a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-Enlisting after 5 year contract?

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Let's say you've finished your 5 year contract and went back to your home country. But things are still the same and people still hate you because you fcked up and sht is still the same. Can you re-enlist with the rank you had when leaving or will you start from the beginning? Will you be able to re-enlist at all?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good question but I would think it depends on your work record in the Legion & also how much time in between re joining. However the ex Legion NCOs will answer it.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Let's say you've finished your 5 year contract and went back to your home country. But things are still the same and people still hate you because you fcked up and sht is still the same. Can you re-enlist with the rank you had when leaving or will you start from the beginning? Will you be able to re-enlist at all?
Around the 4 year mark you will know whether you'll stay beyond your 5 years. The powers that be will come and ask you what your plans are eg: chef de section (platoon leader) will pull you aside for a quiet chat. Things have to be damn miserable on civy street for you to come back to the front gate at Aubagne. But there's no shame in realising that it was a mistake leaving the Legion. Will the Legion take you back? What it says in your service record will play a big part, as well as the amount of time that has passed since your “fin de contrat”. Your former rank will be given back to you. As they said to me during my last week “if you change your mind, don't leave it too long to come back”.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
You must still fit within the age criterion and if you re-enlist within a 6 months timeframe you will retain your rank upon rejoining. If you stayed away longer, you will go back through basic but probably obtain your Cpl stripes upon finishing. This was 30+ years ago and I can only speak for the rank of Cpl.