
5) money about 40 euros ....

Do not bring with you : computer, walk-man, cellular phone, jewels, knife, credit card....

Don't forget to read the attached documents.

http://www.br-legion.com
---------------------------------------------
Þetta skeyti er sent með vefposti strik.is
http://www.strik.is

Don't forget to read the attached documents.

JOIN LEGION ETRANGERE

(answers questions: to see the end of the document)

TERMS OF REFERENCE

The selection and incorporation are permanent. After your arrival in a station of recruitment, you will be cabin and nourished free.

1. To make application form, you must present in an stations of recruitment whose addresses are reproduced on Internet site of Division recruitment of the foreign Legion: http://www.br-legion.com
If recruitment is opened to the men from 17 to 40 years (parental authorization for the minors certified by the French state, therefore the Embassy of France for the foreigners), the candidates of less than 18 to 30 years have however much more chances to be selected.

2. After a first medical examination and a series questions in a station of one duration recruitment from 1 to 3 days, you will be possibly authorizes to subscribe one five years duration an unconditional contract (5) minimum.

3. You will be then directs on the Center of Selection d’ Aubagne, close to Marseilles, to be subjected there to operations of selection and average lasted orientation from 1 to 14 days :
- medical and sporting Controls, psycho technical tests.
- Talks of safety and motivation.

If the candidature is approved at the time of the weekly commission, you will be built-in.

In the contrary case and whatever is the reason, you will be immediately returned to the civil life.

Here the model of booklet which you can receive by postal way.

QUESTIONS / ANSWERS

1. Documents :
For residents of countries outside the EEC it is necessary to be in possession of a valid passport. The recruiting office cannot offer any aid for obtaining documents. No letters of intent or pre-enlistment can be sent and no financial support can be given for transportation.It is explicitly understood that no guarantees of enlistment are either given or implied. All selection tests are effectuated in France. As a general indication, about 1 of 7 volunteers eventually succeed in the tests.
2. Medical aptitude:
Medical aptitude is determined ONLY by the medical corps of the French army. No foreign certificates are recognized.

Minimum visual acuity:
* uncorrected: minimum 0,5 for each eye
* corrected: or [7/10 and 2/10], or [6/10 and 3/10] or [5/10 and 4/10] (total: 9/10 with the two eyes)
Correction in dioptres :
* near-sighted: -10
* far-sighted: +8

3. French language:
It is not necessary to speak French in order to enlist. French language classes are provided during basic training.

4. Selection tests:
All candidates pass a summary athletic ability test. The test consists of running on a measured track for a period of 12 minutes. The greater the distance achieved after 12 minutes, the greater the chances of being enlisted. There are of course other standard tests. However, in order to preserve equal opportunities, their nature and content cannot be revealed.

5. Dossiers:
It is not necessary to prepare an enlistment dossier. Valid identity papers or passport (see above) are the only required documents. However, providing more supporting documents increases the chances of enlistment.

6. Pay:
Legionnaires receive the same pay as soldiers in the French regular army. The pay scale is determined by rank, years of service and postings. Bonus pay is awarded according to missions. As an example, basic monthly pay (excluding postings and bonus) is ??? euros for a legionnaire 2nd class and 1556 euros for a staff sergeant. Food, lodging and equipment are provided at no extra charge. Legionnaires who have served for a minimum total of 15 years qualify for an army pension payable either in France or abroad.

7. Diplomas:
No scholastic or professional diplomas are required. Qualifications increase the chances of acceptance however whatever the qualifications ALL legionnaires begin their careers as simple soldiers.

8. Specialization:
Legionnaires are trained first and foremost to become elite combat soldiers. They can also with time become specialized in a large variety of other fields (administration, health care, maintenance, computer science, transmissions, public works etc.). These other specialties can facilitate their eventual return to civilian life.

9. Contracts:
The initial contract is for a period of 5 years and is not negotiable. The legionnaire can continue his career with subsequent contracts of 6 months to 3 years until reaching 15 years service or even more if his rank and service record so permit.

10. Advancement:
Advancement is obtained according to merit. Legionnaires are promoted not according to their prior qualifications but by virtue of the qualifications they obtain during their successive contracts.

11. Documentation:
Documentation and brochures can be obtained by writing to the following address.

12. Enlistment forms:
No enlistment forms can be sent by mail or by internet.

13. Leave:
During basic training (16 to 20 weeks) no leave time is given except for an occasional week end. Annual leave is established according to time in service.

1 year : 20 days
2 years : 35 days
3 years and more : 45 days

Leave may be taken anywhere in mainland France. Requests for taking leaves in other countries are subject to special conditions.

14. Naturalization and citizenship:
French citizenship is granted by the French government, not by the Foreign Legion. Foreigners may apply for French citizenship after ??? years of service. Provided that the legionnaire has a good service record the Foreign Legion can facilitate the administrative procedure. Legionnaires who do not wish to acquire French nationality have the option to obtain the status of resident alien.

15. Prior military service:
Many legionnaires have prior military service in their home countries. This is not however a necessary requirement for enlistment.

Forgotten

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Frequently Asked Questions​

Mis à jour le vendredi 16 septembre 2005.

Qualifications

What are the age requirements?
You must be aged 17 - 40 years. 17 year olds require permission from caretakers (parents) with signed authorization to be presented at recruitment office. However, the Legion may overlook age requirements though it is very unlikely.

Will I be scrutinized for being older than most recruits?
It is likely, as with any military service your weaknesses will be exposed. This is part of the life. If the Legion feels your age is a problem they may very well change your date of birth when you receive your new name.

Highlighted Thread(s): “Need To Know Before I Goâ€￾​

Body Size

Does the Legion have height requirements?
No. Legionnaires come in all sizes, however if you are legally a midget you should not trouble yourself.

Highlighted Thread(s): “Another stupid questionâ€￾​

Eyes

Will the Legion accept me if I have corrected vision with glasses?
Yes, however it may also be the very reason they dismiss you. This largely depends on how poor your vision is without the glasses. Bring your glasses with you, if you wear contacts get a pair of glasses.

Will the Legion accept me if I have corrected vision with laser eye surgery?
Yes, PRK would be the recommended procedure. Wait 12 months after the procedure before volunteering. The risks associated with eye surgery may be weighed against you during selection.

Highlighted Thread(s): “Helloâ€￾ "Confusion about ..."​

Feet

I have flat feet, will the Legion accept me?
This depends on how sever your case of flat feet is. If it posses a risk to injury during exercise or reduces you physical ability you may be dismissed.

Highlighted Thread(s): “flat feet - is it really a problem?â€￾​

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Does the Legion take volunteers who have contracted a sexually transmitted disease?
No. Carriers of any disease that can cause a hygiene problem or pose a risk (indirectly one would hope) to fellow Legionnaires is grounds for going civil.

Highlighted Thread(s): “Std,hiv,aids?."​

Tattoos

How does the Legion feel about tattoos?
During selection the Legion will record all tattoos on your body. Tattoos can stir mixed feelings amoung recruiters and it is possible that you can be dismissed on their account. Some symbols can send mixed messages across culture barriers, bring documentation regarding the symbols if necessary.

Highlighted Thread(s): “tattoo issue..." “My short trip..."​

Teeth

How does the Legion regard candidates with dental issues?
During your medical you will see a dentists who holds a score card rating your oral health out of 100. Cavities can quickly add up thus sending you to the door.

Highlighted Thread(s): “Les Dents"​

Last edited:

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland

mitzulick

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
i have a problem, when i clik the urls in this faq section(e.g.the interviews, the medical problems,etc.) a new window appear to me with the message <eror 404 page not found>... well, the message tell itself what the problem is, but i want to know if is there another posibility to see that page... those answers... in the rest, congratulations for the forum and help offered here... it counts a lot for us, wannabes. thanks and please respond me if you know!

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
i have a problem, when i clik the urls in this faq section(e.g.the interviews, the medical problems,etc.) a new window appear to me with the message <eror 404 page not found>... well, the message tell itself what the problem is, but i want to know if is there another posibility to see that page... those answers... in the rest, congratulations for the forum and help offered here... it counts a lot for us, wannabes. thanks and please respond me if you know!

see my post above.

Bob

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I noticed the links were all in French, what about us guys who cant speak anything but English? :confused:

ivo1000

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
fellas, I've tried to follow the faq links, however none of them leads to the gate :confused:

I am particularly interested in food! Searching came up with nothing but mocking newbies, on the matter. :rolleyes:

tom.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
fellas, I've tried to follow the faq links, however none of them leads to the gate :confused:

I am particularly interested in food! Searching came up with nothing but mocking newbies, on the matter. :rolleyes:
"The gate"?

Have you tried putting "123" in the URL next to "legionbbs"?

[ame]http://cervens.net/legionbbs123/showpost.php?p=67717&postcount=9[/ame]

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Perhaps, for some, this is an example of too much information or an information overload. But as the Boys Scouts say, 'Be Prepared'. Half, if not more, of the information below will not be needed by most. But I thought I would be thorough & fair by providing it all as it can be found online. I hope it may help others as it has helped me.

Below you will find a link to the official Aéroports de Paris website. Here you can find information concerning 'Flights, Timetables & Airlines', 'Access, Maps & Car Parks', & 'Procedures & Practical Information'.

Aeroports de Paris.

Within the 'Flights, Timetables & Airlines' tab you will find information regarding;
  • Flight information (departure from Paris, arrival in Paris).
  • Airlines & their terminals (find the contact details of all airlines, with the list of destinations & terminals served).
  • Connecting flights (travelling between terminals or airports?).
Within the 'Access, Maps & Car Parks' tab you will find information regarding;
Within the 'Procedures & Practical Information' tab you will find information regarding;

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Below you will find a link to the official Marseille Provence Airport website. Here you can find information concerning 'Flights & Timetables', 'Access, Plan Your Arrival', & 'Airport Facilities'.

Marseille Provence Airport.

Within the 'Flights & Timetables' tab you will find information regarding;
Within the 'Access, Plan Your Arrival' tab you will find information regarding;
Within the 'Airport Facilities' tab you will find information regarding;

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
For all the wannabes that wouldn't find their d:ck in their own underpants :mad: and the Anciens who are losing every day a little bit more of whatever memory they've got left :cool:, I've designed this special Google map, showing the locations of the various Legion bases/facilities in metropolitan France and around the world. The location on the map is very accurate, so you may zoom very closely and get an exact idea of where it is. In most cases, Google Street View is even available to give you a real idea of the surroundings.
Now, any new person asking "where is Aubagne?" or similar questions will have no excuse... They'll be mercilessly left in the hands of Sean G and/or Kro, for a good roasting ! :D

Location of the Legion bases / facilities

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
1. Documents :
For residents of countries outside the EEC it is necessary to be in possession of a valid passport. The recruiting office cannot offer any aid for obtaining documents. No letters of intent or pre-enlistment can be sent and no financial support can be given for transportation.It is explicitly understood that no guarantees of enlistment are either given or implied. All selection tests are effectuated in France. As a general indication, about 1 of 7 volunteers eventually succeed in the tests.

2. Medical aptitude:
Medical aptitude is determined ONLY by the medical corps of the French army. No foreign certificates are recognized.
Minimum visual acuity:
* uncorrected: minimum 0,5 for each eye
* corrected: or [7/10 and 2/10], or [6/10 and 3/10] or [5/10 and 4/10] (total: 9/10 with the two eyes)
Correction in dioptres :
* near-sighted: -10
* far-sighted: +8

3. French language:
It is not necessary to speak French in order to enlist. French language classes are provided during basic training. However, basic knowledge of French makes life in the early months of the contract much easier.

4. Selection tests:
All candidates pass a summary athletic ability test. The test is known as Luc-Léger test, consisting of running back and forth between two marks, at an increasing pace.

5. Dossiers:
It is not necessary to prepare an enlistment dossier. Valid identity papers or passport (see above) are the only required documents. However, providing more supporting documents increases the chances of enlistment.

6. Pay:
Legionnaires receive the same pay as soldiers in the French regular army. The pay scale is determined by rank, years of service and postings. Bonus pay is awarded according to missions. As an example, basic monthly pay (excluding postings and bonus) is ??? euros for a legionnaire 2nd class and 1556 euros for a staff sergeant. Food, lodging and equipment are provided at no extra charge. Legionnaires who have served for a minimum total of 17.5 years qualify for an army pension payable either in France or abroad.

7. Diplomas:
No scholastic or professional diplomas are required. Qualifications increase the chances of acceptance however whatever the qualifications ALL legionnaires begin their careers as simple soldiers.

8. Specialization:
Legionnaires are trained first and foremost to become elite combat soldiers. They can also with time become specialized in a large variety of other fields (administration, health care, maintenance, computer science, transmissions, public works etc.). These other specialties can facilitate their eventual return to civilian life.

9. Contracts:
The initial contract is for a period of 5 years and is not negotiable. The legionnaire can continue his career with subsequent contracts of 6 months to 3 years until reaching 15 years service or even more if his rank and service record so permit.

10. Advancement:
Advancement is obtained according to merit. Legionnaires are promoted not according to their prior qualifications but by virtue of the qualifications they obtain during their successive contracts.

11. Documentation:
Documentation and brochures can be obtained by writing to the following address.

12. Enlistment forms:
No enlistment forms can be sent by mail or by internet.

13. Leave:
During basic training (16 to 20 weeks) no leave time is given except for an occasional week end. Annual leave is established according to time in service.
1 year : 20 days
2 years : 35 days
3 years and more : 45 days
Leave may be taken anywhere in mainland France. Requests for taking leaves in other countries are subject to special conditions.

14. Naturalization and citizenship:
French citizenship is granted by the French government, not by the Foreign Legion. Foreigners may apply for French citizenship after ??? years of service. Provided that the legionnaire has a good service record the Foreign Legion can facilitate the administrative procedure. Legionnaires who do not wish to acquire French nationality have the option to obtain the status of resident alien. A law passed in 1999 (Français par le sang versé) allows any legionnaire WIA at the service of France to automatically receive French citizenship, if he wants it.

15. Prior military service:
Many legionnaires have prior military service in their home countries. This is not however a necessary requirement for enlistment.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I've updated Joe's post and merged it into the FAQ thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.