a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quote from old movie...anybody know?

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Quote is below...movie is possible from 1930's, but UNK as to origin, actors, or any other details.

Anybody has any ideas?

"Allah does not give orders to The Legion. Algiers does..."

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I cant put that quote to a movie but it does sound like something from P. C. Wren’s STORIES OF THE FOREIGN LEGION: 40+ Stories in One Volume.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
In the 30's, the movies about the Legion, where 'Romantic' versions, no "Allah" were involved. Me thinks, the quote is from a late 60's early 70's movie, i just can't remember the name (schucks getting old). Maybe it were ' The Centurions' with Anthony Quinn & Alain Delon...?

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In the trailer for Battle Of Algiers at 1.34 there is an image of a Soviet SU-100 (I believe anyways as opposed to the SU-85), does anyone know when they were first issued to Algeria? I would think after '62 but with the film being filmed in '66 in Algieria, it raises any interesting point as to how fast the Soviets provided support after the French left.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I don't know the quote, but this is a good movie!

Thanks, I'm 90% sure it's from this film but I plan on tracking it down regardless.

It appears Algeria still had 50 SU-100s in reserve stores as of 2010, still looking for the date of issue.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
Thanks, I'm 90% sure it's from this film but I plan on tracking it down regardless.

It was available on Criterion Collection on DVD, but maybe they're out of business now? Take a quick search for it.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I watched it on netflix well the trailer, Didnt float my boat.

I've watched a few of the clips of the film and I've always hated watching bombers planting their devices in cafes where the only purpose is terror. It's tough to watch, too close to home as it will be for anyone of our generation, and frankly it always makes the blood boil.

Being a history buff I want to learn more so I'll watch it once, if not just to critque the uniforms and get a few more glimpses of the MAT-49 (so ugly it's gorgeous).

All the best.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gillo Pontecovo's multi award winning picture ; The battle of Algiers. I have the special edition in French. DVD Video AGTD011. Argent Films. Very good indeed and shows how ruthless the military were.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
shows how ruthless the military were.

The Legion managed to come out on the other side as gentlemen this time also, in this movie! I'm pleased with the director. I especially liked his Moroccan or whatever North-African type of Legonaire.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Gillo Pontecovo's multi award winning picture ; The battle of Algiers. I have the special edition in French. DVD Video AGTD011. Argent Films. Very good indeed and shows how ruthless the military were.

Pity we were not In Northern Ireland. Sorry Charles just sort of popped out that!
Ok heres one for you.
: That,s Bold talk for a one eyed fat man:
Fill your hands you son of a bitch:

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I've watched a few of the clips of the film and I've always hated watching bombers planting their devices in cafes where the only purpose is terror. It's tough to watch, too close to home as it will be for anyone of our generation, and frankly it always makes the blood boil.

Being a history buff I want to learn more so I'll watch it once, if not just to critque the uniforms and get a few more glimpses of the MAT-49 (so ugly it's gorgeous).

All the best.

Moi aussi but for different reasons

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Pity we were not In Northern Ireland. Sorry Charles just sort of popped out that!
Ok heres one for you.
: That,s Bold talk for a one eyed fat man:
Fill your hands you son of a bitch:

I watched a 'Duke' movie marathon a few days ago, classic film Martin, classic.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Martin,

My sentiments are non PC. In 1967 I with others endured some 10,000 IEDs'. Some genuine some fake to disrupt the Colony. I can prove these numbers by factual reference.
My instructions to my unit in EU Kowloon West was to go in very hard and not accept any form of resistance. Simply got on with the job with no messing. In NI in my opinion the politicians should have left it to the military. Had they done so, in the initial phases law and order would have been restored with rapidity. When the troubles started the Roman Catholics welcomed the Army with cups of tea. The card system prior to use of deadly force was plain stupid and tied our hands.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Martin,

My sentiments are non PC. In 1967 I with others endured some 10,000 IEDs'. Some genuine some fake to disrupt the Colony. I can prove these numbers by factual reference.
My instructions to my unit in EU Kowloon West was to go in very hard and not accept any form of resistance. Simply got on with the job with no messing. In NI in my opinion the politicians should have left it to the military. Had they done so, in the initial phases law and order would have been restored with rapidity. When the troubles started the Roman Catholics welcomed the Army with cups of tea. The card system prior to use of deadly force was plain stupid and tied our hands.

Remember seeing the intell about HK and your service there. As for NI I think most if not all concur that our hands were tied.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I watched a 'Duke' movie marathon a few days ago, classic film Martin, classic.

Watched probably the most un PC Western off all time a few days ago and a comedy classic. Care to take a guess!

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Watched probably the most un PC Western off all time a few days ago and a comedy classic. Care to take a guess!
Blazing saddles?...Three amigo's always tickles me as well!